Movie?

Options

Replies

• gmad87
    gmad87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A lot of people wigging out over it, but that's pretty normal for this fandom. If I'm honest, I didn't really hate anything I saw in the trailer, but then again I'm normally pretty laid back about this stuff--even if it turns out there are some art and story choices I don't agree with. I might give it a watch when it comes online.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to it!
  • helenme28
    helenme28 Posts: 18
    Options
    Despite all the differences of opinion people in this fandom have there is one thing that everyone has in common.

We all, at some point, sat down a watched a show about colourful ponies and gave it a chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes, if anything it looks like it will be a laugh!
  • PrincessCelestia
    PrincessCelestia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Went to go see it, it was a great movie. It could have been better, but they only had so much time in the movie.
  • thisberichard
    thisberichard Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just recently saw it, myself, and while I wasn't expecting a wreck or anything, it still managed to exceed my expectations.
    Honestly, one of the biggest marks in its favor is that -- not unlike my initial experience with Juno -- I kept thinking they were going to go in a particular (overdone, cliched-as-hell) direction... and then seeing them not go there.

Like, for instance, it gets laid out early on that if she wants to win the crown, Twilight will need to unite all of these different -- and individually specified -- social cliques, leading me to expect that we were going to go through the rest of the mane cast one at a time (in a manner akin to S1E2) to recruit them and, by proxy, the social group with which they were affiliated, with an extra recruitment for "the rockers" featuring Love Interest.
    That... didn't happen. And, in fact, the fact that there were various groups that needed to be won played almost no role in anything, with nearly the entire school being inspired to rally behind Twilight after a single non-demographic-targeting music number. Granted, the music number did have each of the mane cast members stepping up, which probably helped gather their groups, there wasn't any powerful call for attention to that point.

Now, that example above is a bit of a mixed thing, since it /also/ made the story feel kind of rushed. There was an expectation for certain obstacles to be difficult to overcome, but each individual challenge was resolved very quickly. Upon reflection, though, I feel like that worked in their favor; even if it felt a little rushed, it ensured that nothing dragged on for too long. Many of the conflicts, had they gone longer, would just have been stories we've seen told a thousand times already, so giving them lots of time and attention might have felt more natural, but it would also have felt more /boring/.

That seemed to be their approach, too, as near as I could tell. Instead of giving a long time to any particular problem, they instead gave a small amount of time to a larger variety of problems! And with each of the challenges getting roughly equal amounts of attention, that also meant that early obstacles that would usually have been handwaved as quickly as possible (say... being in an unfamiliar body, for instance) actually got to be a real plot point. Most of the time, I'd have expected the not-a-human issue to be pretty much irrelevant once Twilight had first started moving around on two legs, but they carried the problem through until it could reach a moderately-sensible resolution through Twilight's active efforts to learn about her new body and environment.

I'm not going to say that it was perfect. It obviously wasn't. But even though I'd heard enough decent things about it that I wasn't expecting a train wreck, it was still able to exceed my expectations. And I think that's pretty nifty.

Given where I'm posting, though, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some displeasure at the character designs. I know the whole thing was heavily stylized and the heads were huge and all of that, but MLP had (if only by virtue of following ponies) been one of the distressingly few major properties for young girls that didn't have any unhealthy messages about body image built into its design, and the movie... changed that a bit, and not for the better.
    When even Pinkie Pie is -- by merit of the general design alone -- just a few twigs with a giant head, you're laying down some unrealistic perceptions about what we should expect from our bodies.