1000 - 2000 calorie burn

Options
2»

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, you just need the proper mix of fairly heavy and kind of fast. The follow 1 hour runs should result in 1,000+

210 lbs @ ~9:00 pace should get you over 1,000

200 lbs @ ~8:30 pace

190 lbs @ ~8:00 pace

180 lbs @ ~7:30 pace (this is my long tempo run)

170 @ ~7:00 pace

150 @ ~ 6:40 pace

Extrapolating down to my current weight, I know that 100 calories in an hour is not going to happen for me unless I gain an obscene amount.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As previously stated, you just need the proper mix of fairly heavy and kind of fast. The follow 1 hour runs should result in 1,000+

210 lbs @ ~9:00 pace should get you over 1,000

200 lbs @ ~8:30 pace

190 lbs @ ~8:00 pace

180 lbs @ ~7:30 pace (this is my long tempo run)

170 @ ~7:00 pace

150 @ ~ 6:40 pace
    I think that is further evidence that very few people do it. As I said, it is doable, but I think only a small % of the MFP population can sustain the effort of going an hour at the listed paces.
    Yeah, quoting myself as it is too late to ETA. Anyway, I should have mentioned that my PB for 10k is barely under an hour and when I am out running long distances for over an hour my pace is generally in the 10:15 range and I am 170. In this particular discussion forum, that is nothing to brag about; it's pretty slow. On the busier trails, I get passed by a few people my size or smaller but rarely get passed by anyone bigger. And I am pretty sure most of the people passing me are not running a 7:00 pace or won't be running an hour or more. Most runners are just out there for under 5 miles. I was talking to a neighbor that runs the other day about the nice trail system in a neighborhood 2 miles from ours. He was interested in trying them and asked me where I parked. Uhm... in my driveway. :bigsmile:
    I have to disagree with your opinion that there are not many people on MFP capable of burning 1000 calories in a run. There are several just in this group who do that a couple of times a week.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It's all relative, the number 1,000 is meaningless. Running for an hour at a moderate intensity will add around 25-30% to anyone's TDEE for that day, regardless of weight, age, or speed. That being said, if you're overweight and/or untrained it is not a good idea to dive into that much running or other intense endurance sport, one should build up to it gradually and keep it to 3 runs a week.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with your opinion that there are not many people on MFP capable of burning 1000 calories in a run. There are several just in this group who do that a couple of times a week.
    I'd say this group is unique on MFP though, it's filled with people who are distance runners. By our nature we're going to be going out for longer runs, and because we run more than the majority of people, we're going to usually be faster. This group is far more likely to pull off the 1000 calories in an hour of running than your average MFP-er.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'd say this group is unique on MFP though, it's filled with people who are distance runners. By our nature we're going to be going out for longer runs, and because we run more than the majority of people, we're going to usually be faster. This group is far more likely to pull off the 1000 calories in an hour of running than your average MFP-er.
    Yep. Also, the person who disagreed changed what I said to "1000 calories in a run" when I said "1000 calories in an hour". Last night I burned over 1000 in a run, but it took me 90 minutes and it was probably around the 70 minute mark where I crossed 1000. I don't think I have ever done 1000 in an hour. The poster also changed "small %" to "not many people". that is not valid; MFP is such a large community that a small % is a lot of people, many of whom can be found in this forum. Anyway, with my words twisted like that I also disagree, but I still stand by my statement in its original form:
    I think that is further evidence that very few people do it. As I said, it is doable, but I think only a small % of the MFP population can sustain the effort of going an hour at the listed paces.