Starting my journey...

Options
Hi! I'm so happy I found you guys!!! Four years ago I went to all of the dietician appointments and meetings and wanted the lapband surgery but chickened out. Here I am four years later, 30 lbs heavier and very sick and tired. I have decided to go back and this time follow through except I am interested in the gastric bypass. I am on a lot of medications for bipolar disorder and I was told by the nutritionist I should look into the sleeve because the bypass might not absorb the medication. Has anyone had experience with this?
I have my first official appointment next week on the 15th. Today was my second weigh in and I've lost 6 lbs so far since my consultation. I'm really happy!

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I too chickened out after going through the process for approval 9 years ago. Got my act and head together and had my RNY oct 2010. Best decision ever. Sleeve was not frequently done here, and RNY was what was recommended. I would research the drugs you need to take. Call the pharmaceutical company and as them where absorption takes place. Is stomach acid required for absorption. I found the drug companies very helpful. I still avoid timed release RX, and have very few issues with medication absorption.
  • karmahealer
    karmahealer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined tonight :) I'm at the very beginning of figuring out what type of surgery will work the best for me, I am also bipolar and was glad to happen upon you're post. Something more to consider. Look forward to getting to being part of the group and am open to new friends to offer support too <3 feel free to add me.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome litenairee and karmahealer. I wish you both the best on your journey.