Loose Skin Woes

Ok I really do try to be a positive person as I have been traveling on this journey. I love the weight loss. I love feeling healthier. I love being able to move and not be exhausted. I love so many things! But what I am discovering is that there is two things at this particular moment that I am not too happy with and am trying to not let it get me down. First is the hair loss, it is definetly noticeable unless I do my hair a certain way, sadly it is not the best way and I do not like it, but whatever- I know that it will eventually grow back but JEEZ!!!

The second thing is I am beginning to really see the loose skin. My arms are horrendous in my opinion and it probably bothers me the most because I know I will never be able to get surgery done on them. My insurance will not cover them and who has the money for that? So now I am stuck wearing elbow length sleeves, which I know is not a tragedy but I spent so many years being limited in what I could wear due to my weight that I was hoping those days were over. So I either wear shorter sleeves and let the flapping begin and own the WLS or never wear those kind of sleeves (just shorter short sleeves). I can see the typical WLS loose skin developing on my stomach and it is nasty, but I know at least there I might be able to get plastic surgery some day. The boobs, oh my!!.... lets just say WOW.... good thing my husband could not care less but dang!! LOL.... again possible plastic surgery since my insurance will pay for both stomach and breasts if I develop rashes or something medically indicated. Plus now I am seeing the loose skin on my neck which makes me look older, and that can't be fixed either.

How do you guys handle this? Emotionally and otherwise? I know it sounds so petty to whine about this but that is how I am feeling atm and just needed to vent.

Replies

• MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Hi, odiemom! I had my RNY August 7, 2012. I have the same problems as you - my hair is rapidly thinning, my upper arm skin nearly knocks me out when I brush my teeth and the excess skin on my thighs continues to move after my feet stop. I'm probably never going to be able to wear a swimsuit in front of my grand kids without scarring them for life. BUT, I am off my diabetes and blood pressure meds. Yesterday I had to go shopping in the misses section!. Wow! There are so many more choices in that department. And I am no longer morbidly obese, but rather just overweight. I have increased both my life span and quality of life. Overall, the benefits far exceed the drawbacks!

Keep track of any infections you might get in the loose skin folds. Those are the areas where yeast infections settle. Go to your doctor each time you get any skin breakdown. Your insurance might actually pay for skin removal if you have repeated infections. Just a thought! By any chance, does your surgeon conduct a support group? Mine does and I've found it to be very helpful.

Please don't feel as though your concerns are petty. They are valid and more common than you might realize. I've had my share of mini melt downs over food. I can't eat much of a variety yet. My diet consists of soup, cheese and protein bars (I'm a little behind on the learning curve!). But I look at it as my brain reprogramming itself. Food no longer rules my life. May it remain that way for all of us! Best wishes to you! :smile:
  • Try care credit. They give you an interest free credit card for 18 months. That's how I had the excess skin removed!