Welcome to our 17 Day Diet support group

Options
jenbk2
jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
Hi ladies since we will be on this journey together I thought we should say alittle bit about ourselves.

I am Jen. Mom to 2 boys. I live in Buffalo NY. Married to my husband for close to 10 years. I have a pretty sedentary desk job. I love reading, knitting and spending time with my 2 little men. We are very busy family between the sports,time with friends and family.
I have been doing this weightloss thing for way too long and I really feel this is it ! I can do it this time ! Oh I also am a Type 1 Diabetic.

So tell me about yourselves?

Replies

• caitlindrew422
    caitlindrew422 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Caitlin, I am a newly-single (well still in the divorcing stage) mother of 2 young children ages 5 and 6. I am 30 years old, 5'4" and about 50 lbs. overweight...I think. I am going back to school soon and really looking forward to a new chapter in my life. I have always been overweight, I cannot remember a time in my life that I wasn't somewhat overweight. I really enjoy food, I love to cook- so I am going to focus my love and passion for cooking and food on finding ways to prepare what I can eat in a delicious way!
    17 day diet felt perfect for me, before finding it I was considering either doing a 10 day juice cleanse or a sugar detox. I found this and read about it and felt really comfortable with it and what I read made a lot of sense.
    I will be beginning tommorow morning. I am so happy we will have this group going b/c I do have some questions, and am also looking forward to the support and suggestions we will have on here!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Jen - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for setting us up. I love that we have our own group now.

I am Lucy. I'm 49, been divorced for 14 years. I've got 2 teenagers (19 and 14). I never had a weight problem until I hit my 40s. Somewhere about 42/43ish I started feeling more and more tired all the time but my doctors just said I was too young for the "M" word. Over the last 6 years I've put on 70 pounds. Turns out I finally, at 49, found a doctor who ran a bunch of tests and figured out gee - I might have a hormone imbalance. My thyroid was all but dead and I had huge vitamin deficiencies. Anyway, that was a month ago and thanks to his help I'm starting to feel so much better and like my old self from way back when. Even though I've not been successful at getting the weight off YET I am very excited to be on the 17 Day Diet. I have such a good feeling about it.

I'm also a huge reader and knitter (Jen are you on Ravelry by any chance)?
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I am Adrienne. I live in Balersfield, CA. Separated for several years, hopefully be divorced by early next year. I have 3 kids, two sons, 17 and 13, and one daughter, 25. I also have a granddaughter, almost 14 omnths. They all live with me.

I've struggled wtih my weight all my life. I lost a lot of weight in 2008 and kept it off for a couple of years. Over the past 3 years I've gained some of it back and am now looking to lose at least 50 more. Fortunatley, I didn't gain it all back but it was quite a hit! I too have hypothroidism but it was diagnosed in 2008, after I had lost weight, funny how that happens. But, at least i can't really blame that, since i was able to lose weight initially. Just need to keep my dosage right.

I work full time and more outside of the house, cart kids around when I'm at home, and potter around doing things around the house when I have time. I'm hoping that I can get back into my old walking routine again.

Unfortunately, I'm not too creative in the kitchen. so I look forward to hearing about the new recipes you come up with! I'm pretty hopeful that the 17 day approach will work as it does seem very doable.

It seems we've got a very excited and engaged group so that should really work to our advantage! Thanks Jen for putting this group together!!
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies :smile:

Jen, thanks so much for starting the group.

I agree with all of you who said this "diet" could not have happened at a better time. I needed a big butt kick :laugh:

Today is day 3 for me. I jumped on the scale, and am down 0.3kg / 0.66lbs. I did not except huge losses by now, because I did drop a KG just before we started and I did not pig out a day or 2 before starting this program. So all and all I am super happy so far. I have loads of energy and my body is singing hooray for all the veggies it is getting hahaha.

Hopefully I get more time today to read up and chat some more.

Hope you all have a fabulous day.
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group. :flowerforyou:

Hi, all. My name is Melissa. I am married and I have two very active kids (almost 8 & almost 4). I started this journey last year around March 2012 to lose wieght after seeing myself in a picture, I was disgusted how I looked. I know I needed to change right then and there. I started this journey at 171.5 lbs. The first few 30 were kinda easy, in 5 months, I lost those 30 lbs. I then sorta fell off the wagon, I gained a bit and started the new year at 150. I have gone back to 140 and I have stayed there for months. I am tired of seeing the 140s. Dang it, I want the scale to go down. lol

So I heard about this diet. I started the first day strong then yesterday due to my dang period, I gave in to ice cream. :grumble: I started day 1 with some water weight I had gained after a bad couple days. So the scale said 142.5 and I am not 139.5 so I have lost 3 lbs so far not following it so strict. ;)
  • Calderon46
    Calderon46 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Nice meeting all you lovely ladies.
    My name is Debbie, I live in the UK.
    I've been trying to lose weight for a very long time.
    I started on this site last September, after having major surgery, and putting on more weight during my recovery phase.
    I started off at 115 lbs in Sept 2012, went down to 104.1 lbs at Christmas 2012, post Christmas went back up to 210 lbs (CW).
    I've been studying hard for the last year, and fell off the wagon big time. I've finished studying for this year, so hopefully can get back on track with eating healthily and exercising again.

Ideally I would like to get down to 147 lbs.

I do Bokwa on a Monday, Salsa on a Tuesday & Zumba on a Thursday!

Hope this 17DD kick-starts my weight loss.

I want to look good in my clothes again and stop having to hide my body under baggy tea-shirts and leggings.

I have other incentives to lose weight:

3 weddings to attend (not my own yet!)
    1st wedding 7th Sept 2013
    2nd wedding 27th Sept 2013
    3rd wedding 31st May 2014

Fingers crossed that I can lose some weight to fit into my dress.

I haven't worn a dress for over 10 years because I can't stand my body and how it looks, and don't have the confidence either!
    Things have got to change right now!

Thank you for starting this group! I also have a very good feeling about this diet this time round!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I did this diet last year and think it's time to do cycle 1 again. I plan to start Monday. I have 8 kids (19,14, 13, 11, 10, 8, 5, and 2). We homeschool and run a farm.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I am so excited to find this group. I did the 17 day in the Spring of '11 and got to my goal weight and I guess I thought I had "arrived" or something so a little over a year later I have put 20 of the lbs back on. I am going to make it a life style this time and go through all of the cycles. I love this diet because ive never eaten veggies or much meat and it's forcing me to do so. Good luck and im very excited to take this journey w/ you. I have a link to the doctors website with all sorts of 17 day recipes if anyone wants to email me I will send it to you. tabitha.knecht@yahoo.com

OH! I am a terrible mother! I have 2 kids a 20 year old daughter and 16 year old son. I have been married to my sweetheart for 21 years. I am a bank president and sit on my *kitten* all day therefore it has taken the shape of my chair
  • Budzgirl33
    Budzgirl33 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am so glad to have found a group for 17DD! I love this diet! My name is Melyssa, I am 44, Very happily married, and between us we have 5 kids (all but one over 18) and 6 grankids. :) . I heard about this diet in the fall of 2010, and ordered the book and started in January 2011. I stuck to it "by the book" and had great success! I lost 65 pounds in 6 months. I never felt hungry and felt so much healthier and energetic! I used to say to my husband all the time...I love this diet!! I actually get to eat!! Haha.
    Anyone who would like please send me FR, I can use all the motivation and accountability I can get!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi Alisha here :) I am a mom of 5 beautiful children and I am lucky enough to be able to stay home with them. I have always been active and healthy but stumbled across the 17 day diet after having baby #5 and wanted to lose the weight fast. I did with this diet and anyone can If you make it a lifestyle. I have been mostly maintenance and lately been little off so reeling myself in with the clean eating starting today :) Having people to talk to make it easier :) So I might C2 starting today :)
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am Gina. I am 47 and have 100 pounds to lose. I have been learning Taekwondo for the past 3 months, 45 minutes 4-5 days a week. I start a walk to run program in the morning and I am aiming for 3-4 days a week with that. Tomorrow I also start Cycle 1. followed the diet a while back and I know it works. I look forward to this adventure.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What happened? Is this forum still alive? Well I am late, but i just stared.
    My name is Diana, I am married with 2 young kids (2yr old and 3 yr old) I blame my weight gain on them!! Having them one after the other.. ha ha. But its time to stop making excuses and realize it is the 3 chesse nachos from Q-doba and Red Velvet chessecake that has brought me here.
    I was always thin (i wanted to GAIN weight when i was younger) After i got married and had kids it all changed.. i was okay with it unitl i started seeing my face full in pictures. One day i tried on my older sisters dress (who has always been bigger then me) I could not even get it to zip half way. That was my "OH-NO!" moment. I knew I had to do something.
    I work on the computer all day. (Also started right after i had my first child) I believe that this along with my love of greasy chessy savory food has brought me to my current weight. I am looking to lose 20 pounds. And keep them off. : )