where are you from?

Options

Replies

• Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So happy I found this group! I'm Terri, a 57 year old woman at the beginning stages of reclaiming her dream! I've just started riding again, in the arena to start, but have the vision of bringing horses back into my life full time in the next year!

I live in north of San Francisco by about 40 minutes at "The Gateway to Wine Country" aka Petaluma, California. We are famous for Eggs, White Leghorn Chickens and Dairy! Ever hear of "Clo the Cow" and Clover Stornetta? That's us! Every year in April we celebrate our heritage by flooding downtown with the "Butter and Eggs Day" Parade, and average about 40,000 people that begin lining the streets in the early morning hours for the noon start. We're also a city separated by a river, so we have the East Side ("newbies") and West Side (peppered with Victorians). Petaluma was established in 1858 and we are in the process of getting not one but two Big Box Malls. Traffic -- whoohoooo!

I've been a horse nut since I was a kid, and had my own horses in my late teens til early 20s. Up until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't been on a horse in over 20 years, but it refueled my passion, rekindled my joy and reignited my dreams! I'm currently reading "The Smart Woman's Guide to Midlife Horses" and am loving it! Beginning to put into practice the exercises, since I have an old back injury that has made exercise challenging (at best). That said -- Ain't NOTHING gonna slow me down!! I've got to keep on movin'! Dreams are calling and I am listening with my whole heart!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Terri! Good for you, getting back in the saddle. You go!
  • Stormygirl1111
    Stormygirl1111 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I live in Jones, OK (USA). Have never been out of this country and I am so happy to see members from other countries here! Very exciting, almost like getting a new pen pal. I grew up riding Western and still do but I am currently learning to ride English and it is a lot more work! We currently own 8 horses. I have a Warmblood that we purchased in April of 2012 (my profile picture). I am taking my lessons (hunter/dressage) on this big guy. The horse in the banner picture is a TB. We have been working English with him as well, but he is not fully trained like the gray. We also have 2 Applasoosas, another TB, and 3 Quarter Horses. We run barrels with the two QH an one of the Apps. Have to make money running barrels in order to pay for the English. Anyway, that is where we hale from and our history. I am so glad you joined and I love your picture! Welcome!
  • hintzam
    hintzam Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Laotte, where are you from in WI? I also live in WI and Im from Stoughton, which is between Madison and Janesville. My hometown where I grew up was Wausau. Im always looking for someone to ride with. We have 4 horses. Outlaw my husbands horse and he is a Spotted Saddle horse (spotted Tenn. walker). Duncan who is in training 3yr old Gypsy Cob. Splash my Rocky Mountain horse she is blind and I trail ride with her, she had a colt 5 weeks ago....our first baby, his name is Thor. Anyway good to see someone on here from WI.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Scotland.
    Have a young Piebald Cob and Dartmoor Hill Pony. Enjoy doing ground work with them,
    It's lovely to find this group, losing weight and being fitter can only help our passion! :-)
  • 3rdChance
    Options
    Cool fun!

What breed of horse I own/ride? My little bay project is an American Quarter Horse mare named Chance. Full name Destiny's 3rd Chance.

What style of riding? Western with a classical foundation. I have a background in dressage which I find transfer nicely to good Western riding.

And anything else you might want to add: I call Chance my little bay project because she once had a horrendous life. Two years after acquiring her, she not only managed to not kill me but we are attending our first show October 5.

I am looking forward to the feedback so we know what to work on this winter. I am currently not only shedding pounds but putting myself through an athletic training regimen so we can clean up next year. ;)
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Illinois!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Happy to have found some other horse enthusiasts. I am from Nebraska-cow country! I had a horse when I was younger, but was out of the horse world for 30 years until I happened to have a little girl, now a teenager, who was just as horse crazy as her momma once was. I put her in lessons when she was 8 and of course my own suppressed passion for horses came flooding back. I bought her a horse of her own when she turned 12. He is a former cutting horse that we are re-training to be a hunter jumper. He is a 14 yr old beautiful thoroughbred/ paint, flea-bitten grey and white with 2 blue eyes, his name is Dusty. I decided to buy myself a horse a year later after riding Dusty for a while. I just knew it was something we both would love to share and do together for some great mommy/ daughter quality time. So, after 30 years away form riding, I now own Lilly, or she owns me, not sure which ,lol. She is a 15 yr old solid black breeding stock paint. (QH bloodlines). She was not ridden much in the last couple years, very spoiled, and needs to re-learn a lot of things. I've had her a year. We are making progress slowly as she had bad feet from her prior owner keeping her on pasture despite foundering. (yikes-I know!) I'm learning some basic dressage skills with her, and doing lots of ground work/natural horsemanship. Neither my daughter or I do the show circuits. We love the English disciplines, but we trail ride western on occasion. We really just enjoy learning and working with our trainer on making our horses (and us too) the best they can be.
  • MoganHorse
    MoganHorse Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Arkansas- Oklahoma border and I live on a Buelingo cattle farm (the cows that look like oreo cookies!). I train/ show quarter horses in all around (showmanship, hunt seat, horsemanship, and pleasure). I've been in the saddle practically since I was born and I was raised with my current horse, a palomino Quarter Horse, as his dam is my father's old mare and his sire is our stud.
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm from Leeton, NSW, Australia.

I have six horses/ponies and a donkey. My horse is a Welsh Cob of 15hh and we do carriage driving competitions. I also ride my cob, which helps with the carriage driving anyway. All are welsh bred apart from the donkey of course.

1 x Welsh A Gelding called Dalen
    1 Welsh B Mare called Prim
    2 Welsh C Geldings called Feldie & Skyway
    2 Welsh Cob Geldings called Jack and Granite
    Loveable Donkey called Eddie Murphy

I used to love jumping as a kid, but don't think I'd bouce too good now...lol

We also have five cats, two dogs, a rooster and four hens. Gotta luv animals!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to where everyone is from? I'm from the uk, north east side from a littke town called Hartlepool which is famous for hanging a monkey.

What breed of horse the own/ride? I own a thoroughbred called jack daniels who is 11yr old and an ex racer.

What style of riding? English but I can ride western.

And anything else you might want to add

I am from the Northwest GA area of the U.S. just outside of a couple of different towns - LaFayette and Chickamauga. I am owned by a Paint, a TB/QH cross and a paint/TW cross.
    Up until recently I always rode western but I have acquired and english saddle that I LOVE!
    I haven't ridden my horses in over 6 months because life has gotten in the way which sux.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Hampshire (USA). I just started back up with myfitnesspal and was thrilled to find a horse group here! I have a 8 year old TB that came off the track last fall. Hoping to get back into eventing (I had an arab who I owned for 28 years, until his death last year, and who I evented back when we were both much younger). We also have a 13 year old standardbred that my daughters ride - she's a sweetheart and great with my 11 year old.
  • cuppsc
    cuppsc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Native Texan. Dallas Fort Worth.
  • cuppsc
    cuppsc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, I own three horses. A QH, generic gaited horse and a BLM Mustang yearling. I ride western.
  • laotte
    laotte Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm from WI, known for Cheese and The Packers!! I have one horse she is a paint, and we trail ride all over the midwest. We have been to IN, KY, TN, AL, IL, MN, MI, and of course WI. My goals are little ride two times a week, workout two times a week, and eat one vegetable a day. Start small. :)
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland :)

I currently have a lovely loan pony, a dark bay Welsh Section D X called Monty.I ride English and we are currently working on our jumping, I'm hoping to compete in some unaffiliated showjumping competitions next year.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Hi all, I'm from the south coast of the uk, my name is Nikki and I have two horses, one of those gorgeous piebald irish cobs, 15hh, very heavyweight and stocky with two blue eyes, he's 14 now and I've had him 13 years, my second is a chestnut Irish Draught x warmblood x American Paint who is 6 years old and stands 16hands approx. She's a lot more dainty than my boy, but not so well schooled yet. I ride English, have tried Western but I'm mpre comfortable with what I know. My passions are dressage, working equitation and endurance riding.

I've been on MFP since August and need to lose another 20lbs or so to be able to start riding again. Great to see more horsey people on here!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My name is Mindy. I live in Colleyville, TX. It's just NE of Fort Worth, still in Tarrant County. I have two horses, both are Paints. My mare's name is Dixie, she is a sorrel overo (my profile pic) and I also have a gelding named Lonesome. He is a tobiano palomino. Although I have shown Lonesome, Dixie is my show pony. I show primarily western but have been known to enter an english class or two. Dixie and I just started showing western dressage. I have a bunch of ribbons (that I have won over MANY years) - mostly red, yellow, some white, pink, and green... but NO blue, until now. We won our first Western Dressage class. :) I can't tell you how amazed I was when they handed me that ribbon. I was so proud of both of us. My mare is a rock star and gives her all in the arena, on the trail, anywhere. I LOVE that horse. I owned her as a weanling and then circumstances forced me to sell her when she was 4. I accidentally found her for sale on the internet and brought her home a few months ago. She is 12 now.

I really want to excel in WD but I can't do that if I am fat and out of shape. I have been on MFP for a few years now and still have about 75 - 80 lbs to go.
  • ukunbanshee
    ukunbanshee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm 1 hour SE of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I currently have 3 TB's -
    George, 17.2hh 24yo retired eventer
    Charlie, 15.3hh 26yo retired show jumper
    Sparrow, 9yo 16.2hh eventer

I have my own property which means endless poopa scooping, sweeping, raking, etc. Never a dull moment (or holiday! ).

I ride Sparrow aka Spaz 5-6 days a week, and compete most weekends. Comps are few and far between in winter, so we head to a local indoor 1-2 times a week, and ride at home in my own arena the other days.

It's just coming into summer here now (30-40 degrees centigrade most of the time in summer! ), so have to ride either before work or just before dark to beat the heat.

I've been riding since I was 3, and only took a year off at 18 to quite literally run off with the circus. The horses bought me back - couldn't resist!

Having the horses means constant hard work and exercise, but I think my bodies used to it, which means I have to do more exercise to get rid of some weight. I'm 64kg, but my perfect weight is 55kg.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm from Southwest Missouri, USA. About halfway between Springfield and Joplin. Haven't ridden in years, but am looking to take it up again. Did mostly ranch work and no competitions when I rode.

Grew up on a beef cattle operation and used horse fairly often. I have a brother who has competed in roping and rodeo most of his life and so I have access to his string of horses and facilities.

I have a Masters in agriculture and worked in the feed industry for part of my career. I have taught secondary agriculture for about 16 years.