a little off topic...

Options
Hi Mommas! So I've been married for 3 years & w my husband for 4. We are pregnant w our second child. Before even dating we both agreed we wanted kids & a family life. It's been anything but that. I'm getting to the end of my rope now & trying to think carefully about my moves & actions. I really want my marriage to work but I feel like I'm the only one. I'm almost 35 so I don't have years to waste on dead end relationships anymore. Plus, I have 2 girls that need a strong woman to look up to. My husband claims that his actions, attitude & lack of everything is because he is so unhappy at work. I'm just not convinced. Anytime I mention being apart or him not loving me, wanting this life he swears he loves me, our almost 2yo & our newest girl on the way. First, we met at a bar & were both social butterflies but this man treasured me before I got pregnant the first time. After that it's been pretty much down hill. Little improvements but nothing sticks. I don't/wouldn't mind if he stopped a couple evenings for happy hour, came home pleasant & spent quality time w us. Instead he comes home kinda to very drunk, grumpy, quiet & watches TV til his early bed time. Barely speaks, I've never seen him actually play w our daughter. Yes he will hold her & stuff but most of the time it takes her a second to go to him because she doesn't know him that well. I've been considering giving him an ultimatum. That's nothing I've ever done before & used to feel anti about until now. I want him to get his **** together & start acting like a father/husband. Otherwise, I'm thinking I need to start planning my exit. I'm almost 23 weeks pregnant & work from home where he is on the lease. I can't just up & walk out even if I wanted to right now. I've always thought ultimatums were destined to backfire but I'm not sure I have anything to lose. I want him to be kinder to me, do family stuff at least one day on the weekends, play & participate in our 2yo's life. I already feel like a single mother now & I don't see him just improving once the new baby comes. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The only good thing is that this is helping me stay focused on making my own happiness including my healthier eating habits. I will lose all this weight again.

Replies

• queenmolly68
    Options
    I have been having similar feelings towards my husband, but I have to keep reminding myself that pregnancy makes me really irrational. I don't know about your situation specifically, but I've blown EVERYTHING out of proportion the last 5 months. I wouldn't make any major decisions until the hormones wind down and you two can re-evaluate your situation. I know my husband is unhappy, but that's because right now I'm a bee-ach to live with. Sorry things are unhappy right now, hoping that hubby wakes up and sees your needs.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to put it all in writing for him to read when he's sober.

On the upside you have someone who works for you, comes home to you at the end of the day and who says he wants to be a family with you and your daughters.

Sounds like he is miserable from the way you put it and perhaps you'd be better putting your efforts into solving his misery. He may be wrapped up in himself right now, but once upon a time he was everything you wanted. Or was he... did you think he'd change after becoming a father? Did you have expectations that he's not living up to? It's probably not the best timing for a career move, but would it really improve things that much to make it worth it?

I agree about not making life changing decisions while pregnant, but definitely take steps to try and improve the situation. You're gonna have to make him listen somehow when he's sober and discuss how you feel and how you would like it to be. Being strong doesn't necessarily mean being single, it may mean supporting your whole family in everything they do. You've invested a great deal of yourself into this relationship and it would be a shame to let it all go without a fight.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I actually have emailed him a couple times because a lot of times talking doesn't work. I do want to be supportive but I feel like he won't let me in. I agree that doing things right now isn't a great idea. I know things feel more intense. I really believe we could be happy again if he could get himself happy. I just wish he'd spend fewer hours on the bar stool & put time into making changes toward that. I do want to fight for us. I have written, made suggestions, I'm just not sure what else I can do. But I'm happy to hear packing up & going doesn't seem like the best or first choice.
  • Pokee1
    Pokee1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Would he be open to counselling? We went under the pretence to help my hubby with depression and I can't believe how much it also helped me and our relationship!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I grew up with two parents, who, in my eyes are/were amazing. In talking to my older brothers (and even friends from the neighborhood) I have come to realize that when I was a child my dad often spent a lot of time at the bar. He wasn't an alcoholic, just went there to wind down and often stayed too long, nursing one or two beers over the course of a few hours. Dealing with idiot clients all day at work (he was an engineer) and then coming home to a cranky wife and 3 kids wasn't his idea of a good time. I know my mom wasn't always happy when we were little.

By the time I was 5 or 6 though, he is in every memory I have. I think he just wasn't that into babies. He still stopped--I know this because I recall riding my bike to the neighborhood bar to tell him dinner was just about ready (ah, the days before cell phones)--but he didn't stick around. The older we got...the more activities we were involved in...the more active he was. He never missed a hockey game of mine, a football or baseball game of my brothers. He loved interacting with us as we grew up. When I was 28 and he died of cancer, I can honestly say he was one of people I was closest to. And he and my mom were madly in love again.

Having little ones is tough. I hope your children's story goes like mine did and he comes around as they grow up a little. It's totally not fair that you're often on your own now. One other suggestion (other than counseling, which I'd be all for if he'd go) is to hire a sitter a night a week....a standing date night...and reconnect with your husband as two adults. Not two parents. I can tell you that the difference between my friends who do this and my friends who don't is astronomical. I think those are the couples who know why they fell in love with each other and--even if it's just for one night a week--are still that person to each other. Another thing is a mix of couple friends....those with and without kids. It seems to keep things a little more lively. Good luck!!
  • nan199678
    Options
    We used to do date night once a week until I stopped drinking. Now it's pretty rare. I kinda get pissed hearing he doesn't have money for a movie or dinner because I know he's spent more than a fair amount on himself at the bar. Yes he works but he doesn't want me to work outside the house. It's really unfair that I get a small amount of money & I'll buy groceries or take our daughter out or pay bills when I had more money but he will pay some bills & then feel entitled to spending the rest on himself. Today we are arguing because I told him a couple weeks ago I really want to start doing things as a family. We covered some stuff that he would like & when I ask him about doing something today he tells me " Sunday would be better because I'm going to see Ian's play Saturday" . Ian is an old friend, cool. But it irritates me that he's been in the bar 3 nights (missed a night because he was broke) already, probably tonight will make 4 & his first plan is to do another thing on his own. I'm sick of him acting like a single man it's completely not OK if I did that. And I'm sick of not having as money as I'd like to do family stuff because I'm not working outside the house. I feel like I'm doing what he prefers me to do. My work here at home is really important & I shouldn't be struggling alone because he works outside & gets the money in his hands. It's selfish & unfair. I'm so tired of being angry. He said he would do counseling but that's as far as it has gone so far. Maybe I will try to look into it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont have much advic...just a hug and you are a strong woman who can take care of her babies if need be. Just make sure he cant get out of his financial responsibilities.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same ting as Pokee1, couple's counselling? Not as an ultimatum but maybe just express how much you love him, that you want to do something to make life better for both you AND him too, because you can see he is unhappy, compared to a few years ago.

If you pose it in a way that is not also "criticizing" him at the same time he might be more open to respond? A lot of men seem to stop listening or get defensive when they feel criticized, even though it might be completely deserved!

I hope things brighten up for you soon, I feel for you!
  • Andrea3030
    Andrea3030 Posts: 161
    Options
    This doesn't sound healthy AT ALL.

I am a stay at home mom completely dependent financially on my husband and I would never, ever put up with him going out drinking 4-5 nights a week. And trust me, my husband likes to go to the bar and we were quite social before. I can understand Friday nights or something but more than 1-2 nights a week seems excessive.

Is he depressed? Are you sure he is really going to the bar?

You have your own income, why are you putting up with this? Like for instance he went to see a friend's play...well the obvious thing to me would be for you two to make a date night out of that and you go with him...hire a babysitter or something right? Does he even think to ask you to do that stuff with him?

If I were you I would tell him that I wanted to go to couples counseling and I would make the appointment. If he refuses I would start planning my exit. I would probably start individual counseling for myself in that case so I could figure out why I was putting up with this.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through this especially being pregnant. It doesn't really sound like he wants to be a husband or a father to the kids. I agree that maybe you should try counseling and he may need help with his drinking too. I would not be able to handle my husband going out that much without me. That would make me crazy! I know how it is with going to different rooms to watch tv and hang out. We have that problem too bc we don't agree on any of the same shows and I guess neither of us are really willing to compromise at least not a lot of the time. I hate it and pregnancy doesn't seem to be bringing us any closer. I hope things get better for you and hope you make a decision that will make you and your kids happy.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth my other half spends 2 or 3 nights a week in a bar also and it used to drive me crazy too. I used to get upset that it seemed he didn't want to spend time with me or at home after the kids arrived. Over the last ten years I've learnt that he's a social drinker and would rather be out with his mates than home with babies. Now the kids are older it's better as he finds it easier to get on with them and makes an effort to spend time with them now, but in the early years it was hard on all of us. Do you get any other adult company as that was something I lacked as a stay at home mum? The money side of things hasn't got much easier as I still consider all the money he spends out as wasted, because I know I could do so much more with it and yes, occasionally still he overdoes it completely. But if he sat in the house all the time he would be miserable and would drive me nuts too. Our compromise is that he comes home for his tea and goes out after, so that the kids get to see him before their bedtime and then also I know he's not drinking on empty stomach. There are two nights a week when I definitely know he's going out and where he'll be and usually a third unplanned. He does play snooker for the local team so his nights out he calls 'snooker practice'.

At least you got your other half to talk, if only briefly. However be careful you don't 'bang on' about it, as you don't want to get classed as nagging either! A fine line I know! Is there a compromise you can come to? Maybe counselling might work for you. I don't think all men are happy to be home with the wife and kids all the time. It's like anything they are expected to do becomes a drag, something they feel they have to rebel against or escape from. But that may be male immaturity as well. It may get better for you as the kids get older, but that's not much good to you now, I know. What's the difference in letting him do his own thing for a bit while you bring up the kids, and splitting up and doing it all on your own anyway? Neither is ideal, but you love each other so will have to work something out that works for you both. Counselling may well help you both see things from the other's point of view. But I would concentrate mostly on yourself and the kids and try not to get het up about his nights out. What would happen if you stopped going on about him being out for a while? Would he feel more relaxed about coming home and spending time there? I hope you work it out. Good luck!
  • nan199678
    Options
    Hi. I'm gonna try to cover all the questions w one reply. Yes I am sure he's at the bar. Doubting that would be an entire different issue that I would not tolerate-at all. I know he struggles w depression & right now I do think he's having a hard time w it more because he's so unhappy at work. I don't really mind the going to the bar as much as the crap attitude after. To me, you're doing what you want, don't be an *kitten* about it. And coming home around 6 is OK, not my favorite, but OK w me. I rarely, if ever give him grief about it because I know that will do no good. My thing is when your daughter hasn't seen you in 1-3 days because you get home late. She asks for him & honestly, I'm sick of saying daddy's at work when I know he's not. The money is a big issue for me. My income now is very little. I had a busy home daycare for a little while but ice scaled it back a lot. Now I make about 100-120 a week & I use that to buy groceries on his off pay weeks. Plus, I use it to do stuff w our daughter because I'm determined for her to have a fun happy childhood like I did. I've let up on the daycare because I hate it. I am thinking in the spring/summer to get a job outside of the house to be around adults & be able to use my brain. And especially w his lack of being around it is more miserable. Plus when the new baby comes Nov, I won't have a bunch of parents to help find new care. I plan to keep working w one family so I still have a little money. My nagging is really about time with us. The play idea absolutely pissed me off that he didn't think to invite/make a date of it. Just like when he looks into trips to do by himself. I finally gave in & told him if he needed to get away to clear his mind I'd be on with it but mainly because I planned/hoped we would spend our life together & I'll definitely want to do a girls weekend. I have gone to my dads at the beach a couple times without him but I take our daughter. He's not planning on taking her traveling with him, so its way different. In his past he traveled a lot & was alone a lot. But he said & says he doesn't want to be that person anymore, believe me I've asked. I just dont get why he always seems to go back to acting like that.

Since my latest ***** out to him about not being there for us, he stayed out late Friday. That was after our last argument which really consisted of me telling him how crappy things are via text. I know that sucks but I was so angry I had to get it out. Saturday he skipped the play which afterwards I learned he was planning to sleep over in DC. He came home & cooked for me & was a little bummed but just said he needs to make changes. I asked if I could help & he said no. Today we had planned to do something as a family & we have. We had a lazy morning, then went to a train museum, our daughter loves trains & now just planning to relax & I'm making dinner. My perfect world would be him being home after work every night minus 2-3 where he stops for happy hour, still home by 6-630. Then a night for us, a day to do whatever he wants w friends or god forbid-our kid & then a family day. I've told him this before. And it would work for a little bit. But somehow we fall back into this routine of him drinking every night after work. And my husband does not nurse a beer/drink. He's a drinker like a beer & a shot at a time guy. And then some. Coming in a grouch & going to bed early. He goes to bed early like 8-830! So I think wanting 2-3 hours a day isn't asking too much.

Thanks for all this feedback .I wish I could have him see this to know I am not nuts without him going crazy I've shared so much personal business. But it really helps me. :-)
  • nan199678
    Options
    I think you are right, Enediyne. I do want this to work out & the past few days have been better. Trying to work on patience & being supportive. It's just harder to deal w because I'm not used to being pushed away. But I did date women for 10 years so that could be the difference. :-)
  • Andrea3030
    Andrea3030 Posts: 161
    Options
    Glad you guys had a good couple days.

It sounds like he needs help. Whether that be therapy, medication, a change in jobs, a combination of all three. Some people, men especially, base their happiness on their job. Think about how much time he spends there, if he is unhappy that whole time that is a large portion of his life.

Even still, that doesn't give him the right to be neglectful as a husband and father.

Have you ever brought up counseling, whether couples or individual? My DH went for awhile during a tough time and we also went together for a short period of time. It can help a lot.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    And I take my hat off to you: it sounds like you are trying really hard for your family and all the extra energy you have to spent on this must take it out of you, you're pregnant!
    I really respect you for putting so much effort into making things work :)
  • nan199678
    Options
    Thank you Fly :-). Another pretty happy weekend. Things seem to be moving in the right direction. I really hope it keeps up. :-) :-) :-) I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to read that things are looking up!!

I just wanted to share a piece of advice (in case anyone in the future reads this under similiar circumstances) that was given to my husband and I when we first got married... "never quit on your worst day". It means, if you HAVE to give up, don't do it as all the crap hits the fan... wait unitl you can feel a little happiness or remember the good stuff too and then weigh out whether giving up it worth it.

Another suggestion is to read the 5 love languages book. Man was this book one of the best things to happen to my husband's and my relationship. The premise of the book is that we all recieve love a different way and we all show love a different way. My love language is "service" - if my honey wants to express love or appreciation to me the most influential things he can do to make me feel loved are: putting away the laundry, doing the dishes, filling my car up with gas, telling me he's got the kids for an hour so I can take a bath, etc.... but before we read this book he would just suffocate me with physical attention (holding hands, cuddling, wanting nooky... basically everytime he was within ten feet, he had a hand on me at all times. I felt suffocated a "like a piece of meat".

After reading the book - I realized his love language is physical touch (the majority of men's love language is physical touch). And I was reading it as him being horny - not him expressing love (both are physical, but there is a difference in how he approaches the situation). Likewise, I would ask for help around the house or with the kids or whatever and he'd kinda blow me off. He didn't realize that by doing this he I was interpretting it as disrespect, ungratefulness, and making me feel unloved. That wasn't what he thought he was communicatting - it's all about intentions and the 5 love languages book really hleped me understand that he wasn't being disrespectful - we just have different ways we communicate love - and everyone expects love to be given the way they give it. I've started putting my hand on his shoulder when I'm trying to talk to him and we hold hands now in the car. He's started washing the dishes after dinner each night. It's funny how those little things steamroll into making us both feel more loved and making our home more peaceful. Does that make sense?

Anyways - long story short - if you can, read the 5 love languages. It's awesome.
  • cdbarger
    cdbarger Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to read the 5 Love Languages book. I read it a few months age when I was feeling very irritated with my husband. I was tired of being mad at him and holding all that anger in and I knew it was going to lead to problems unless I could get myself under control.

Just by me reading it and becoming more aware of our "love languages" has made a difference in our relationship. My husband didn't even read the book, but since I have been more loving toward him, he has reciprocated.

Good luck with everything!
  • nan199678
    Options
    Thanks for the book advice! I'm definitely going to get it asap!