Help me pick a half marathon plan.

Options
I've got a half marathon coming up in 8 weeks and i havent committed to a formal plan just yet. I was injured last year and so have been doing some on/off running, but i committed to Hal Higdons 15k plan and im about to finish it this week with a 10 mile run on saturday.

Now my question really is, what would you do in my shoes? The way i see it, i can either

A) commit to a half marathon plan and just run it right from the start (Or a couple of weeks in so it fits my marathon date)

B) I could from now on try a double peak style plan like at the end of a marathon plan where i run my long runs as 11 miles, 12 miles, 13 miles, 11 miles, 12 miles, 13 miles then a two week taper.

Which seems a better idea? Im not running for a PB or anything, i just want to run a race and get closer to full fitness

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hey Foxy McFoxy

I like the idea of the double thing. I'd keep ramping through with the half training. That way if you get injured or sick, you've still got some back up time and you'll have completed training.

or....... i'd go past the peak training run and go 11 miles, 12 miles, 13 miles, 14 miles, 14 miles, 12 miles then 2 week taper. not too stressful, but should make the half seem easy by comparison. And there's still the time in this plan to take a sick day if it's needed.
  • smikulicz
    smikulicz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should train at least a little above 13. My first half training schedule only went to 10, and the last couple miles of that race sucked! Since then, the halfs I've done have been while I'm training for a full and it's amazing how strong you feel running 13.1 when your recent training runs have all been longer than that :-)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, yeah, i could ramp up to 16 or so miles, maybe i'll look to run a moderate full programme until the race....
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like plan B, with maybe an 11, 13, 15. Then 10,13, 15. Then your taper.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, yeah, i could ramp up to 16 or so miles, maybe i'll look to run a moderate full programme until the race....

This is what you should do. I peak at 16 for my LSD during HM training cycle.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

This is what you should do. I peak at 16 for my LSD during HM training cycle.

I agree a long run of 15-16 is MUCH better than 12 or 13.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of running Hal Higdons marathon advanced 1. Im thinking i might run week 2, then weeks 4-8 with a two week taper. Sound good? Do i need a 10 mile step back on week 6? Is 17 a bridge to far? http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51141/Marathon-Advanced-1-Training-Program
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was going to say pick up the Hidgon Advanced Half Marathon plan 8 weeks out, but after looking at it I'm not so sure. Apparently you don't need a taper for Half Marathon?
    http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/halfmarathon/halfadv.pdf