Anyone?

Options
norahwynn
norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
Hey everyone! I've kind of noticed that this group doesn't seem very active, and by active I mean it seems that there aren't many people posting things here.

I'm just wondering who the active members are??

ROLL CALL!!

Replies

• ldhfcrew
    ldhfcrew Posts: 14
    Options
    I log in every day....
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I tend to listen more than talk.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I log in most days and read through topics. I haven't been doing kettlebells though. I hurt my back in January. I'm still exercising, but for some reason swings just put my back in pain fairly quickly.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group and started doing kettlebell workouts very recently. I am doing the beginner Fitness Blender workout, minus the halos because I need a lighter weight, and also purchased Sarah Lurie's 4 DVD set, which I have only viewed a small portion of. I went to a kettlebell gym right by my house and did an introductory session with the owner before I purchased a 20 lb. kettlebell. I now see that I also need a lighter weight to work with for my upper body. Probably will go with a 15, but would love to have something closer to 12. I think 10 will be too light in a short period of time.
  • kdew2
    kdew2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I log in MFP everyday, but you are correct, this group isn't very active. I've posted here before, but don't seem to get reply's, so I tend to just scan it periodically to see if there is anything new.

I love working with KB's though and do so regularly. :)
  • norahwynn
    Options
    It's nice to see some people are somewhat active in the group even though there's not much posted. :drinker:

I've just started kettlebell's about 2 weeks ago and really like them a lot. I purchased a 15, 20 & 25 lb set, but like you 'luckynky', I need to get something lighter. I can work with the 15 lb ok, but my reps suffer. I actually think 10 lbs will be perfect for me.

My follow up questions are:

What's your favorite kettlebell exercise?
    how many times a week do you kettlebell train?
    what are your workouts on the days that you're not 'kettlebelling'? :)

It's nice to meet you all!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I really like kettlebell. However I've been out for 3 weeks healing from an injury I sustained in another sport. Normally I go to a kettlebell class twice a week with a fun and challenging peer group. I'll start again next week on a lighter weight than my normal 53 lb KB. It's one of my goals to do a whole workout with a 53 lb KB and then move up to the 63 lb KB I've got waiting in the wings.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of hard core kettlebell users on this site.

My favorite lift is the snatch, but I also really like Turkish get-ups.

I train with kettlebells roughly 3 times per week. I used to do full on KB programs, but these days, I'm only using them for HIIT. I'm doing a powerlifting program with a strength coach, so my workouts mostly center on barbell lifting, but I tack on 5 to 10 minutes of KB intervals to the end of each workout. I do a lot of joint and spinal mobility and soft tissue work on rest days, in addition to a lot of walking and, at least once a week, hill sprints.
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My favorite is also the snatch—it’s the most fun and looks the coolest. And it cost me some time and some blisters to get my form just right, so I’m also proud of it!

Like Casey, I strength train with a coach and our typical program involves two days of heavy barbell work and one day of KB work. My KB workouts are usually about an hour long and involved basics like TGUs, snatches, C&Ps, lots of core stuff, squats, lunges, and also bodyweight exercises. I do these workouts in a circuit with no rests, so they’re also great cardio. My KB training is intended as conditioning work, to help me with endurance and to target some of the smaller muscles.

Currently, I am training for a powerlifting meet, so I am not doing any KB work. My non-KB workouts are your typical powerlifting training—lots of bench presses, squats and deadlifts and whatever assistance work I need.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I love me some kettlebells and I log in most everyday.

I'm a novice, so I'm still working on form. I have to say that I enjoy swings, squats and snatches so far. Turkish get-ups can kiss my behind at the moment, but I'm still working on them. lol
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells, I started using them in December and they definetely make a difference for me (compared to traditional strength workouts). I log in to MFP daily, but like someone else mentioned, I tend to listen more than talk.

My fav moves are high pulls, clean and presses, and deck squats. TGU make me homicidal, I still gotta find the love for them. Overall I try to do 2 KB workouts a week. I love all types of workouts though, especially kickboxing and step. I've noticed my cardio seems to have improved along with my KB workouts.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm also active on the site and in this group when there are posts that are somewhat recent...

Like a couple of the other members, I'm also working a barbell strength program right now (Wendler's 5/3/1) and doing high volume vo2 max training with kettlebells on my active "rest" days, and have started incorporating a bit of double KB stuff into my accessory work on the 5/3/1/ days.

I started training with KBs about a year ago, and I absolutely love them and plan to keep them in my training arsenal indefinitely.

I love TGUs, swings, snatches, clean & presses, and clean & jerks.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the front squat (with doubles) and the windmill.
    As for frequency, 3 days on, rest day, 2 days on, rest day
    When not kettlebelling, I am sandbagging and bodyweighting.

As for the TGU, a lot of people get frustrated because its a grinding, low rep, almost boring exercise....but the benefits are great. I have recently gone back to doing them naked (meaning no weight, sorry for the visual haha) and purely concentrating on the movement itself.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm still here & check in often but rarely post.

I'm currently doing 5/3/1 as well and doing kettlebells & mountain biking on my off days.

I'm going to the States for a holiday next week. I'll bring a kettlebell. I've debated bringing two 16 kg bells, but due to weight/space may just take one 'bell, probably a 40 lb or maybe a 20 kg. Not sure yet!
  • Jan3D
    Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to kettle bells and love them. I find you tube videos to learn the moves. Just went out of town for a couple of days and took my 15 and 20 lb kettle bells with me in the car so I would work out...and I did! I have a little circuit that I'm doing now,
    Presses 4x10 each side, swings x 30, bicep curls x 30, figure 8's 20 each direction, around the worlds 20 each side, then a minute rest and repeat. I do that 3-5 times depending on time and if I'm adding to the end of a weight workout. Love the conditioning and I really sweat. Gaining strength fast and need to get a 25 lb soon. I'm female and 56 years old, looking forward to seeing the results!
  • jsazieser
    Options
    This is only my 7th day using MFP and actually my first post in a group.

I've been doing kettlebells for about 18 months or so...always with a trainer, although I have a few lighter kbs at home (20 lb and 10 lb).

My favorite kb exercise is the alternate military press. Not sure why. I use a 15kg kb in each hand and can do about 20 reps before conking out. I guess maybe I like it because it makes me feel strong.

I currently work out five days a week (M-F) for 30 minutes doing a circuit workout along with TRX. I am still very overweight because I've only recently started working on my food so this workout kicks my butt. My husband just started working out with me and with our new trainer, we're seeing great results. A good trainer is a must in my mind. With my other trainer, I went through the motions, but didn't get the cardio...now I get both cardio and strength training...which is helping me lose weight.

On the weekends, I'd like to say I walk, but I don't regularly. I tend to walk at the park with my dogs a few times a week and sometimes that hits on the weekends...sometimes not.

I am thinking I need to add some yoga to my fitness life because I know I'm not nearly as flexible as I could/should be. I've never done yoga before, but I think the stretches would be effective.
  • Angela_BB40
    Angela_BB40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was doing Jillian Michael's Shred it with weight 3 days a week as well as another one on youtube that i really like. I also have a Danskin kettlebell workout. I am using 8lbs, but want to increase to 15, but can't find one in store, except for target and it's $40.00. Wal-Mart has one that's always out of stock for less.

August 1 I started doing Ripped in 30 with Jillian, but plan on doing my kettlebell workouts on some evenings and on my rest day. I'd love to friend anyone who is doing kettlebells. I swear they have defined my shoulders and improved my core.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I recntly started doing 20 'bell workouts about 3 times a week, and I do one hour of Zumba 3 times a week. I just bought my 10 lb. kettlebell for halos and arm work, going to use the 20 lb for round-the-world and swings. Now that I have the lower weight 'bell, I will bump up my workouts to a 30 minute routine 3-4 times a week.
  • norahwynn
    Options
    I think for right now, my routine will be what I've been doing for about 2 or 3 days now, which is 20-25 minutes consisting of Dead lifts , Round the World, Swing, Windmill, Figure 8, Military Press, Bicep Curls, & Squats. I'm going to try to slowly increase this to about 45 minutes while incorporating more exercises.

Still trying to master the Snatch and the Get Up.
  • fliss2323
    fliss2323 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just joined!! Am a kettlebell addict and nice to see likewise people!! I follow Tracy Reifkinds workouts and sometimes Lauren Brooks.... does anyone else have any recommendations. Or any help with blistered hands??? Mucho appreciated!