We Work Out

What do you guys to do work on your fitness?

I like a variety- I used to be really into running, but realized this spring that my body is much happier/my energy levels much higer when I'm doing yoga and strength training.

What does a typical exercise week look like for you?

Have you heard of the terms 'Chronic Cardio' and 'Chronic Strength Training?' <<Hoping this one isn't too divisive of an issue and that I'm not stepping on toes.

Do you incorporate play into your exercise times? I totally count playing with my rambunctious Siberian Husky as a short workout.. tug-of-war with that beast is WORK! Haha!

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    I do a variety of things mostly at the gym. Although did a Mama Bootcamp outdoors today. I do try and be more active with play, but I just consider it a bonus and log any of it.
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Running has been my thing for the past year. And by "my thing" I mean the thing I started to do because I really wanted to make friends in the new area I moved to. At least at first I didn't hate it as much as I always thought I would. I saw steady improvement and was more physically fit than I ever had been. But as each race I've signed up for has approached, I've noticed my attitude about running turning more negative. Running became a chore and not something I was passionate about anymore. I even skipped out on my last 5k bc I REALLY didn't want to do it.

In the past few weeks I've really started training Primally, and I absolutely love it. I feel more accomplished, and like I am DOing something as opposed to just pounding the pavement endlessly.

I have a huge Super Spartan Race (8-10mi, 20+ obstacles) coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm kicking myself for every thinking it was a good idea. I have one more huge race (MD/DC Ragnar Relay) in October that just strictly running. After that race I think I'm gonna call it quits for a while and just stick to being physically active and working out the ways I enjoy.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I walk about 100 miles per month, throw in some sprints from time to time, and lift weights 5 - 6 days per week.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I like to mix it up, for the last couple of months I've been doing a combo of Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels and strength training. Monday I'm starting FocusT25.
  • I switch it up a lot. I had a personal trainer a couple of months ago and I'm using the plan she laid out for me. Some days I start off with 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical or bike) followed by one hour of strength training: one day will be biceps, triceps and core another day is legs, another day is chest/back/shoulders. OR I'll end my hour of strength training with cardio.

If I'm not in the mood for cardio, then I'll do an hour of strength training and 10 minutes of stretching - I'm recovering from a herniated disc, I have significant arthritis in my knees AND I'm in physical therapy for rotator cuff tendinitis.

Once a week I will do one hour of cardio which will consist of a dance class: either Zumba Fitness or a hip hop dance class at my gym. I am actually a Zumba Fitness instructor so on days I can't make it to the class at the gym, I do my own routines at home.

I need to incorporate yoga into my schedule.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    After that race I think I'm gonna call it quits for a while and just stick to being physically active and working out the ways I enjoy.

Wow, I feel ya, I had a half marathon at the beginning of June that I ran as slow as I wanted, was totally ready for a nice looooong break from running long distances. I started C25K in the fall of 2011, ran a half the next spring, a full in fall 2012, then that half in June, talk about chronic cardio, right?? Did not lose a single pound that entire time, just ate when I was hungry and didn't bother to count calories (or watch my carb intake.) Was originally registered for another full in June but I was smart and switched to the half.

Liking the yoga and strength training now.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    I've never done exercise (never played sports as a kid etc etc), and while I was losing weight I didn't do anything either. However, after I started transitioning to maintenance this spring I started walking and fell in love with it :) I walk around 10 miles a week now at a brisk pace (15 minute miles). I've also started running, training for my first 5K, which is a fundraiser at my kid's school in October. I'm up to 1.5 miles without having to walk-halfway there lol. And then this spring I did Mark Lauren's strength training program for women, in his book Body By You and LOVED it! I finished it and took July off, but I just got his other book, You Are Your Own Gym, from the library and I'll be starting that up on Monday. I love that his programs are only 30 minutes a time/3 days a week and you don't need any extra equipment.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    You know, I have always loved running....but now it is hurting me! ( tight soleus, achilles, plantar fascia) I just ordered some new shoes which didn't fit right, back to square one! Di the whole stride analysis. Looking for the magic shoe that makes me fly! lol I also love to walk....try to do a family walk several times a week with the kids, hubby, finneus the dog!

I like to be outside...love to ride my bike. I do classes @ the Y with a HIIT flavor to them....or zumba, or use a step class or some cardio class as a wrm up to avoid the dreadmill.

I used to be a personal trainer, taught kickboxing and was a dance major in college before switching to sports med. I am currently putting together a list of HIIT exercises to start a class for my church's small groups, they're called "connect groups".

I also strength train 3-5 days/week. I will probably trend more toward lifting in the winter. I posted on my profile that I just recently bought a scale. (((((((((buyers remorse))))))))) <now I use it, and I hate feeling the number, if youknow what I mean! Soemone on my friends list pointed out that the numbers are supposed to climb when you lift weights=lean muscle gain. But in my mind the number should still go down because I have FAT to lose! Ah well! I am liking how I look more each week--so that is something!
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    i love hearing about everyone's routines!

right now, i do strength training followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week. i supplement those three workouts with barre classes at my gym and walk around the city every day.

i went to yoga pretty frequently when i first moved to chicago, and am thinking about getting back into it for stress relief, if nothing else!
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Right now I'm doing Ripped in 30 five days a week (thinking it's gonna take a good bit more than 30 days)... I also walk the dog semi-daily about 1/2 mile (he's still a puppy), I do a mile to 2 miles on the treadmill 2 days a week, and I lift 2 nights a week (right now just squats, pull ups/chin ups, dips, bench press, and deadlifts. The lifting may change though b/c I just got a bench, barbell, dumbbells, and weights for home.

So, Mon and Wed = lifting after 1 or so miles on the treadmill. Then Tues, Thurs, Fri, Sun, Mon = RI30, then walk the dog every other day or so.

This is just the beginning for me though.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    I have always been in sports and active through out highschool and college but after, I feel off the wagon. I would workout sporatically but I recently found a CrossFit box by my house and I feel in love at first WOD. I feel like an athlete again; you get the support of a team environment and the "competition" feeling.

Currently I CrossFit about 5x/week and I supplement my cardio with long walks with my pooch or going on runs.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    I have always been in sports and active through out highschool and college but after, I feel off the wagon. I would workout sporatically but I recently found a CrossFit box by my house and I feel in love at first WOD. I feel like an athlete again; you get the support of a team environment and the "competition" feeling.

Currently I CrossFit about 5x/week and I supplement my cardio with long walks with my pooch or going on runs.

My fiance has had some interest recently in CF. He went to a few different places, but they wouldn't really give him price points.. how much a month do you usually spend on the membership? Thanks in advance!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    My box charges $125/month or $200/month for a couple; unlimited usage so I usually go about 5 times per week to get my money's worth. It is expensive but I love it!
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Powerlift training 4 times a week by following Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 plus 1 day where I do some of the olympic lifts (lighter weight) and prehab/bodyweight stuff. I do hill sprints a couple times a week, try to run a couple miles too here and there... I like being able to run a couple miles, but it is definitely not my favorite thing to do.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    I am trying to back off of my cardio---
    Hello, my name is Connie, and I am addicted to the BIG BURN!!! ; ) I love a good burn. Love. it. Not all the time, but when I do a R.I.P.P.E.D. class, or even zumba you better step away from the sweat zone because I will be in it. But.....now I am really liking the the weighlifting....liking the results alot. Seeing a lot. And I find my body feels like it's trying to stall at this weight again. So I am upping the weights to see what happens. I still do a 5 X 5 , but have added in more because I just like to go for DOMS on some days!