how fast do you run?

Options

Replies

• Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in April and graduated in June running an 18 minute mile and right now I am running an easy 15 minute mile. I hope that as I go along my time will be better.

I started in May and will graduate next week. I'm also running an 18 minute mile. Good to know that if I keep it up it will get better :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It varies from 14-15 minute mile. Sometimes I have to log it as a brisk walk instead of jogging :P

Me too! When MFP logged it as brisk walk I was going "Hey, that was my jog!" lol :laugh:

I have occasionally put it in my exercise notes that I was running, not walking, just to make myself feel better...

Me too.
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My first 5k race after finishing the program was 12.45min/mile. My second 5k about three months later was 11:30 min/mile. My latest regular training runs (I'm using MapMyRun to get my distances and times) are around 11 min/mile.

I'm repeating the C25K program, but trying to increase my speed on the running intervals. I'm in week 3 right now and it's tough, but it seems to be working :wink:
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite mastered how to get my minutes per mile but I run anywhere between 4.5 and 5 mph... I think I'm around 13 miles per minute and it sure feels slow. But in my defense, I've got short legs! I'm only 5'3" :blushing:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite mastered how to get my minutes per mile but I run anywhere between 4.5 and 5 mph... I think I'm around 13 miles per minute and it sure feels slow. But in my defense, I've got short legs! I'm only 5'3" :blushing:

I hear you. I'm 5'1" on a good day :)
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 1 Day 2 last night, so I'm still super new, but my 'run' is at a 3.4 on the treadmill. XD Bumped it up to 3.5 for one of the intervals last night and nearly fell off the back of it. It's definitely more of a shuffle at this point, but I'm okay with it. I keep telling myself to go as slow as I need to as long as I just actually finish!
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've run consistently at 7.5 kmph during the training, and always accelerating up to 9kmph in the last 2-3 minutes in week 6-8.
    I then adapted to 7 kmph in week 9 and my 'graduation' 5k run.

This should be 4.6 and 4.3 mph respectively, therefore a pace of about 13-14 minutes per mile.

Gosh, hearing how everyone here feel this is slow, and I thought I was fairly okay with my pace!! :noway:

I felt like a champ for 9 weeks, LOL
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm somewhere between an 11:30 and 12:30 minute mile. I hope to be able to be somewhere in the range of 10 minute miles at some point, as I have run that pace before and been comfortable.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That does it. I'm switching to metric units. LOL

I'm running about an 18-min mile, but I've only been good and consistent with my running since about April. It is very encouraging to hear from you ladies who once ran at that pace, but have gotten faster with time.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm on W3D3 and when it tells me to "walk" I go between 3.0 and 3.3 mph; when it tells me "run" (although *cough* the program told me it's a jog! Make up your mind, robotic woman!) I bump up to 5.0 mph. Dreadmill running.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 1 Day 2 last night, so I'm still super new, but my 'run' is at a 3.4 on the treadmill. XD Bumped it up to 3.5 for one of the intervals last night and nearly fell off the back of it. It's definitely more of a shuffle at this point, but I'm okay with it. I keep telling myself to go as slow as I need to as long as I just actually finish!

Week 1 I started with 3.0 walk and 4.0 run and as you keep going, your body will adapt and you can keep bumping it up :) I am contemplating bumping mine back down with the longer upcoming runs in week 4/5 but I'm going to leave it at 5 and see what I can do! Keep it up! We can both get through this :D Slow & steady wins the race, right? ;)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm on W3D3 and when it tells me to "walk" I go between 3.0 and 3.3 mph; when it tells me "run" (although *cough* the program told me it's a jog! Make up your mind, robotic woman!) I bump up to 5.0 mph. Dreadmill running.

Technically there's no such thing as a jog. 5.0 is pretty fast. If you "can't make it" through any days, slow it WAY down.
  • katiefromvermont
    katiefromvermont Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just finished W3D3 and I run at 4.5 with a 2% incline. My walking breaks are at 3.5 or 4.0, depending on how tired I feel. I figure if I can get through this program once at at my pace, I can work on speed afterwards.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I graduated C25K last week and I have my first "official" 5K tomorrow morning. I have been running 5K workouts the past two weeks and have been between 9:20 - 9:30 per mile. My goal for tomorrow is to finish in the neighborhood of my best run so far of 28:55.

By the way, I am a 46 year old with serious foot problems that didn't do a whole lot of running before I started C25K. I have been officiating high school sports for a few years but that only involves short bursts of running and nothing sustained like this.
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im on week 8 and ny runs have been about an 11.30min/mile :)
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on the distance. When I'm just running 2-3 miles I can usually do 9:30 per mile but once I get past 3 miles and up to 4-6 it's 10 minute miles for me.

I'm currently doing the 5K-to-10K program and yesterday was a 45 minutes steady run (5 min warm up, 5 min cool down of course) and I started at a 9:40 pace and has to ease off the 15 minutes cause I was about ready to die lol. I clocked 5.31 miles all together.
  • sue284
    sue284 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm up to Week 7 Day 2 and today my pace was 9.11 minutes per mile or 5.43 per kilometre (according to Nike+) :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm doing about 4 miles at a time now about 13 min/mile. I'd like to get my 5k pace down to 10 min/mile before I run a half just because I'd like my half pace to be around 11-12 min/mile.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Did the second week of my 5 to 10k program today. To be able to do the time and distance I needed to slow down. So I averaged 17 minutes per mile exactly. This is the slowest I've ever run since I got into week 6 of C25K, but I think I needed to do it to handle the new hill on my route and the longer time. I so envy those of you who are going so much faster, but give me time, I'll do faster someday. :)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    btsinmd, you have the right attitude. Persistence is what this takes. Don't worry about the speed. You are doing great! And as you know from doing C25K, your speed will come back. It's running for the whole interval that matters. Also, I noticed a dramatic difference when I switched from flat runs on the track to hilly roads. It was hard. However, that same hill that seems to be slowing you down, is actually working on you and will eventually make you even faster!