Fruit and sugar...

Options
cloveraz
cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
So, I am already over my sugar intake, granted it is from eating fruit, but still...Just curious what everyone has cut down their ratio to...P.S...everyone at work had been commenting on how sick I looked. I was curious, too know, if during the first couple of weeks of going primal, does one tend to look sickly?...

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I didn't notice any changes about looking sickly, but a lot of people have a transition...issue?...anyway, it'll go away.

Re: sugar and fruit, I cut down to fruit 1 or 2x/day, and only low GI things like berries. Though, I am probably going to make a paleo banana bread soon, but it's different from eating an entire banana at once.

Good luck on your journey!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I didn't specifically pick a ratio of sugar. I did, as PrimalRunner mentioned also, move to the only fruit I eat having a low glycemic index. That mostly means tomatoes, blackberries and strawberries for me. That's okay, those are my preferred fruit anyhow! I eat a handful a day, at most and some days none. Other than that, I get sugar from vegetables. My sugar intake is very low. Then again, I'm convinced that the only sugar we should have in our body comes from naturally occurring sources of fruits and vegetables.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been Paleo for 2.5 months now. I try to cut down on fruit, but in my book if the choice is another piece of fruit or something from the vending machine, who cares about the sugar? After the first month my brain calmed itself down and I cut out dried fruits and now I only eat a piece of fruit and try to do the lower glycemic ones if possible.

The only comments that I got were that I looked tired for the first month- then my skin cleared up and people started saying I looked great.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The transformation to Paleo/Primal does sometimes make people feel/look a little ill. It WILL get better, then you will feel like superwoman as long as you are eating enough, especially fat.

For me, sugar matters, even from fruit. Until I have no more health problems (metabolic issues, excess fat) I will limit them strictly. I get all the same nutrients from vegetables.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I generally only eat fruit in season and coming from a local source.A the moment we are busy picking wild blueberries and enjoying the end of our strawberry season.
    In the winter if I eat anything,it's berries I have frozen.
    I have a sugar issue(as in I am addicted to it)and find if I eat a lot of fruit,I crave sugar.I like to eat fruit with something fatty to balance things for me..heavy cream works a charm or cooking berries in butter and then eating them with full fat greek yogurt.
    As for sickly,not really heard that but I have felt sick when starting this way of living as my body was cleansing itself from grains.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I felt and looked sick during the first couple weeks of going Primal/Paleo. I was so tired... I couldn't even muster the energy to go for a light jog.

I recently fell into a trap with fruit, dark chocolate and paleo "goodies", and I think my sugar intake was way too high. I'm not doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox, and I'm only eating one granny smith apple per day. After It's done, I'm going to limit my fruit intake to one serving a day and paleo baked goodies only a couple times a week (if that).
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Remember your body is detoxifying from all the junk/carbs/sugar and it will take a little bit to right it self. So just be patient and you'll look like a million bucks soon!!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm 48 1/2 years old and I just got a compliment from a total stranger the other day. She said I looked like I was 35 and couldn't believe that I had two grandbabies!!! That made my day!!!

Just hang in there!!!!!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    for most people, i think fruit is totally fine! i think the bigger question is really are you just grabbing fruit because of the munchies, or are you really hungry? if you are really hungry, have something with some substance, IMHO. but fruit is not evil! rock on if it makes you happy. sometimes we dissect things too much, especially at the beginning :)