Warming Up

Options
mdivamuffin
mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
Does everyone warm up the way he suggests in the book: by actually lifting weights that are 50%/75%/90% the weight of the weights you're going to lift? It seems so close to what you'll actually be doing that it'll be a waste of time. I was thnking that my 10 min cycle to the gym would be warm up enough. Sorry if this is a stoopid question but i'm a total beginner at this.

Replies

• BreMurie
    BreMurie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I actually don't warm up that way either, I do a ten minute warm up on the elliptical or treadmill.... because like you, I just feel doing that is redundant. Hopefully it has no dire effects on my progress.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing. i usually do the warm up routine on the exercise bike or something similar, just to get my heart pumping and in order to wake me up (my workouts are usually start around 5:15 AM).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    During New Rules of Lifting, I ran on the treadmill for a mile or so for my warm up.

I really like the Supercharged warm up because it's mostly dynamic stretching and is very effective.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I do jumping jacks :laugh:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Of all the exercises I've ever done, I hate jumping jacks the most! I have no idea why. :happy:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Of all the exercises I've ever done, I hate jumping jacks the most! I have no idea why. :happy:

I hate them too.. .but that might have a lot to do with my big boobs. :grumble:
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I did warm-ups with the big lifts instead of cardio. But only once I was lifting bigger amounts. I would do 95# and 135# for deadlifts and squats once I was around 150#. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to lift as much.

but if my numbers are lower (my rows are around 80#) I use an elliptical or treadmill or something. too tedious to do smaller amounts.
  • missimplicity
    missimplicity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Never have I ever used his warm up routine from the book (although I was thinking of doing it today). I do the treadmill for 10 minutes. He does explain that the main point is to warm up your body, so I think cardio is just fine, particularly if you're biking to the gym anyway. Good for you!
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i jog a mile on the treadmill most days. I would say that a bike ride is perfect warmup
  • suzmedder
    suzmedder Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this, was wondering the exact same thing, I'll head for the cross-trainer/elliptical before workouts then, rather than doing the lifting.....perfect!
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do 5-10 mins on the treadmill then I do the stretches and then yes, I do warm up for the first lifts they way they suggest. Its not just from these guys, its a standard warm up for weights. One, it prepares your body for following the range of motion. Two, by starting with the lighter weight it makes your work weight lighter and easier to work with.

For stage one on the squats I would do 8 reps bar. 4 reps at 30kgs, 4 reps at 35 kgs 4 reps at 37.5kgs and then working weight at 40kgs. It doesn't take that long to do, its also really necessary when your weights go up to warm your muscles up properly for the lifts.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Me to. I hate jumping jacks. They make everything jiggle, even if you have nothing jiggly lol
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I do five minutes of warm up - walking on an incline on the treadmill, or jump rope for five minutes. I d not stretch thereafter. I stretch after I am done with the workouts.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I do ten minutes on a bike, elliptical, or walk at an incline. Then yes, I do the warm-up lifts. At least for the deadlifts and squats. As siany01 says, it gets your muscles ready for work. And I use the lighter weight to remind myself of the proper form to use before adding the extra weight on.

I don't do the lunge warm-up thing that they suggest in the book though. And if I am lifting at the end of the day or if I have been up for a few hours I will skip the 10 minutes and just go straight into the lifting warm up.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not really. I do about 10 minutes on the bike, some dynamic stretches and then with squats and deadlifts I have do a short fast set with just the bar to warm me up.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did NROL once before and never did any of the lift warmups...usually just 10 minute run on treadmill and then started with the weight I was using. I wouldn't recommend it. It is very effective to "work your up to" the weight you're going to use....I found I could lift heavier when that particular muscle had been isolated. Now I will do a set of 10 at about 50%, then another set of 10 around 75%. Doesn't take much longer and like I said it helps me lift heavier...
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I warm up for 5 minutes on the elliptical...then jump into lifting.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I do the warm up routine from the book as that targets the correct muscles. I'll usually do a couple of 'dummy' reps with just the bar or a light weight, usually just so I can keep an eye on my form and get it right before taking on a heavier weight.