Low Carb, Weight Loss and Heavy Lifting

Options
So, here I am about to stop the fitness routines and start heavy lifting, either Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting. I have come to the conclusion that I never got fat in the Army is that I was always working very heavy and constantly building muscle. Being on a tank crew will do that to you.

But I still have some weight to lose AND I fully intend to stay low carb for life. So, I am hoping some of you folks have the combo I have. Want to continue to eat Primal and LCHF, still need to lose some weight and are lifting heavy.

Love to hear your input if you are LC and lifting heavy. Love to hear your input on lifting programs, especially SL5x5 and NROL, as well.

Replies

• Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating low carb, and I started Stronglifts about a month ago. I don't have any advice to offer, but I've been wanting to ask the same questions. I've done some research online, but I don't want anyone telling me I don't eat enough carbs to lift so I think I only read what I want to. :tongue:
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Well, now I'm curious. Are you eating at a calorie deficit? Are you maintaining LCHF diet? If so, what's your net carbs, protein and fat look like? Are you losing weight? Inquiring minds wanna know!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at a deficit, and for the most part I'm eating LCHF. I have had a few cheat days over the last 2 weeks, so I'm not losing as rapidly as I probably should be. I'm strictly LCHF now, so I'll have a weight loss update next week! :smile: I am aiming for 20 net carbs. MFP is set to 5% carbs, 60% fat and 35% protein. I've only recently figured out how to custom set my goals, but I already feel like it is helpful.
    As for the weight lifting - I started heavy lifting in May doing my own thing. I did a lot of research and talked with a crossfit coach friend. I REALLY enjoy lifting, but I wanted a more structured program. I started stronglifts a couple weeks ago. Since mid-June I've lost 12 inches, so the lifting is definitely working! I've noticed the changes in my body much more than changes on the scale. My clothes are fitting better, so I'm sold on lifting!
    I feel like my body runs the best on low carb, so I'm determined to make it work, even though the consensus online seems to be you need carbs to lift. I have a low carb whey protein shake that I occasionally use before lifting. I just pay attention to my body. If I feel good I lift and eat like normal. If I feel I need more food, I will have a shake or hardboiled egg before my workout.
    So, basically it's like I said before... I don't think I have anything to offer! So far this is working for me, but I've had a few too many alcoholic beverages to feel like I'm truly giving it my all! :drinker: I am being very strict with my diet and exercise now, so I will follow up with you. Also, I do stronglifts 3x/wk and cardio at least 4x/wk, so I'm using a combination of diet, cardio and weights right now. Hopefully someone who has been at this a little longer than me will have some input!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am currently lifting heavy and (finally) seeing a weight loss. I am currently eating about 50% Protien, 30% Fat and 20% Carbs at around 2000 Calories per day, which is at a deficit. I am (finally) seeing a weight loss. So far, I am keeping my strength and it is increasing, and I am losing inches (2 off my waist, 2 off my chest, and .5 on my Neck and thighs) as well as 7 lbs in 4 weeks.

I originally lost my weight doing TSFL which is Low Carb, and when I went on to maintenance, I started gaining. I could not figure it out, and I finally broke down and went to a Trainer who is a Competative BodyBuilder, and we discoverred it is a Carb Insensitivity. Seems the most I can eat is around 100-120 before it starts impacting my body.
  • scubar17
    scubar17 Posts: 43
    Options
    My diet's been a gradual progression from just cutting out eggs and dairy (out of necessity) to LC Primal/Paleo and the whole time I've been lifting heavy weights. I just started BeachBody's Chalean Extreme (kinda like P90X) this week in which I'm lifting even heavier. Despite keeping my carbs very low, I've been able to get through her tough workouts (she wants you to lift heavy enough that you "fail" between rep 10-12) in a fasted state first thing in the morning. I believe my macros are set at 60f/25p/15c.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Awesome input, really helpful. I have never in my life lifted heavy in terms of weight lifting. Although I spent 10 years as a tank crewman in the Army. And everything we did there was heavy. I suspect, now, that all the picking up and putting down of heavy things that I did is what really contributed to staying lean and fit when I was in the Army, not the morning runs. So, I'm going to try and have a physical routine much more like I had in the Army. 3 days a week of picking up/putting down heavy stuff, 2x a week of heavy cardio and every day make sure I walk a lot.

I'm going to change my routines on Monday. Be prepared! I am going to a 3x weekly heavy lifting, strength training program and taking cardio down to 2x weekly. I suspect I will need to increase my calories from ~1850/day to ~2000/day. I plan to do that, currently, by adding a protein shake before I lift. Once I cut another 10 lbs (Which is GW + 5 lbs), then I am going to increase my food to above TDEE and add some muscle.

Thoughts about this? Input? Currently planning NROL for the lifting program, but could be swayed to Stronglifts if anyone has good input.
  • MissyAZjourney
    MissyAZjourney Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Grab yourself a copy of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Dr's. Volek and Phinney. It specifically written for Athletic Performance on a LCHF diet
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Awesome input, really helpful. I have never in my life lifted heavy in terms of weight lifting. Although I spent 10 years as a tank crewman in the Army. And everything we did there was heavy. I suspect, now, that all the picking up and putting down of heavy things that I did is what really contributed to staying lean and fit when I was in the Army, not the morning runs. So, I'm going to try and have a physical routine much more like I had in the Army. 3 days a week of picking up/putting down heavy stuff, 2x a week of heavy cardio and every day make sure I walk a lot.

I'm going to change my routines on Monday. Be prepared! I am going to a 3x weekly heavy lifting, strength training program and taking cardio down to 2x weekly. I suspect I will need to increase my calories from ~1850/day to ~2000/day. I plan to do that, currently, by adding a protein shake before I lift. Once I cut another 10 lbs (Which is GW + 5 lbs), then I am going to increase my food to above TDEE and add some muscle.

Thoughts about this? Input? Currently planning NROL for the lifting program, but could be swayed to Stronglifts if anyone has good input.

6 years older, same height, started at 191lb (21% measured bodyfat) and i m now below your 175lb target where you want to start your bulk (13% bodyfat)

I intend to go on down below 10% over the next month or two after this short break of maintenance and due to minimal muscle loss am not wanting to put more muscle on and sacrifice speed and agility for bulk. I kind of prefer the stealth mode of looking normal/average in clothes bar the ever shrinking waist everyone has noticed and feel it suits my age and frame size !

( for 3 weeks i have not logged and have just mentaly judged my cals and macros as its been too hot to mess about in the kitchen and have been eating what i fancy - no weight change and i have eaten carbs )

I dont do cardio, just lift heavy on a 3 day split with minimal rest between sets and the only time i tried the running belt i couldnt get my heartbeat above 132 but then discovered it was only 47 at rest down from 59 before i started at the gym and i ve never looked further into why it wont go higher.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Grab yourself a copy of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Dr's. Volek and Phinney. It specifically written for Athletic Performance on a LCHF diet
    Thanks! That's now my next book on my reading list now that I have finished The New Rules of Lifting.