I finished C25K! If I can, ANYONE can!!

Options
jmelindy
jmelindy Posts: 34 Member
I finally finished C25k today!!! WHOOOT!!
It took over a year!
I started last spring, and stopped early summer when a family member had a horrific car accident and we spent weeks and weeks at the hospital every spare moment.
Stared again mid fall, and stopped in Nov when my ailing Father came to live here.
Stared again this March, stopped again when my Dad took a turn for the worse and weeks at the hospital before he passed away in May.
Started again... and FINISHED!!!!
I am 47, former couch potatoe, former smoker, 200lb woman, and the hardest day was day one. I felt like the tin man doing the first 60 seconds. Now it feels great.
I just wanted to tell everyone who is in the early days- YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I know this for sure, because i just did. :)
and I am crazy proud:smile::happy:

Replies

• pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! :) Excited to get there myself, great motivation :) Keep it up!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Good on you for picking it back up each time until you got to the end - not sure I'd have the get-go in me to do that! :)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • usagi09
    usagi09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You have wonderful dedication and keep up the awesome work! :-)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Great determination!!!! What a truly inspirational story! YOU ROCK!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Did you restart the program each time you started again, or did you pick up where you left off? Great job!!!
  • jmelindy
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for the kudos! As I said, I am crazy proud :)
    I am not a particularly determined person ( or so I thought),but I just really really wanted this. I wanted to get fit, but I also really wanted to finish the program.
    It was such a tangible, measurable goal and i wanted it!
    Now I have to speed up and do an actaul 5k!

I never made it past W5D2 until this last time.
    I was afraid of the 20 minute run, and stuck in week 5 each time for a few weeks, until i was interupted. Weird.

this time, when I got to W5 i just kept going and when I finished the 20 min run, I knew this time was it.
    So, I ddi restart each time, but it was always an accelerated restart. I would do one day of W1-3 and keep going.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Congrats. Your story is inspirational.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Your post made me grin. As another who never thought of herself as a runner: kudos and welcome to the club!!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Awesome job finishing!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No, no. If *I* could finish C25k, anyone can. Including you.

But seriously - hugs for all of the adversity and hat's off to overcoming all of it to graduate the program. Running really does offer a new insight into who you can be and what you can do.

I wouldn't worry about speeding up before the 5k. There's usually people walking, other new runners, etc.
  • sue284
    sue284 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Excellent work - shows what can be done when you don't give up!
  • jmelindy
    Options
    thanks again!
    I am hoping to apply my newfound determination to the weightloss effort this time round. ( round 3)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm applying it to being more productive at work.

Running makes us better people.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    and I am crazy proud:smile::happy:

And, I'm proud of you, too. To continue starting after having to stop so many times shows your dedication. Good job! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • jmelindy
    Options
    thanks so ,much!!!:smile:
    the positive feedback is making my day!!
    and I also think running is making me a better person... certainly more determined and confident