People Who Gained During Stage 1, HELP MEEEEE

Options
stef_monster
stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
I love this program. I love doing the exercises and discovering that I'm so much stronger than I thought I was, and seeing myself gaining strength is incredibly rewarding. I love getting to eat more than 1200 calories per day (even though I'm on a 250 deficit most of the time). I feel better physically and mentally, and it's slowly but surely building my confidence.

However, I've gained about 4 or 5 pounds since starting this program. The fact that I had gained 3 pounds in March/April is what made me start researching lifting. So now, all told, I'm 138 pounds, up from the 130 that I worked so hard for.

To be fair, the 138 I'm carrying now looks a heck of a lot better than it did the first time around. I can see a LOT more definition in my arms, legs, and even abs. I think I've gained about an inch on each thigh, a quarter-inch on each bicep, and a half-inch around my waist. That's what's killing me. I keep telling myself it's water weight, or it's because I'm not 'empty'.

I just started on the '3 sets of 10 reps' part of Stage 1, and I really, really want to keep going. Has this happened to anyone else? Did the weight/ inches gain slow down at some point? I've been doing 15-30 minutes of cardio pretty much every day because it's been my go-to for dropping pounds and inches for years. I just need a little reassurance that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I gained during stage 1 also. Tbh, it hasn't gone away, but hasn't gone up either. And I prefer how I look now than when I started, and that's what counts. But we are all different. Keep at it, you'll get to where you want to be xxx
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I feel strongly that this program works! I went from 211 to 215 in my 6 weeks of S1, but I did lose several inches. It's different for everyone. From what I've seen having talked to others doing NR is that for some they see the fat loss early, then it tapers off, then see it again in later stages. Some have said they saw no weight change until S3 or 4, but they got a lot stronger and clothes were fitting better. Focus on getting stonger, and mastering your form, add in some cardio if you haven't already that has helped me. I weighed in at the doc the other day and am back down to 211.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How can you be upset when you admit you look better at this weight than the lower weight??? That always confuses the heck out of me. Stop obsessing over scale weight!

But to answer the question, yes I gained. Keep in mind (the book mentions this...) that often times when you go off of the "1200 calorie extreme deprivation diet" your body can gain a lot of weight just from glycogen/water. When you're on a calorie deficit your glycogen stores are minimal. You say you're still on a deficit, but I bet its a ton smaller than it was before.

I gained a couple lbs and have been jumping around on the scale like crazy. During TOM I was up about 5 lbs. I felt super bloated too. But I just waited and sure enough it came back down. Still been hovering. I would -like- to see the scale go down but I promised myself to at least finish stage 1 before I started tweaking the diet too much. Also, from some other posts I read, they had to get through stage 2 and beyond before the lbs really started melting.
  • stef_monster
    Options
    Thanks guys- it's good to know that I'm not an isolated incident. I intend to keep at it as long as my waistband doesn't get TOO much tighter. I'm going to keep at the cardio, too. I'm addicted to the endorphins.

To answer elvensnow's question: I'm upset because it's hard to switch gears so suddenly when the scale's word has been law for so long. It took a massive amount of work to get down to my goal, and it's jarring to see the number jump up despite being so careful and diligent. When I first started circuit training with very light weights, I gained an inch on my waist that's still there after nearly a year. It's just frustrating to see two of my three measurements of success (pounds and inches, the third being general well-being) going south.

I'm going to keep on top of it, and see where I end up in a month or two.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm upset because it's hard to switch gears so suddenly when the scale's word has been law for so long. It took a massive amount of work to get down to my goal, and it's jarring to see the number jump up despite being so careful and diligent.

I hear ya. I am still working on this myself!
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The only people who see the number on the scale are you & your doctor. Would you be happier if you lost a couple pounds but didn't see any difference in your pants size... or would you be happier if you lost a pants size but didn't lose a pound on the scale??

Now, this is something I too struggle with. And I still weigh myself every.damn.day. But looking at it this way has started to help.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I completed the entire program and gained 5lbs. My clothes still fit except they fit differently. Tighter in some areas because of muscle. This program is really for gaining muscle and strength. If you are gaining each week steadily, then you may be eating too much. Cut back 100 calories a day and see what happens for the next couple of weeks.
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with Natini. I gained about 4 pounds and lost about 6 inches in Stage 1 eating at the book's recommended maintenance calories. By the time I finished Stage 3, I lost the weight I gained, plus about 10 inches overall - BUT I also gradually cut about 300 calories from my diet. I realized that the deficit (fat loss) calories recommended by the book are about where I sit for TDEE - 20% too. Its about experimentation and patience.
  • ralandon89
    ralandon89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've included a link to my progress pic... The first is at the beginning of Stage 1, I was 125#. The second is at the end of stage 1 (which took me 7 weeks because I missed a few workouts and insisted upon making them up) and 131#.

1000308_635845444982_646560333_n.jpg

(I hope it works, I've never posted a pic on here before)
  • ralandon89
    Options
    At any rate... I'm 6# heavier, and although I did not do any measurements, I can tell you I lost fat and my butt popped up! I have all these clothes I bought before I started NROL4W because my others didn't fit, and now the waists are too big!
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad I found this thread. I am up about 6 lbs 1/2 through stage 1. It was shocking to see the number on the scale. But DUH, I forgot that it's both common and normal.
    But I hear you, after losing 21 lbs, gaining back 6 made me feel like cr@p. Whew! Feel better now.
  • stef_monster
    Options
    @ralandon89, you look FABULOUS!

I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks, but I did do a few measurements the other day to find I'd gone down 1/4" or 3/8" in my waist. Doesn't sound like much, but I was jumping for joy. My pants are tighter in the thighs and butt now, but I like the definition I'm starting to see.

I'm going to face my fears and do a weigh-in and measurements after my off week at the end of Stage 1. All I have left are the two AMRAP workouts. I just want several days for my muscles to recover so I can get an accurate reading. I get really 'puffy' for a couple of days after lifting weights.
  • ralandon89
    Options
    I felt like I looked even tinier after that off-week. I apparently retain a lot of water while working out, so when I did that off-week and that went away I was like, "Hey, I kinda see some abs!"
  • panthur
    panthur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem! Gained 4 lbs since starting, and I've been working on Stage 1 for two months. Only one more workout left plus AMRAPs. I've gained an inch in the hips and some in the thighs and lost an inch at the waist. Progress feels slow!

I think part of it is my eating has been at a higher calorie level than I should. My strength is definitely increasing, and I do love that feeling. Maybe I should take after pictures and see if I see a difference. Hubby says my arms and shoulders are cut now. I just want to see those hips shrink a little so I can fit in half my pants!
  • lavsk23
    lavsk23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am seeing the same 'problems' and have been freaking out till I found this thread :) I gained an inch on my hips and lost half an inch on my waist after almost 8 weeks of NROLFW. I have also gained 5 lbs :( Trying to make peace with it. I have been eating at a deficit. It keeps varying but never went over maintenance calories for sure. So I was kind of bummed seeing the gains. But I am just telling myself that this is water being held in my muscles. I am not sure how true this theory is.
    I just want to keep faith in this program and continue. Other than these stats, I really love this program so far!

But a little hope that the inches would come off in near future would do me so good :D
  • stef_monster
    Options
    UPDATE

BREAKING NEWS

HOLD ON TO YOUR UNDIES LADIES

I lost the weight! The inches are still there, I think. However, I'll take a half inch net gain on my waist if my butt keeps on looking like this. DANG.

I completed Stage 1 on 8/5 (did the two AMRAP workouts on my 'off week') and started Stage 2 on 8/15. I weighed myself on 8/13 and clocked in at 132.5, which is right about where I started. My Aria scale says that my body fat is higher now, but I don't trust it much because it changes drastically based on hydration.

I also took some progress pics. I'm thanking my lucky stars that I had the presence of mind to take some before I started the program. I would love to post them because I'm insanely proud, but I'm not really comfortable showing all you good people that much @ss. Suffice it to say that I'm pleased with the results, and my faith in NROLFW is renewed. If you take anything away from this, let it be that pictures and clothes are the only things that won't lie to you and only weigh yourself after you haven't done ANY lifting for 4 or 5 days. I've been eating around a 300 calorie deficit according to my FitBit (not quite TDEE -20%, but close) most of the time, and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

There IS a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's reflecting off of your sexy, sexy butt/ legs/ arms/ abs. Don't give up!
  • ShineeChicken
    ShineeChicken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's what happened to me in stage 1: I went through the first 6 workouts (about 4 weeks) with what seemed to be a steadily expanding stomach and absolutely no weight loss. My clothes were fitting tighter, and I was getting reeeeaaaally frustrated. I worked on my diet about halfway through stage 1 - counting calories, cutting back a little bit more - but I didn't see any serious difference until I got to the second-to-last week of the stage. Then, all of a sudden, I see muscles, I see a lifted butt, and - at last! - a shrinking waist.
    I was never and still am not at a major calorie deficit. I eat about 1500 on non-workout days, and around 1800 on workout days, and those numbers are by no means set in stone. In general, though, I'm eating a bit less than I was at the beginning of the first stage. That, plus a probable bloating issue caused by suddenly making my muscles actually do their job finally subsiding, is what I think caused my waist to start shrinking instead of expanding.
    I'm on my rest week now, and really enjoying the strength gains I made and the way my body is changing. Hang in there! I faced a lot of frustration with that initial weight gain, but I chose to take it out on the squat rack instead of quitting, and I'm so glad I did. You're seeing serious improvement now, too, and no doubt that will continue.
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So so so excited I found this thread... I weighed myself yesterday morning and just wanted to cry. I was up about 6 lbs from where I was at the start. I just started week 5 and I love the improvements I'm seeing in my strength and the confidence I now have when I walk into the weight room. Looking forward to completing this stage and seeing some improvements overall!!!
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    When I started seriously lifting weights in Jan/Feb I weighed 125, I currently weigh 135. I maintained during stage 1. I'm down a few inches and my clothes fit fine. I'd prefer to be 127 but oh well... I'm not. Who cares if the BMI scale says 135 is "overweight" for me. I bet my BF% says otherwise. I see physical changes in my body and I like that better than what the scale says.
  • stef_monster
    Options
    I've kind of given up on the scale. I get weighed every 3 months at the doctor whether I like it or not, and I've been weighing myself every 3-4 weeks when I'm feeling brave at the end of a stage. My weight is all over the place. It fluctuates wildly through the 130s. I don't know anymore. I eat at a deficit, do more cardio than I probably should, and do the workouts religiously.

My thighs and butt are bigger, but in a good way. My butt's always gotten flat and deflated-looking when I lost weight, and I'm ecstatic that the back of my pants isn't sagging anymore. I haven't measured my waist in a while (that's my genetic trouble spot- I just have no 'curve' shape whatsoever in my waist), but I continue to see improved definition there. My arms are quite a bit bigger, but defined. I'm not sure if it's diet, increased body fat, increased muscle, or what, but I like the fact that I can't see every vein in my abdomen and arms poking up through the skin now. Before I started lifting, it was getting a little weird for me. I still have very visible veins in my arms, just not to the extent I used to.

I'm starting on Stage 4 Thursday 10/3, and will probably end up doing my weigh in and progress pics on Wednesday. I'm slowly learning to let go of the scale. I wish I could be back at 130 or 132- I worked my @ss off to get there (literally), and now it seems like I never see the low side of the 130s at all. Oh well! I feel happy and strong and accomplished on this program, so I'm determined to see it to the end.