W4 D1 - inspiration?

Options
pinkstp
pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
Just ran the W4 D1 and looking for a little inspiration/motivation :)
Week 3 runs I had such a hard time at the 2 minute mark of the 3 minute runs (I'm 5'4", 175 lbs, "run" is 5.0 mph, "walk" is 3.0 mph) that I didn't think I could do 5 minutes.
I made it through the first 3 min, and then 5 min, and then 3 min and then on the last 5 I could only go 3 minutes. Proud of myself because I just rested for 2 min and then ran the last 2 min of that "interval". Just could not go the whole 5! I'm proud but also frustrated. Any tips/guidance/motivation would be so appreciated!

I'm considering bumping my speed down (I am not a runner, and frankly I am more inclined to finish the whole program and then worry about speed later) but I feel pressured to keep with the 5 mph :/

TIA<3

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Don't feel pressured to keep the speed up. Slow down. Week 4 is the place where most people either slow down and succeed or quit. All that matters for this program is to complete the run, Nowhere does it say that you must run fast, or even a little fast.

The two major things to succeed at C25K
    1) Get good shoes
    2) Slow down
  • pinkstp
    Options
    How much of a slow down would you recommend?

My shoes are pretty new but I'm going to a running store in a few weeks to get my feet tested out and see if I can get "barefoot" running shoes or if I'm wearing the correct style for my arch, etc. I feel like I have enough support but part of getting through half of the training as a goal was that I would reward myself with new shoes for the races I intend to run after I complete the program :)

Thank you for your advice!
  • katiefromvermont
    katiefromvermont Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym and did W4D1 too!

I recommend slowing down so you can go straight through. I'm 5'1" and I'll tell you my speeds:
    warm-up 3.0
    walks 3.5
    runs 4.5 (and the last minute of the last run I bump it up to 5.0)
    cool down 3.5

And I do it all at a 2.0 incline. Because of the incline, I don't feel so bad about going slower than other people!

Good luck.
  • pinkstp
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you as well :) I'm doing it with a friend and once we complete the full course we are going to do it again with "hill" intervals and maybe run outside more, right now we're just dreadmilling it (which is okay for my weak knees/ankles).

Thank you for your tips :) We kind of talked about slowing down and we think 4.5 is a good speed or maybe 4.7 but I think I'll advocate for 4.5 mph (we can always speed up if we feel like it's not the "right pace" for each of us) :)
  • katiefromvermont
    katiefromvermont Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Right, I think that's the right attitude to take (re: you can always speed UP if you want more of a challenge).
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    slow your pace a lot! I can walk as fast as I am running, but the dynamics are different and use different muscle combinations, so it still works. AS you build endurance, then you can worry about speed. It's not about how fast you finish, it's just that you finish. Speed comes later!

I just finished W4 D3 today. The whole run was difficult until the last 5 minute run. Why? I asked the same thing. I ran mid-morning with out eating anything but a banana just before my run, so I think my body needed more fuel and I also ran mid morning when it was hotter. So I didn't have any energy til the end of the run. But after the 2nd 5 minute run, I kept running through another minute of the cool down. Next week is another milestone week. But you have gotten this far, keep up the hard work. If you can run for 5 minutes (slowly) then progress to week 5 but don't feel bad if you need to repeat a week!

Oh and my average speed for my run today (W4D3) is 4.5 including warm up and cool down. My average speed not counting warm up and cool down is 12:18 min/per or 4.88 mph
  • pinkstp
    Options
    Excellent, thank you both! :)
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Around week 4 was when I finally learned that its about breathing. Go whatever speed you have to in order to keep going. When you first do this, you'll probably feel like you can brisk walk faster then you can jog. That's normal. Over time, as long as you can manage to keep going you're body will pretty much automatically adjust to go faster on its own.

The other hurdle is the mental game. Find some mantra to tell yourself whenever you feel like you can't go any further (No pain, no gain. I can be sore today or sorry tomorrow. Just 50 more feet.) And look at things that are about 20-30 feet away as a new target to run to. As you get about 5 feet away, find the next one.
  • pinkstp
    Options
    Thank you :) I've been working on breathing. Part of my problem is that I don't sweat very much... which means as I run I just get hotter and hotter until it's unbearable. Fortunately I've been able to push through it until today!

I run inside right now so I just say in my head "Jillian Michael's would scream at you!" "it's only 30 more seconds (repeat this for about 2 minutes haha)" etc. :) Good tips!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I never sweated much either. I used to black out on hot days playing field hockey in school. Then I started this diet and the C25K. I drink so much more water and I have no problem sweating!!! Are you getting enough water? What about your salt intake? Is it too high causing you to hold onto the water you are drinking? I drink 2 glasses of water about 30 minutes before my run so I am sure I will be hydrated. Another suggestion is what about those gel bandanas you can put in the freezer. Wear it on your run to help you cool off.
  • pinkstp
    Options
    I don't think my salt intake is crazy, but I am often dehydrated. I try to drink a lot of water but it's extremely difficult on a day to day basis! Something I work very hard at. I try to drink a glass of water 10 min before running and then I bring ice water with me to swish in my mouth and sip on in between run/walk intervals to cool off. I'll have to try the bandana! I have been looking into personal fans w/ spray bottle for my workouts but maybe the bandana would be more effective (I dump water over my head after the workouts and frankly, all it accomplishes is my hair looks even more fantastic *sarc* :D)