Vegan Protein

Options
Hey!
I need help.
I've recently become vegan and I'm loving it, the only problem is I'm struggling with my protein intake.
Where I live I don't have things like tempeh, seiten or any soy products.
I've mostly been eating lentils, quinoa, seeds and nuts for my protein.
I'm just finding it hard to achieve 60g of protein within my recommended 1200 calories, any suggestions?

Replies

• RingTailedFox
    RingTailedFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym every day, so I try to keep my protein up around 115g/day. I don't really like to use processed forms of protein, but I will do tofu. My primary sources are quinoa, beans and lentils. I have a protein supplement that I love! I highly suggest getting one if you're struggling to keep your protein intake high enough. Most grocery stores have a section, but if they don't have a vegan one, you can always order online.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest ordering online. Also, things like whole wheat pasta or tortillas will boost protein intake.
  • feffynj
    feffynj Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There's material out there to indicate that you don't really need as much protein as most people consume. The high protein rhetoric is likely perpetuated by the meat/dairy/egg industries which are in the business of making money, and they definitely influence government recommendations. There are also links between diseases/illnesses and too much protein.

Unless you're a high performance athlete, from what you wrote, you're likely getting enough--and it's my opinion you don't need supplements, shakes, or processed vegan protein stuff like seitan. So long as you're eating a balanced diet, whole foods will give you exactly what you need.

That said, I eat seitan and fake meat aplenty--mostly as convenience foods. I actually wish I was more like you!
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There's material out there to indicate that you don't really need as much protein as most people consume. The high protein rhetoric is likely perpetuated by the meat/dairy/egg industries which are in the business of making money, and they definitely influence government recommendations. There are also links between diseases/illnesses and too much protein.

Unless you're a high performance athlete, from what you wrote, you're likely getting enough--and it's my opinion you don't need supplements, shakes, or processed vegan protein stuff like seitan. So long as you're eating a balanced diet, whole foods will give you exactly what you need.

Yep! I even had one of the diet guys from Beachbody tell me this exact thing.

That being said, I still buy protein powders, mostly because I think they're yummy. I use the Nutiva Hemp protein and the Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice protein
  • escarmalanes
    Options

Yep! I even had one of the diet guys from Beachbody tell me this exact thing.

That being said, I still buy protein powders, mostly because I think they're yummy. I use the Nutiva Hemp protein and the Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice protein

Do you find vegan protein powder gives you wind ? Maybe just me !!
  • appifanie
    Options
    Not the one I'm using, but I was using one that had some digestive enzymes in it and that one did!
  • worldmom
    worldmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat about 30-40 grams of protein a day. I work out 4-6 days a week, I've eaten a plant-based diet for two years now, and have never had a problem with protein deficiency. :)
  • appifanie
    Options
    Yeah I don't think we really *need* it but I like it :)

I ate so much watermelon the other day (about 1/4 of a whole) that I got 7 grams of protein from watermelon :D
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to majorly boost my protein on days when I workout (thus giving me at least 200 extra calories) is putting an entire can of chickpeas or butter beans on my salad. A can of chickpeas will run you 450 calories, but you'll be stuffed, and it's 25g of protein. Plus I adore them, so it's like a treat. Butter beans are also delicious, about 355 calories per can with 18g of protein.