Calorie goals

Options
Leeann1979
Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
Hey fellow thyroid sufferers.

I am having a heck of a time losing any weight. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Hashimoto`s. I have goiters on my thyoid, that's how my doctor discovered my problem. Anyway, she told me a few months back that my levels are "ok". I was able to lose about 20 pounds last year by eating fairly low calories, and as usual, gained it back, even though I play intense tennis several times a week.

I have been faithfully logging since last September. I have taken a few breaks here and there, nothing major. I am still playing a lot of tennis, but I cannot lose a pound for the life of me. I am trying to net around 1,700 calories. I had my dose increased a few months ago from 100mcg of Eltroxin, to 125mcg of Synthroid. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I have gained almost 10 pounds since, and have a constant bloated, fat feeling in my middle.

I am just wondering, how many calories in a day do you eat? And how tall are you? Age? etc. I am 5'9", 34 years. I refuse to eat very little calories because I am too active to not eat, plus I love food way too much to starve myself. I have lost weight so many times in my adult life by eating very little calories, but I always gained it back, so I will not do it that way again.

Thanks for any replies.

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I don't log my calories anymore, so I can't really help with that aspect. However, do you avoid certain foods, like soy and gluten? You are probably already aware, but just in case...soy can affect the absorbtion of your thyroid meds and for some people, it causes that bloated feeling. I don't have hashimoto's, but in several of the forums, sufferers have mentioned that they have had to go gluten free and it has helped.
    If you don't get the calorie info you need here, try looking up one of the TDEE calculators. It will give you a good estimate of what you should be consuming.
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    I just posted in a different topic, but I don't count calories either. It is far too obsessive for me. I instead focus on no processed foods, no soy, and being mindful of carb and sugar intake and when (I try not to eat much or any past 6pm). Alcohol is probably my biggest issue as I love beer ^_^
    when I do 'cheat' I take a picture on my phone and date it, that way I can't talk myself into eating something I can't cause hey, I just had a sundae split two nights ago.

I second the gluten free. A friend of mine is just hashi (not hypo) and she controls it purely through diet (no gluten or soy)
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've had mild hypothyroidism for 10 years. I've been taking 50 mcg of Synthroid for that entire decade and they have never changed my dosage because my blood tests always come back in the okay range.

I'm 5'8" and 33 years old. I eat anywhere from 1200-2000 cals per day, depending on my activity level, but average days are around 1400... but that's because i'm still trying to lose a few more lbs. Maintenance calories would be a bit higher. I don't burn much if i'm sedentary. I have a fitbit, which helps me stay honest about my activity levels.

*edit - i've also been gluten free for a few months now and it really helps!