Mantras and Psychobabble

Options
I'm definitely a "mantra" person. While running I'm usually getting my psychobabble on, sometimes it's stuff that I would rather not think about like general negative bull *kitten* in my life, some runs this helps me because I get a release, without that release it usually hinders. Most of the time it's really positive and helps me on a cognitive behavioural level later in the other areas of my life. I was curious what mantras or thoughts seem to reoccur most during other peoples runs. (I know some of this stuff can get kinda deep or geeky....)

My most common mantras I use are:

"Stay light, stay loose, stay relaxed"
"I'mma make this hill my bish!" with "Dig dig dig" on hill days. LOL.
"I am a well fed machine"
"This pain is nothing"

I don't run with music anymore either, which surprisingly has helped me so much with my focus, but sometimes I will hear songs in my head, today it was Bob Marley remixed "Sun is Shining" and as sad as it is to admit "Rhythm is a dancer" LOLOL. :D

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mantra type per se but (at the risk of sounding like a Birkenstock wearing, granola munching, new age flake) there is a lot of power in positive self-talk/positive imaging both in running and in real life. Much of the fatigue in a long run is between your ears........
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I, too use mantras a lot & agree mantras can be helpful in shifting your (left) brain away from the pain/struggle/fatigue running can cause and to reach the right-brain-controlled creatively idyllic "running groove". One of my favorites (semi-inspired by Jeff Galloway's marathon book) is "loose as a goose, not tight as a drum" (repeat many times and visualizing the "loose" goose vs. the overtight drum) and even "you got this!" or "you got it!" when I feel my strength, form, or pace sagging. I use some of the mantras in Galloway's Marathon book but modify them as needed. Honestly, I have so many of them, I'm not sure what the sources are on some of them anymore. I also like "Saddle up" or "Giddyup!" (ala Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld) right before my runs and "Flyyyyy!" or "Gooooooooo!"or "Punch it!/push it!" during speed intervals/fartlek. Also, when someone passes me running I'm sometimes thinking "Noooooo! I'll catch you!"
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Am I going to out myself as a big nerd? I tend to do out and back training runs and for me, mentally, it's all about making it to the turn around point. On my way out, I'm constantly doing math, counting down, in fractions and percentages how far I am to the turn around point. Things like "20% done, I only have to do that 4 more times." I don't even bother counting the return miles in my mental arithmetic hurdles because, I swear, once I turn around, I go on cruise control, enjoy my music and cruise home. Mentally those miles fly by, even if I'm not running negative splits and they actually take longer in reality.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I used to sing to myself when I ran . . . does that count? I figured it kinda helped with my breathing.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I tend to do different routes to keep my mind busy; I try to turn my body into a vehicle my head is riding around in taking in the scenery and thinking through stuff. I have missed turns on more than one occasion. I got up early one morning when I was in Chicago on business recently and ran my personal best 10k along the lakefront, looking at buildings and boats and birds and just enjoying the new and different place. Anyway, this is sort of at the other end of things. Instead of concentrating on where I am, how far to go, thinking positive things about my running or other things related to the run, I largely shut it out.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How about "Float like a Butterfly-Run like a Kenyan"?
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I hear music and it depends on how fast I am running as to what my brain selects. Most of the times though I like to fight with my "inner voice". It tells me something then I say "Why"...then I try and reason it out. There is probably some medication to turn this off but why? lol
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My 2 main themes are "Relax, you're fine" and "You got this" I even have You Got This printed on my road ID bracelet. I'm simple and to the point. And when I'm swimming it's "Just Keep Swimming...":laugh:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a "mantra" person. While running I'm usually getting my psychobabble on, sometimes it's stuff that I would rather not think about like general negative bull *kitten* in my life, some runs this helps me because I get a release, without that release it usually hinders. Most of the time it's really positive and helps me on a cognitive behavioural level later in the other areas of my life. I was curious what mantras or thoughts seem to reoccur most during other peoples runs. (I know some of this stuff can get kinda deep or geeky....)

My most common mantras I use are:

"Stay light, stay loose, stay relaxed"
    "I'mma make this hill my bish!" with "Dig dig dig" on hill days. LOL.
    "I am a well fed machine"
    "This pain is nothing"

I don't run with music anymore either, which surprisingly has helped me so much with my focus, but sometimes I will hear songs in my head, today it was Bob Marley remixed "Sun is Shining" and as sad as it is to admit "Rhythm is a dancer" LOLOL. :D

Running is still "systems checking" for me - posture, foot flexion, breathing, pace, HR, foot strike, that sort of thing so, even on a LSD run, I'm occupied.

At times, I've used running to memorize "things" - a few weeks back I wanted to memorize my HR rates at various MHR percentages so I started repeating "34; 52; 72" which, when you add 100, are the values that correspond to 70, 80, and 90 % HR max.

In prep for my Half on Aug 19, I'll be tucking away my pace for the race - 15; 9; 45; 15; 9 which are the seconds values for the first few miles - 9:15, 9:09; 8:45; 8:15; and then 9:09 until mile 12 when something magical will happen to get me up the hill to Balboa Park (aka "Mt San Diego") so I can break 2 hours! :-)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I more of a yell at myself (in my head) kind of guy:

"come on Jonboy, don't be a little b!tch!"
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not so much mantras... but I do hear my old high school coaches in my head - usually when coming up to a hill I can hear them say
    "Drive with the knees"
    "Pump with your arms"
    "Keep your eyes on the target"
    "Breath"
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I, too use mantras a lot & agree mantras can be helpful in shifting your (left) brain away from the pain/struggle/fatigue running can cause and to reach the right-brain-controlled creatively idyllic "running groove". One of my favorites (semi-inspired by Jeff Galloway's marathon book) is "loose as a goose, not tight as a drum" (repeat many times and visualizing the "loose" goose vs. the overtight drum) and even "you got this!" or "you got it!" when I feel my strength, form, or pace sagging. I use some of the mantras in Galloway's Marathon book but modify them as needed. Honestly, I have so many of them, I'm not sure what the sources are on some of them anymore. I also like "Saddle up" or "Giddyup!" (ala Cosmo Kramer from Seinfeld) right before my runs and "Flyyyyy!" or "Gooooooooo!"or "Punch it!/push it!" during speed intervals/fartlek. Also, when someone passes me running I'm sometimes thinking "Noooooo! I'll catch you!"

Hahahah, so much win! This made me sole. :)
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    I more of a yell at myself (in my head) kind of guy:

"come on Jonboy, don't be a little b!tch!"

:D
  • WebbyShoo
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome replies guys, it's great to have people to talk to about the mental games involved in running.
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Am I going to out myself as a big nerd? I tend to do out and back training runs and for me, mentally, it's all about making it to the turn around point. On my way out, I'm constantly doing math, counting down, in fractions and percentages how far I am to the turn around point. Things like "20% done, I only have to do that 4 more times." I don't even bother counting the return miles in my mental arithmetic hurdles because, I swear, once I turn around, I go on cruise control, enjoy my music and cruise home. Mentally those miles fly by, even if I'm not running negative splits and they actually take longer in reality.

I do this too!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    The only mantra i've ever needed was when i got to about mile 18 of a marathon and i thought my quads were going to explode. I just kept saying "Just keep going."
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My 2 main themes are "Relax, you're fine" and "You got this" I even have You Got This printed on my road ID bracelet. I'm simple and to the point. And when I'm swimming it's "Just Keep Swimming...":laugh:

Ok, my RoadID has "No Known Drug Allergies" - quite boring compared to your ID!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    When my form gets sloppy, I usually start repeating "elbows and heels" to help focus on turnover. I also play around with breathing patterns (from here: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-air-breathing-technique), which coordinate steps with breathing. One of the harder patterns for me is breath in 2, out 1. It's meant for hard efforts and I was finally able to do it for a short time this week at the track. One last techniques is to allow my attention to sink down to my center, near my lower belly. This helps calm me down when I am getting whiny and feel like slowing down. But, I would say most of the time I am just spaced out, thinking about whatever pops into my mind!

My goal with these techniques is not to do them for a whole run, but to use them as a reset when things start to fall apart. It's worked well so far.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I often hear/say the following to myself:

"Get out of your head"
    "Slow it up/Push it hard" (Long run vs. tempo days)
    "Stand up straight, lead with your feet not your crown". (Form reminders)

"Breathe".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that uses the "b" word in reference to hills.