celiac dx-had been GF for a month

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
My question: can the celiac and gluten allergy test give us a false negative if I was GF for a month prior to the blood test.
Seems to me, and everything I have read indicates, that in order to get good test result you must be eating gluten at the time of testing.

I had explained to the Doctor that I had been off gluten for almost a month due to different reasons, and was there for severe reflux and IBS issues.

I feel the gastro listened to me with half an ear as when I called for my med refill, he said I wasn't on omeprozol for my reflux, which I have been on for a year and we spoke for 10 minutes on its effects on the body and alternatives. So you an imagine I don't have full faith in his dx at this time.

Back story: Bottom line is the gluten was causing migraines (looooooong story behind this but for now I have to be at work:laugh: )

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Right, if you are not eating gluten, you will get a negative result.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are not eating gluten at the Time testing, you get negative result regardless wherever you are celiac or not.
    My son and me eating gluten free on and off for a while and I have decided to do the official testing now. Our dr said we have to do start eating gluten a few weeks to get accurate result. It is called gluten challenge.
    We are doing it for a week and it is killing me. I have stomach ache, migrane, and both me and my son having terrible diarrhea.
    It has been a loong week and I doubt if we can last for 4 weeks. Unfortunately there is no clear answer how long you have to be eating gluten to get accurate result. I read all kinds of length from 1 week to 3 month. My dr said 4 weeks , but 6 would be even better.
    We are sticking it to one more week and maybe go for testing if things get really hard .
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Wow, I feel so bad for you having to stick to it, but know how important it is to have a correct dx also.

I knew this dr was blowing me off. He also wasted my copay for the testing, as I made it very clear I had not had a drop of gluten for over a month.

Sigh- when will doctors learn to listen to the patient? I knew it didn't sound reasonable!

I am pretty sure I don't have Celiac as I don't have vitamin deficiency.

I feel for you on the migraines for sure. No one can understand what you give up when you voluntarily allow your body to be taken into battle like that after you have been doing so well. Like sticking your hand into the fire:frown:

I went to the dr today, and he is checking my vitamin levels. As I had always assumed that was part of the myriad of blood tests, it never worried me. Now they are adding in D and others due to depression and constant flare ups even with a diet of..............well nothing :laugh:

He was happy with the scale as I am down 14 pounds. Just wish it was from hard work and exercise:ohwell: I am afraid to exercise with eating so little.:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Right, if you are not eating gluten, you will get a negative result.

thanks, that is what I thought. just makes common sense!