Deadlift help

Options
laura751
laura751 Posts: 11 Member
Hi there guys,

I'm now half way through stage 1 and just wanted to get some advice on deadlifts. I've been steadily increasing my weight each workout, but now I'm at a point where I'm not lifting that heavy (30kg + bar) but I'm finding it hard to hold my grip for the whole set.

I know that grip improves with time but for some reason it's really frustrating. I've also noticed that most other people seem to be able to deadlift more than they can squat - but I can squat 30kg + bar with much more ease than the deadlifts. Has anyone else found that they are the same?

I just can't see how I will be able to increase my weight much more without my stupid little hands giving way! D'oh! I've recently read some stuff about the mixed grip but that it can cause bicep injuries. I tried it for my last set today and I could hold the bar better but I'm worried about hurting myself - anyone else use this technique?

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What bar are you using? A 20kg bar is generally not great for women and those with small hands and it compromises grip. I can't use a 20kg bar when snatching because it causes my hand to cramp. Use a 15kg bar if you can as it will be easier to grip.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues, would like some answers!

People have suggested chalk, but I haven't looked into it. I do see people using it at my gym though
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i use gloves and that has helped with my grip, as well as with callouses that were developing on my palms. now if only i could get my husband to use gloves.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    try chalk or liquid chalk if your gym doesn't allow regular chalk and if that fails then use mixed grip

Farmers walks helps build grip strength
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree with tart. If you are not using gloves yet, start there. i learned about halfway through stage one that as I increased the weights, i needed gloves for a better grip and now i don't worry so much about the grip.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Building up callouses is actually very good for barbell work.

http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2010/12/callus-care-and-why-gloves-are-for-sissies/

Building up good callouses has decreased the sensitivity in my palms and has enabled me to lift heavier and for more reps and sets.

If you cant find a narrower barbell (15kg) chalk is very good.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have found that grip strength comes with time. I try to do Farmer's carries on a regular basis with the heaviest dumbbells I can carry, or with the 45 pound plates for as long as I can carry them. Grip strength is important for pretty much everything once you get going, but like everything else, it takes time to develop. Keep pushing and lifting as much as you can within the limits of your grip. It will get better.
  • laura751
    laura751 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I will keep perservering and try not to get too frustrated!
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Are you using a mixed grip?

I had to start doing that with deadlifts.

I deadlift and squat similar weights. I find my strongest lift is the hip thrust ... apparently, glutes are the strongest muscles in *my* body, by at least 30%. This finally helped me recognize why deadlifts and squats weren't hitting my posterior chain like I wanted ... maybe I'm too quad dominant?

I'm transforming that weak posterior chain! :)