Just discovered Zombies, Run!

Options
missmylin
missmylin Posts: 32 Member
I learned about ZR from a friend on MFP, and so I started the 5K tonight. I fear it's going to be a struggle for me because I have no running endurance at all, but what a fun way to work on it.

Only downside is that I was using a treadmill so my app thinks I only walked/jogged 0.4 km when I actually did 1.5 km :-(

I'm looking forward to being a productive member of Abel township :-) If there are any Runner 5's out there that need motivation like me, feel free to add me as a friend.

Replies

• KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Runner Five!!! :)
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome Runner 5!

The GPS on my Zombies Run app doesn't seem to function correctly so I have been using RunKeeper to keep track of my distance. I'm on week 8 and have just recently discovered how to edit my run lengths! Go to https://www.zombiesrungame.com and log in. Then click on My Profile. You will get a screen with all of your runs. Scroll down and click "edit runs" and then put in your distance. I don't know if that is a new feature but I was so happy to find it the other day!

Hope that helps. :smile:
  • tris57
    tris57 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I more or less just started/discovered this (Did Week 1, Run 2 this morning on the way to work) and its pretty flippin' cool.

Actually really looking forward to my next set of 15 second runs!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Runner 5! Nice to have you.

Once you get running, you'll be surprised by how long you can go! When I first started ZR, I couldn't jog 30 seconds at a time. Now I can do 5-8 minutes before I really start getting out of breath. I forced myself to run during my music, walk during the story bits.It really helped me! You'll surprise yourself every time if you keep pushing!
  • dimlights
    Options
    Hey! Me too!

I just started week 4 and am still loving it! Im using the 5k one was well! I had zero endurance when i started and now I can run for 5 minutes straight! Good luck!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Welcome Runner 5,

The endurance will build & you will be running. I started barely able to run 60 seconds & felt like I was dying, now that is a thing of the past. Week 6 day 3 today & on to week 7 the day after. Have faith in yourself & just try. Don’t give up, I know you can do it. If you are having trouble w/the breathing then slow it down, even if you think you are going slow, slow it down some more & you will be surprised @ how far you could run.
  • missmylin
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did Week 1, Session 1 last Sunday. Not bad, but breathing was tough halfway through the walk/run part, and I couldn't run at all during the free-run. I'm glad to hear that many of you built up the endurance; it gives me hope that I might be able to run more than 15 sec at a time!

Amerielle, I tried to edit my intro run like you said, but it won't take it. Maybe because there's too wide a difference between 0.4 and 1.5?

Tomorrow is session 2. Wish me luck!
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing it! Remember to slow it down, speed will come later.
  • missmylin
    Options
    Week 1, Session 2 tonight. Did it on a treadmill, and the accelerometer on my iphone (or the app) didn't pick up the distance I walk/ran nor my pace. I tried to edit the run on the website but it won't let me. Very disappointing.

But on the bright side, breathing was marginally better. And I was able to run for parts of the free run. :-)
  • Amerielle
    Options
    That's too bad you can't edit it. :frown: I am able to put in any number I want. Great job on the running! Just keep on and you will be surprised how quickly you improve!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too. I am not doing the 5K trainer, as I used C25K by Zen Labs (and "graduated" in mid-July). I am now using C210K (in week 9) by Zen Labs and Zombies, Run! at the same time (and I have MapMyRun on at the same time too).

You will be able to get through the 5K training. Follow the program, don't stress out and SLOW DOWN if you need to. If you get to the end of a week and aren't comfortable, it's okay to repeat the week. I went from really feeling like I was dying during the 1 minute runs to now being able to run a 5K (and go for 40 minutes straight without dying). You can do it!
  • missmylin
    Options
    I figured out tonight that if I use Google Chrome, then I can edit the runs. I normally use Firefox.

Does anyone know what the little icon beside the trash bin is supposed to do? I pressed it, thinking that it might be why I can't edit yesterday's run, and the run disappeared! Talk about frustrating. I sent a support request, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to redo the run if I want it to show up in my log.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The trash can is for deleting that run. It can't be recovered, that I'm aware of. I use it to delete "runs" (walks, for me, LOL) where the app or my phone drops out and I start over quickly.
  • Amerielle
    Options
    Glad you figured out how to edit your runs! I once had a run that didn't record at all. I just turned it on and let it play over again and then edited the distance with my numbers from when I ran it.
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I figured out tonight that if I use Google Chrome, then I can edit the runs. I normally use Firefox.

Does anyone know what the little icon beside the trash bin is supposed to do? I pressed it, thinking that it might be why I can't edit yesterday's run, and the run disappeared! Talk about frustrating. I sent a support request, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to redo the run if I want it to show up in my log.

The little icon next to the trash allows you to hide the run and not have it counted in your totals.
    You can unhide it by going to 'Run Logs' in your Settings page and click 'show all' under the 'Unlist' column, you should then be able to see all runs which have been hidden.
  • missmylin
    Options
    Thanks talaysia! I was able to bring back that missing run :-)

I'm struggling with this though. My endurance seems to be getting worse rather than better. My distances are getting shorter and shorter, and I'm still struggling with my breathing.

Even worse, now I'm in pain. I've always had arch pain in my left foot (fell down some stairs about 5 years ago). I bought new runners at The Running Room after lots of advice and trying on shoes. The first time I walked/jogged with them, the arch pain was gone but within 15 minutes my Achilles tendons were in screaming pain.

I haven't moved to Week 3, even though I was supposed to start Week 4 today. I've been repeating runs from Weeks 1 and 2, hoping to see improvement before I move on. I really don't want to give this up, but I'm getting really discouraged :-(