New in lifting, which programs are best?

Options
graciepecie
graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
Hi,

I'am new with the whole 'heavy lifting' and I'd like to start the StrongLifts 5x5 program today.

How do you think about this program? Is it a good program? Is it a program you would recommend to someone new in the whole heavy lifting thing? Or would you recommend another program for a newbie?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been researching this topic all weekend and was thinking of trying this as well. Guess we're coming to the same conclusion. Was thinking of getting the equipment we need to do it at home so my husband and I could do it together whenever we wanted. I'm in for the response... and good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
  • graciepecie
    Options
    I've been researching this topic all weekend and was thinking of trying this as well. Guess we're coming to the same conclusion. Was thinking of getting the equipment we need to do it at home so my husband and I could do it together whenever we wanted. I'm in for the response... and good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

Nice!! Nothing better then exercise at home! Unfortunately I have zero experience with weight training, especially not heavy weights (!!). So I think it's better to do this at gym with a personal trainer, who can tell me how to do each form and if I'm doing anything right!!

I'm so excited to start today!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • graciepecie
    Options
    What are your goals?

Get a flat tummy for once in my life!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhh. Sorry.. little bit frustated with that awefull pooch of me:happy: I never had a nice one and after 2 babies it didn't get any better...

Hope you can give me some good advice.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    What are your goals?

Get a flat tummy for once in my life!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhh. Sorry.. little bit frustated with that awefull pooch of me:happy: I never had a nice one and after 2 babies it didn't get any better...

I'm going to make a few generalities here:

Fat loss is going to primarily be driven by an energy deficit.
    Resistance training will help you maintain skeletal muscle during that energy deficit so that the majority of weight that you lose comes from fat stores.

When you are first starting out with lifting, you will pretty much respond to just about any stimulus. What that basically means is that in the beginning, you don't necessarily need to jump under a barbell and start cranking out 5x5. That doesn't make this strategy bad by any means, I just wanted to clarify that you probably don't have the same volume or intensity requirements being that you're just starting lifting.

At this point do you have any idea as to what type of training sounds fun/enjoyable to you?

Do you WANT to train with barbells and lift heavy? Are there other modes of training that sound appealing to you?

Just grabbing context at this point.
  • graciepecie
    Options
    What are your goals?

I'm going to make a few generalities here:

Fat loss is going to primarily be driven by an energy deficit.
    Resistance training will help you maintain skeletal muscle during that energy deficit so that the majority of weight that you lose comes from fat stores.

When you are first starting out with lifting, you will pretty much respond to just about any stimulus. What that basically means is that in the beginning, you don't necessarily need to jump under a barbell and start cranking out 5x5. That doesn't make this strategy bad by any means, I just wanted to clarify that you probably don't have the same volume or intensity requirements being that you're just starting lifting.

At this point do you have any idea as to what type of training sounds fun/enjoyable to you?

Do you WANT to train with barbells and lift heavy? Are there other modes of training that sound appealing to you?

Just grabbing context at this point.

Uhu, I know that fat loss is driven by an energy deficit. That means I can also reach that goal with only doing cardio. I have understand that only cardio won't give you a nice body. I've also learned that strength training burns more calories over 48 hrs, than cardio will.

Nope, because really.. I don't like exercising it all. I don't find it fun at all! But I still have to do it. Cardio for my health and strength for a nice body. I also didn't like to train with barbells (because I had never done that). Last week I did it one time, just to get the feeling and I felt like a BOSS!! I'm sure that (just like with any type of exercise) I will get bored, that's because I don't like exercising at all. And not because I get bored, I don't exercise anymore. I still do it.

So no, I don't like exercising, yet I need to do it. And since everybody here on MFP tells me (and shows me with pictures) that heavy lifting helps burn to lose that last stubborn fat (with me it's my belly). That's why I want to lift heavy. And since I'm being determent to do this, I was wondering if 5x5 is a good program as a starter.

But are you telling me that heavy lifting (and of course eating deficit, that's why I'm on MFP:smile: ) won't help me to lose my pooch???
  • SideSteel
    Options
    But are you telling me that heavy lifting (and of course eating deficit, that's why I'm on MFP:smile: ) won't help me to lose my pooch???

I'm trying to explain the reason why heavy lifting is generally recommended but it's important to discuss context beyond that simple statement because often times programs like SS or SL get recommended as blanket statements without diving into preferential things or looking at an individuals training experience, body composition, etc. These things are relevant when selecting a program.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would add here that The New Rules of Lifting for Women might be a good book (and program) for you. It explains some of the physiological effects of steady state cardio vs. anaerobic training (HIIT, strength training) in accessible terms. It also lays out a beginner routine with a lot of variety, which might be good as you say you tend to get bored doing the same thing over and over.
  • graciepecie
    Options

I'm trying to explain the reason why heavy lifting is generally recommended but it's important to discuss context beyond that simple statement because often times programs like SS or SL get recommended as blanket statements without diving into preferential things or looking at an individuals training experience, body composition, etc. These things are relevant when selecting a program.

So what is your advice for me, now you know the context? I'm curious:smile:
  • graciepecie
    Options
    I would add here that The New Rules of Lifting for Women might be a good book (and program) for you. It explains some of the physiological effects of steady state cardio vs. anaerobic training (HIIT, strength training) in accessible terms. It also lays out a beginner routine with a lot of variety, which might be good as you say you tend to get bored doing the same thing over and over.

Thankssss!
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd second the New Rules of Lifting for Women recommendation. Especially if you're new to the weight room, it helps to have a plan and a variety of exercises to see what you like.
  • graciepecie
    Options
    I'd second the New Rules of Lifting for Women recommendation. Especially if you're new to the weight room, it helps to have a plan and a variety of exercises to see what you like.

Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Uhu, I know that fat loss is driven by an energy deficit. That means I can also reach that goal with only doing cardio. I have understand that only cardio won't give you a nice body. I've also learned that strength training burns more calories over 48 hrs, than cardio will.

I just wanted to clarify this point ^^. No it does not necessarily - intensity, duration, type etc etc are all factors as to which will burn the most.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed over NROLFW and couldn't really "focus" on it lol. A friend on my FL pointed out, though, that it does lack the info needed on how much you should be progressing.

I would recommend at least reading Starting Strength (great advice on form/technique) and Stronglifts so you can get more basics down and an idea on the weight progression.

I know when I was trying to do it on my own, I was making the mistake of high reps/low weight and barely pushing to get stronger. I applied the concepts of Stronglifts to what I do/was doing and saw huge improvements the first couple of months.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed over NROLFW and couldn't really "focus" on it lol. A friend on my FL pointed out, though, that it does lack the info needed on how much you should be progressing.

I would recommend at least reading Starting Strength (great advice on form/technique) and Stronglifts so you can get more basics down and an idea on the weight progression.

I know when I was trying to do it on my own, I was making the mistake of high reps/low weight and barely pushing to get stronger. I applied the concepts of Stronglifts to what I do/was doing and saw huge improvements the first couple of months.

I don't know--given what OP said,
    Nope, because really.. I don't like exercising it all. I don't find it fun at all! But I still have to do it. Cardio for my health and strength for a nice body. I also didn't like to train with barbells (because I had never done that). Last week I did it one time, just to get the feeling and I felt like a BOSS!! I'm sure that (just like with any type of exercise) I will get bored, that's because I don't like exercising at all. And not because I get bored, I don't exercise anymore. I still do it.

do you really think Starting Strength would be a better read for her? I love that book and have studied it closely, but it isn't for someone who gets bored with exercise easily?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to the group and I don't want to hijack someone's thread but I have the same questions.

My goals are the following:

Get Fit
    Lower body fat % to 21-24%
    Get strong
    Tone and loose inches.
    I want the jiggle gone....:blushing:

I have read up on the 5x5 and just curious myself. I have lifted before but I was in that trap of low weights high reps.

Prior to that I was in great shape (basic training does that) and I want that feeling again...

Oh and I hate hate hate cardio.

I eat food no restrictions to my diet except refined white stuff (personal choice)

I have access to free weights and a bench at home (looking into cage) as well as an onsite gym at work (not the greatest but) and spotters at home (ie Husband an 19 year old man child aka son)

Suggestions, thoughts concerns welcome
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think sidesteel covered it off already but...

Body composition changes will be a result, mostly, of your diet not the kind of weight lifting routine you chose,

5x5, starting strength, upper/lowr split, 3/4/5 day split, PHAT, dc training, all pro beginner routine, Ice cream fitness beginner 5x5...whatever .... all of these programs will work provided you meet the following

- have a diet which is set towards your main goal
    - stick to the routine consistently for a decent amount of time [this is months not weeks IMO]
    - implement some kind of progression scheme within that routine
    - train hard

Threre is no 'best' routine
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the note.

I will just have to make sure my food intake is set towards my main goal, and start lifting using whatever program works best for me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't know--given what OP said,

do you really think Starting Strength would be a better read for her? I love that book and have studied it closely, but it isn't for someone who gets bored with exercise easily?

There are concepts that she could take with her from the book if she decided to pursue certain exercises, as well as great tips on technique. If she's considering NROLFW, what's it going to hurt to also read SS or even SL to get an idea on techniques and progression since, as I said, NROLFW doesn't really cover the progression part?
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They don’t cover progression in terms of an exact weight amount, but NROLFW does say that you should increase weight when you can comfortably finish sets, i.e. the last rep should be a challenge. I’ve found that to be a good guideline, especially as I was/am just starting out, so I didn’t end up pushing myself too hard just to follow a kg increase guideline.

Now that I’m further in (at stage 5), I kind of wish there were better guidelines as to how much I should have progressed at this time, so I do get that point made by your friend.

Anyways, I think the moral of the story is: if you’re interested in starting a strength routine, read up, do your research, find a program you like that you can do safely and consistently. And eat towards your goals.
This discussion has been closed.