Cutting tips

Options
It looks like the majority of us are here to lose weight so I wanted to see what you guys recommend. What makes cutting easier for you? What saves time?

My personal favorite is the slow cooker and a massive pack of Costco chicken. Relatively cheap and a decent blank slate for over 3-4 dinners for my wife and I. Feel like Mexican? Add ancho chilies. Feel like chili after? Add beans for decent macros. Still have left overs? Season what ever you do that night to over power the original seasoning. Saves a ton of time.

Of course Greek yogurt is indispensable. You need that **** in your fridge.

A lesser known item is Tempe. Which is fermented soy and grains. If I'm not mistaken, the fermentation process negates some of the negative aspects of soy. It has a funky taste that can be toned down by steaming and has fantastic macros. Think chili or asain stirfry. Trader Joes has it pretty cheap considering.

How about you guys? Diet just came to mind but exercise tips are more than welcome.

Replies

• SpdDemon426
    SpdDemon426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One thing I do is i try and get foods that have a high amount of fiber. Less calories while being more macro dense and foods high in fiber are more filling.
  • isaacharder
    Options
    Well ****. Looks like I double posted. Anyone know how to delete a thread?
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    Im still trying to find my protein sources without too much carbs and fats; creeping you guys' diaries has helped a lot already.

cottage cheese is indeed an awesome source of protein.
    I eat 6 meals/day and drink a lot of water, both make me feel less hungry.

I can't really say anything more than that because I'm still experimenting, but most of the time I prepare my meat (mostly chicken) with onions, add veggies and some rice/potatoes/pasta if needed. Basically this cooking process describes everything from spaghetti to wok.

Scrambled eggs with chicken in the morning is also something nice.
    For lunch a salad with chicken, apple and raisins is also pretty awesome. Add some dressing if you want (you can basically make it yourself very easy with oil and vinegar).

EDIT:
    Well ****. Looks like I double posted. Anyone know how to delete a thread?
    what about editing your post to 'delete please' and than reporting it. Or just wait for luke (group moderator) to do it for you.
  • isaacharder
    Options
    Ah one I forgot. Pistachios. I like cashews but I eat too quickly. The process to pistachios make them feel much more filling. Especially if the shells are flavored.
  • water_coloured
    water_coloured Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken salad (no dressing/croutons) is one of my favorite things to eat.
    Also: frozen veggies, eggs, Greek yogurt, whey, cottage cheese - all pretty filling with great macros.

Check this guy's YouTube channel - he posts tons of good recipes:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelKoryFitness/videos?flow=grid&view=1
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLAFEC98EE397437C5

And here is a protein cheesecake (~800 calories for the entire thing):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361

I'm not sure if any of you are on an EC stack, but it works incredibly well for appetite suppression and energy.
  • Sesaza
    Sesaza Posts: 49
    Options
    Tren. Serious.

Just lower your calories brah, people make this **** too complicated. Just eat less and eat more protein because protein is more satiating (filling) than carbs or fats.
  • isaacharder
    Options
    True its not complicated. Its just basic math. Doesn't mean its necessarily easy though. Just getting things out there that make cutting life easy.
  • Sesaza
    Options
    Yeh mate, its still going to be hard regardless. Nothing really makes it easier, unless you decide to drink the milk of the gods, in which case, you might feel even more pressure on yourself.

Are you looking to just lose weight, or lose weight, gain muscle?
  • stoyanov
    stoyanov Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be hard if you know what you're doing, that's the point of the thread - to share things that help.
    You don't have to juice to lose weight, brah, that's ridiculous - if you wanna gain more muscle, faster or if you're near your genetic potential - sure. But just to lose a few pounds of fat? C'mon!
  • Sesaza
    Options
    In general, juicing just for weight loss is almost impractical.

And cutting is very hard for some people. I know some people who only needed to drop maybe 10 kg, but couldnt do it in over a years time. and these guys were counting every macro, taking note of every cal they burnt, etc, etc. Then I know some other guys who popped some phenteramine and dropped kgs just like that.
  • isaacharder
    Options
    Sure the thought of a shortcut is nice, but the pride of saying "natty"..... Ill have time to build muscle after. I was fatasfatass so if I maintain my lbm through my cut, then I'll be pretty set.

Back on topic.... Fasted cardio in the morning. I love it! Wakes me up and sets the tone for the day. Lift at night with a bit of caffiene or pre-workout.

Also creatine..... Forgive me natty overlord for I have sinned. It seems to help with lifting. My volume and numbers are way up since "saturation". If you're going for aesthetics and not numbers, its worth it in my mind. Inb4 "creatine not natty" **** storm.
  • stoyanov
    Options
    > In general, juicing just for weight loss is almost impractical.
    yeah, that's my point, taught you were implying otherwise
    > And cutting is very hard for some people. I know some people who only needed to drop maybe 10 kg, but couldnt do it in over a years time.
    well, maybe I'm just lucky, but since I started counting calories I'm losing consistently ~1kg/week

> Fasted cardio in the morning
    fit information repository says it makes no difference to weight loss, which makes sense, since it's the same amount of kcals
    However, I too enjoy starting everyday with a 5km run, just gives me lots of energy, feels good, man
    btw. I also take 10mg yhcl + 200mg caffeine before I run and naturally fast for another 3-4 hours, so I'm doing kind of IF, but just because of yhcl. The whole thing works great for me
  • Sesaza
    Options
    mate, you shouldnt worry so much about the natty title. alot of people who juice claim natty and in countries where it is not illegal, absolutely no one gives a damn if you are natty or not. media has done a good job demonizing steroids.

creatine is fine. i heard it works wonders for some people.
  • stoyanov
    Options
    yeah, creatine is the most proven-to-work supplement out there, ton of research according to examine.com. also cheap if you don't fall for the marketing bull****.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein, and be damned sure to get your fiber!
  • SmokeAndFire
    Options
    I am just trying to make sure that my body is never short on energy nor protein. I figure that way I can spare muscle.

I have been bulking for a month or so, but I'm going to transition into cutting with strength training for maintenance of muscle.

There is no chance that I'm doing things optimally, but the results have been encouraging none the less.
  • norulesjustplay
    Options

how much do you eat daily? Is what MFP suggests enough?
  • holidayhawk
    Options
    When I was cutting I basically did a bastardized paleo diet with lifting and a **** ton of cardio. I played pickup ultimate Frisbee 2-3 days a week for several hours, which worked out to several miles of jogging and sprinting, also added a fair amount of running or walking. Just keep moving, even if it is a walk. If you can get 5 miles of walking or running in a day you will get a pretty good leg up for losing weight.

If you have the money buy a fitbit. Makes it real easy and it links with myfitnesspal.
  • stoyanov
    Options

how much do you eat daily? Is what MFP suggests enough?

1g of protein per pound of lean body weight is pretty much the standard minimum recommendation for protein
    for fiber, it's a bit more complicated, I only recently started tracking it - someone on /fit/ suggested tracking fiber instead of sugar in mfp and that's what I'm doing.
    Here's a good article on fiber: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/fiber_made_simple&cr=

from the same article
    the common recommendation is 25-35 grams a day, with some experts saying around 40 grams.
  • Daguava
    Daguava Posts: 3
    Options
    Best tip I can offer is to keep little to no snack-food in the house, it's a lot harder to make an impulse snack, if there's nothing you can eat fast. I try to keep foods around that take a little bit of prep, helps make choices easier (since I'm usually a bit on the lazy side when it comes to making meals.)

Another thing I've noticed is that it's really easy to ignore hunger if you're busy, so after a workout, if I don't have much lined up for the day I'll do whatever keeps me busy (quite often falling back to video games.) I'm a Comp Sci major in college, so I've always got a few personal projects going that I can go back and forth between.