Today I'm thankful for...paleo style!

Options
craudi
craudi Posts: 126 Member
Today I'm super thankful for yellow MUSTARD! I've been trying to get myself back on track, get past cravings again, etc...and I just have to say how thankful I am for mustard. Haha. I've been craving some ketchup on all the grilled brats I've been eating lately....but I've held back.

Just had to say it somewhere. :)

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You should try making your own ketchup. I'm sure there's a paleo-friendly recipe out there!
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've seen a primal ketchup recipe but it uses honey. Still better than high fructose corn syrup and only about 1carb per serving. If you don't mind sucralose Heinz makes a low sugar ketchup.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I use grainy mustard in place of some of the bar b que and steak sauce recipes. I have not tried the primal recipes yet.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Red wine......

:drinker:
  • craudi
    craudi Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Today, sausage and fried eggs. Seriously. Best breakfast ever. And this is one of few groups on MFP where I won't get my face ripped off for saying so. :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Today, sausage and fried eggs. Seriously. Best breakfast ever. And this is one of few groups on MFP where I won't get my face ripped off for saying so. :)

YES!!

And I can't believe no one has said BACON yet. O.o
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Summer, sunshine, & grilled avocados!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i'm thankful for how paleo makes me feel comfortable eating food that is realllllllllllllyyy yummy :)
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    While eating Paleo/Primal is healthier than eating over processed junk food, there is no real scientific evidence that our caveman ancestors ate Paleo. Cave people from different parts of he world most certainly ate different foods, and unless someone has a food allergy or sensitivity, there's no good reason that many healthy and nutritious foods the Paleo diet forbids should not be in our diet.

This is a good article from the Scientific American on the topic:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-paleo-diet-half-baked-how-hunter-gatherer-really-eat
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Butter. Specifically Kerrygold DELICIOUSNESS. Also grass-fed beef, which has taught me that beef can be yummy.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    http://cookingcaveman.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

KETCHUP
    1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
    6 oz strained tomatoes, adjust for desired thickness (I like my ketchup thick, like Heinz)
    1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice (replacing the vinegar found in most ketchups)
    1/2 teaspoon of honey (replacing the sugar found in most ketchups)
    Garlic powder to taste
    Onion powder to taste
    Black Pepper to taste
    A TOUCH of ground cloves (can be overpowering, I literally just put a tap of it in)
    Ground Allspice to taste (a combo of nutmeg and cinnamon works just as well or better if you don't have any allspice around)

18th Century Mushroom Ketchup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u_FejNuks

It like Worchestershire sauce.
    Dry out the leftovers from the squeezing, and use the powdered mushrooms as a seasoning, too.

Best wishes!
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Today I'm thankful for my local Vons/Safeway for providing the Open Brand label of free range, grass-fed meats! I went a little nuts but it was worth it!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Bacon. And avocado. And bacon and avocado together. And grass-fed steak, though that's only a once-or-twice-a-year thing. But yum! And the fact that sweet potatoes/yams don't make my joints hurt the way white potatoes do.
  • lesumm3r
    lesumm3r Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bacon chopped up with quartered brussel sprouts pan fried with eggs scrambled in to them SERIOUSLY THE BEST BREAKFAST I HAVE EVER HAD!
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Turkey burgers (bunless, of course) topped with bacon and a fried egg. Delicious. :3