New ways for cooking collards/ greens

Options
So, I am from NC and collards are a winter must! However we southerners love to cook collards and other greens with plenty of salted pork (country ham, corned ham hocks, fat back, streak of lean). If you don't live in the Southeast then you probably know very little about all the different "seasoning meats" I just listed. Admittedly, it is incredible, but it is terrible for you. So here are two different ways I love to eat collards. (for the record, collards are a type of green just like kale, mustard greens, swiss chard. These are hearty leaves that get sweet once the frost falls!)

"Healthy" Soul-food Collards
2lbs. collards de-stemmed and chopped
2tsp olive oil
1or 2 dried cayenne pepper chopped ( pepper flakes work as well)
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbs. diced onion
1/2 tsp. paprika
salt to taste

In a large pot warm your olive oil on medium- medium high heat. Once the oil is warm add cayenne, garlic, onion and paprika. Sweat it until the onions are translucent. Then add your collards to the pot with about a half cup of water. Mix the greens in good and cover with a lid. Let the collards steam until the leaves soften and turn color.

This is a new family favorite. Cooking it this way cuts out the fat and sodium and leaves all the nutrients in the leaves.

Ceasar Style Collards (makes one serving. great for stuffing pitas)
1/2 c. chopped blanched collards
tbs. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. Good Seasoning Italian dressing mix
2 tsp. shredded parmesan

Spray a small pan with pam, Toss onions in. Cook until translucent. Then add chopped collards and seasoning. At the end add the parmesan cheese and let it melt!
This is great for wraps and pitas. It is also wonderful with chicken breast or shrimp or stretch it farther and add more collards! This is surprisingly yummy!

Replies

• 84babe
    84babe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love collard greens. When I cook them I use bacon grease! They are soooooo yummy, but so unhealthy that way!
  • leeshac13
    leeshac13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love Collards too!!! A healthy way is use smoked turkey legs or wings. I let the turkey boil for a hour and then I add the collards and season to taste. I also heard that someone used turkey bacon.
  • rvfamily4
    Options
    I am not from the South but love my greens. Those recipes sound really good! I will have to give them a try.
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not from the South but love my greens. Those recipes sound really good! I will have to give them a try.
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    Sound tasty! Thanks for sharing