Food Diary

Options
CaveBrain
CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
Hey gang, would you mind taking a look at my diary and offer input on any issues that may hinder my weight loss progress? I’m not a fan of dairy, and I’m a type 2 diabetic, so I only eat low glycemic fruit (pitted fruit/berries are ideal). I haven’t weighed yet, but I know I’ve lost some pounds. I pretty much stick to the foods that I really like and don't change it up much, so I only log my food a few times per week. Also I don't exercise usually, but plan on picking that up starting with light hiking and a bike ride this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I took a look at a few of your days, and from my side I can't really say you're doing anything "wrong". Everything is in moderation and generally you have quite good food choices.

If you don't usually exercise, this could possibly be the key to some more weight loss. You may need to up your carb intake (because of the diabetes) if you're looking at implementing a serious training regimen. You can walk, sprint, jog, cycle, hike, swim or do many other activities that don't require a gym, but your intensity would determine your carb intake etc.

If you're part of a gym, some cardio and strength training combinations should help to drop a few more pounds.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hello. Your diet seems pretty good. However, since you are type 2 diabetic and have weight to lose, I would suggest going much lower in carbs and lowering fruit (sugar) substantially. Many people are fine eating higher carbs and lots of fruit, but to correct metabolic issues it helps to limit them for awhile (sometimes for a year or more). Berries are the best choice.

Also, consider homemade bone broths instead of commercial.

Have you considered changing your macros? Your fat setting is extremely low and even though you are going over (which you should!) it might be useful to increase it substantially. My macros are 75 fat, 20 protein, and 5 carb. Not everyone must do exactly what I am doing but it's useful for certain health issues. IMO, no one should be consuming less than 60% calories from fat.

I have metabolic disorders (and prevented type 2 diabetes just barely!) and I was ketogenic Primal for a year. The health improvements have been amazing. I am now on day 10 my first Whole30 (the only big change was eliminating diary) and am feeling even better!

Edit: I do not agree with the post above re: increasing carbs for type 2 diabetes, but look into it further and carefully experiment with what works best for you.
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I do plan on upping the exercise and know that it will be a major factor in losing weight! I'll also check out bone broth. Any tips on where to buy or how to make would be greatly appreciated!
    As far as the carbs go, I'm netting 30g, so I'm pretty low, almost at Atkins induction levels. The sugar is 26g, which is primarily from the peach and strawberries, but my BG levels have been at a normal level with this way of eating. I will likely replace the peach with apricots, which are lower in sugar and carbs, and maybe adding more berries too.

Thanks so much for the feedback!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I do plan on upping the exercise and know that it will be a major factor in losing weight! I'll also check out bone broth. Any tips on where to buy or how to make would be greatly appreciated!
    As far as the carbs go, I'm netting 30g, so I'm pretty low, almost at Atkins induction levels. The sugar is 26g, which is primarily from the peach and strawberries, but my BG levels have been at a normal level with this way of eating. I will likely replace the peach with apricots, which are lower in sugar and carbs, and maybe adding more berries too.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Bone broth must be made from scratch. It's very easy in a slowcooker. Google recipes. I have lots of Paleo recipe books but I like a hardcopy personally. Google Paleo recipes and there are loads. Every time I eat something with bones, I throw them in a bag, with others of the same, in the freezer. When I have a couple of pounds of bones, into the crockpot they go.

Mine is just bones, water, apple cider vinegar then cook on low for 24-48 hours. Some people put in veggies. Then strain it all after. I freeze it in jars (carefully with lid off until fully frozen-only 1 jar has ever broken on me).
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    Awesome thanks, I'll give it a try!
  • hollycreel
    hollycreel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @Akimajuktuq, do you know if it raises carbs if you boil vegis in the bone broth for flavor?
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    @Akimajuktuq, do you know if it raises carbs if you boil vegis in the bone broth for flavor?

If you stick with non starchy veges then you should be ok.

I use carrots, celery, onions, and some times I add bell peppers.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Adding veggies to a broth will not up the calories of the broth unless you are eating them.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hey gang, would you mind taking a look at my diary and offer input on any issues that may hinder my weight loss progress? I’m not a fan of dairy, and I’m a type 2 diabetic, so I only eat low glycemic fruit (pitted fruit/berries are ideal). I haven’t weighed yet, but I know I’ve lost some pounds. I pretty much stick to the foods that I really like and don't change it up much, so I only log my food a few times per week. Also I don't exercise usually, but plan on picking that up starting with light hiking and a bike ride this weekend.

Thanks in advance!
    I was wondering how come your calories are set so low?
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    @Anjelevil, I planned on upping them once I start exercising. I haven't calculated my TDEE and I'm sure it's higher than 1300.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are and what your weight is, but your calories do look really low. Depending on your size, that might really affect your ability to exercise. Otherwise, your eating pattern seems very healthy. Here's a website where you can calculate your total daily energy expenditure, and see if your eating is where you need it to be. Most folks who follow a TDEE approach and want to lose weight do TDEE minus 20%, or TDEE -15%:

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
  • CaveBrain
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are and what your weight is, but your calories do look really low. Depending on your size, that might really affect your ability to exercise. Otherwise, your eating pattern seems very healthy. Here's a website where you can calculate your total daily energy expenditure, and see if your eating is where you need it to be. Most folks who follow a TDEE approach and want to lose weight do TDEE minus 20%, or TDEE -15%:

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

I'm 5'5" and have about 65lbs to lose to get to a healthy weight. I honestly have a hard time getting all the cals in, I havent had much of an appetite lately. I can exercise, I just don't like going to a gym. I plan on doing outdoor fun stuff for now. Thanks for sharing the link, I'll check out my TDEE and will try to adjust accordingly!