Recommended Reading

Options

Replies

• iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will be checking this out too... thanks for all the great resources.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I marking it for reference
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Practical Paleo is also a great resource
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For those with autoimmune issues, please add the following for support:

The Paleo Mom - thepaleomom.com
    Chris Kresser - ChrisKresser.com
    Practical Paleo - the book and website
    PaleoNonPaleo.com
    Against All Grain - book and website
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For Kids and Families:
    Paleo Mom - thepaleomom.com
    Everyday Paleo - book and website
    Eat Like a Dinosaur - book written by the Paleo Parents
    Paleo Parents - http://paleoparents.com/
    Amazon.com always has a ton of free ebooks with recipes, snack ideas, etc ). Just do a search for Paleo, and sort by cost "low to high" to get the day's free ebooks. Don't forget to leave a rating.

Podcasts - I use Stitcher on my phone and PC
    Balanced Bites Podcast
    The Paleo View - geared towards family and women's issues, hosted by the Sarah Ballantyne (Paleo Mom) and Stacy Toth from Paleo Parents
    The Fat-Burning Man Show with Abel James
    Underground Wellness with Sean (forget his last name)
    Revolution Health Radio with Chris Kresser
    Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness Podcast with Sarah Fragoso of Everyday Paleo and Jason Seib

Women and Paleo
    Stefani Ruper - paleoforwomen.com
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd like to recommend some youTube videso from the Swedish doctor, Andreas Eenfeldt.
    He has some wonderful interviews with the founding mothers and fathers of the Paleo movement.
    There is also a website: dietdoctor.com
    Best wishes, all!
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome, informative thread. Thank you! I'm fairly new to this in hopes that it might help me get my hormonal issues under control.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As mentioned later on: "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas. I think it is THE best resource/explanation. I would caution against Dr. Loren Cordain's "Paleo Diet" due to the very strong stance against fat.

Also, a little more in-depth is "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. However, I do not recommend his next book "Why We Get Fat" because the eating plan that he suggests condones the use of artificial sweeteners. Too bad. It would also be useful to overlap nutritional research with Anthropology. A lot of work has been done looking at disease and aboriginal diets but it is conveniently ignored in contemporary discussion on nutrition. Dr. Weston A. Price published "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" and his work, though "old" is completely relevant and worth consideration. I live with Inuit so I can see first hand exactly what he also observed. Too bad the WAPF has decided to take a stance against Paleo so I don't find myself very supportive of the current organization, but Dr. Price is a hero in my view.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    As mentioned later on: "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas. I think it is THE best resource/explanation. I would caution against Dr. Loren Cordain's "Paleo Diet" due to the very strong stance against fat.

The downfalls of dead-tree format. Dr. Cordain has since reversed his stance on fat. The way I look at research and whatnot is this - find the gems within each book and take that with you. Every book is going to have it's good points and bad points. Take them in aggregate and you'll likely come out with a better picture than taken individually.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Found a documentary movie and website that, from what I've seen of it so far, is awesome (my husband was watching it when I got home yesterday, so I only caught the last half hour of it). It's call The Perfect Human Diet. The maker even talked to Dr. Cordain!

http://www.perfecthumandiet.us/
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Happened across an awesome cookbook - Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort Foods.

It's got all sorts of goodies in it, including meatloaf muffins, barbeque sauce, soups, and even a couple of desserts. I've only been able to try a few recipes so far, but they've been awesome. And any book that has "bacon jelly" as the first recipe (and deviled eggs as the second) is a good buy in my book. :)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the list....:glasses:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

The downfalls of dead-tree format. Dr. Cordain has since reversed his stance on fat. The way I look at research and whatnot is this - find the gems within each book and take that with you. Every book is going to have it's good points and bad points. Take them in aggregate and you'll likely come out with a better picture than taken individually.

I absolutely agree, but because I specifically sought out Dr. Cordain's book when I first started researching this lifestyle, his low fat stance actually drove me away and I didn't come back until I found "The Primal Blueprint". I've known for a long time that low fat was a fail for me, but I had great difficulty with the concept of giving up "healthy" grains and legumes. I warn against "The Paleo Diet" only for new-comers or as a be-all and end-all of Paleo philosophy.
  • kenkl
    kenkl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Adding to the list (and bumping the thread):

The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease by Daniel Lieberman - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8S9VCK/

Lieberman was on Colbert back in November, and in the few minutes he had as a guest, he was saying some things that sounded kinda Paleo. I did the "Click to look inside" thing that Amazon does, and the book grabbed my attention in just a few pages.

It's not a Paleo guide so much as a history lesson illustrating how the Homo genus developed, with diet being one of the formative influences in our development. He also gets into the "mismatch diseases" that we face (diabetes, obesity, etc.) and how those arose around the time that we developed agriculture and, later, industry.

I haven't quite finished it yet, but I'm really enjoying it. He's done a great job at making evolutionary biology accessible and fascinating.
  • mirandapaleo
    Options
    Greetins fellow cave people! Below are the resources I use most!

paleodietlifestyle.com - excellent hard core paleo info as well as scientific explanations for why paleo
    thepaleomom.com- another excellent source of scientific info, as well as tons of recipes
    nomnompaleo.com - humor and recipes galore
    paleohacks.com - an outside support forum, questions and answers on all things paleo
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Just released December 31, 2013: "Your Personal Paleo Code" by Chris Kresser. The best Paleo lifestyle book so far imo.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks Akimajuktuq, I bought the code and am through the first couple of chapters. What an incredible delight to read such an encompassing intelliegnet approach. Like you, I have had along journey, have had to adapt all manner of diets, and listen to what my body is telling me, as well as managing some health issues. I will buy several copies and have them available to some of my patients- in part to save me saying what he says so well, and in part to give them more info than I have.

.... My weight is stalled right now- I think because of the weeks of antibiotics- so I hope the damage to my whole system is not too great, ..but it was strangely affirming reading chis's concerns about antibiotics which match my own concners, but also his intelligent recognition that like life saving surgey- some medical interventions are just necessary for survival.

Go well, cheers.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Deep Nurtrition: Why your genes need traditional food. Catherine Shanahan, MD
    Food Rules ; A doctor's guide to healthy living. Catherine Shanahan, MD
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Grain Brain is another great book explaining how gluten affects the brain. Lots of in depth information and a real eye opener.

Chic

I like Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations blog/fb page
    The Paleo Mama
    Fast Paleo
    Mark's Daily Apple

I've my own website and fb page that I just started - allthingshealthful. Not a whole lot on their yet, but wanting to educate people towards a healthy lifestyle.

Great list you guys have going. Thanks.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Awesome list :)

For a quick infographic: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-blueprint-21-day-challenge-infographic/#axzz2uA2MkjDw

I love listening to Balanced Bites Podcast and Fatburning Man.

I enjoyed reading Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.

Favorite Cookbooks:
    Paleo Comfort Food
    Nom Nom Paleo
    Practical Paleo
    Gather

Also for any former vegetarians like myself I would recommend the Vegetarian Myth as well as http://rawfoodsos.com/

And for inspiration I love checking out Mark's Daily Apple's success stories every Friday: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/category/success-story-summaries/#axzz2uA2MkjDw