Need Help! Heard this Group was the place to go!

Options
lexoxoc
lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
Hey guys,

I heard this was the group to go to if you were upping your cals.

So, when I first started on MFP I ate 1200 cals a day and lost 20 lbs in about five months. Now, two years later I've been restarting this weight loss process for the third time with only 10 lbs to go until my goal weight. I'm currently at 130 and have slowly reached a goal weight over the past two years, maintained that for awhile, and then decided to lose a bit more.

Here's my issue though, I am feeling realllllllllly hungry on this 1200 cal deficient this time around. Not to sure why this is could be stress, could be a lot of things, but regardless I am.

I went into Scoobys Workshop Calorie Calculator and got these stats with a 20% calorie reduction:

Your Daily Calorie Requirements
-Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1253
-Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1942
-Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1553

Here are my stats:
Female
CW-130 lbs
GW-120 lbs
23 years old
4' 11" tall (give or take a quarter inch)
I workout almost everday but at least 5-6 times a week. I run M-W-F and strength train afterwards. On T-Th-Sa-Su I just do whatever I feel like whether it be yoga, Zumba, circuit training, or a combination of the three, sometimes I will just go to the gym and do each of my favorite machines for about 15-20 minutes for a good cardio workout.

So, should I follow Scoobys Cal Calculator and up my calories to 1550 a day?

Thanks for any advice!

PS: Sorry this is so confusing I really stink at understanding this calorie calculation process.

Replies

• BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Not confusing at all! Welcome to the group. :)

Where are you at with calories right now? What qualifier did you use for your activity level? You sound super active to me!!
  • BluthLover
    Options
    PS .. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/heybales

This dude is awesome. On his profile page he has links to spreadsheets. They're more accurate for working out TDEE. Because you can enter in workouts more specifically.
  • lexoxoc
    Options

Where are you at with calories right now? What qualifier did you use for your activity level? You sound super active to me!!

Thank you for responding!

I was at 1200 cals per day and I would generally eat back half-3/4's of my exercise calories because I was so hungry. So, I had been averaging about 1500 calories per day as it was. I just upped my calories today and set them to 1500. I did not eat back any of my exercise calories today and felt good with being at 1500.
    For activity level I put Sedentary because I'm really only active when I'm working out which is anywhere from 45-120 minutes a day depending on my schedule/motivation, other than that I'm sitting most of the day.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

With 45 - 120 minutes of exercise a day, you are definitely not sedentary (more like moderate or very active). When eating at TDEE or a slight deficit, you will not be eating back your exercise calories, so that needs to be factored in when figuring your TDEE. Don't short-change yourself and underestimate your exercise, it will only result in under eating. Most people underestimate their activity levels, (for fear of being told to eat "too much") and then proceed to under-eat. Be sure you have selected the right activity level...
  • lexoxoc
    Options
    Welcome!

With 45 - 120 minutes of exercise a day, you are definitely not sedentary (more like moderate or very active). When eating at TDEE or a slight deficit, you will not be eating back your exercise calories, so that needs to be factored in when figuring your TDEE. Don't short-change yourself and underestimate your exercise, it will only result in under eating. Most people underestimate their activity levels, (for fear of being told to eat "too much") and then proceed to under-eat. Be sure you have selected the right activity level...

Thank you!!!
  • BluthLover
    Options

Thank you for responding!

I was at 1200 cals per day and I would generally eat back half-3/4's of my exercise calories because I was so hungry. So, I had been averaging about 1500 calories per day as it was. I just upped my calories today and set them to 1500. I did not eat back any of my exercise calories today and felt good with being at 1500.
    For activity level I put Sedentary because I'm really only active when I'm working out which is anywhere from 45-120 minutes a day depending on my schedule/motivation, other than that I'm sitting most of the day.

Yeah I think you prob need to eat more!! That Can be hard thou!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Don't confuse the MFP activity level that includes no exercise with the TDEE level Moderately Active you used for your figures in OP.

You should still probably round up to nearest 100 above that though, if not really the next level up. Or use the spreadsheet.

But if you were talking about the MFP activity level - forget it as it is meaningless once you enter your own eating goal which does include exercise now.
    Also meaningless is the "in 5 weeks " estimate, as MFP's math is based on wrong thing now. As is the Goal's page math.
  • lexoxoc
    Options

Don't confuse the MFP activity level that includes no exercise with the TDEE level Moderately Active you used for your figures in OP.

You should still probably round up to nearest 100 above that though, if not really the next level up. Or use the spreadsheet.

But if you were talking about the MFP activity level - forget it as it is meaningless once you enter your own eating goal which does include exercise now.
    Also meaningless is the "in 5 weeks " estimate, as MFP's math is based on wrong thing now. As is the Goal's page math.

Thank you!