Coach My Squat

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
Hey guys, so here's the latest improvement in my squat. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, and getting lower... and just in time too, because the weight is starting to get heavy... fml

http://youtu.be/rXs--CbdpkE

This was my final squat set for the day, 3+ AMRAP. Managed 8 without assistance.

By the way, I know some might want to critique that guy's spotting technique. I had asked him to back off and jump in if he saw me coming back down, and he was a random person at the gym that I asked for a spot. Just too distracting when someone holds their hand out in front of me the whole time.

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Overall, I think it's fine.

Probably just an inch above what is legal for a powerlift squat but hell, I probably do that too.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Yeah I don't know if anyone can help me figure why, but at the first rep, somehting in my form was off and my back pulled a little. Wasn't enough to get me to stop, and the pain didn't continue I just focused more.

I know it's particular, but can anyone spot something in the video that could have triggered this on the first rep?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the pain but on your first rep, you go down and then you back on your heels. Not a bad thing as long as you keep your balance.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If possible, take another video that starts when you're setting up the bar to backing up and possibly a shot from behind. The squat really starts with the setup. It's hard to tell from that angle but you definitely need to get down another inch or two.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When you walk out of the rack, make sure your hips and upper body are completely straight, you have some forward lean which might bowl you over on heavier weights. When i walk out, i always try to do a little hip thrust like im locking out my dead to make sure im completely straight. tied in to this, keep your chest tight, imagine you're trying to show a girl across the gym how big your chesticles are.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Switched to box squats to get the form down.