breakfast?

Options
silvia32444
silvia32444 Posts: 26 Member
Hi! I'm starting tomorrow with jerk, so what do you eat for breakfast?
Can I have the usual coffee with milk, or milk is a NO! ?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Before you start you should read the reddit FAQ and Keto in a nutshell.
    If, after that, you still aren't sure if milk is OK, enter it into your MFP diary and see if it "fits" within your macro targets.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Milk is no on keto...
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is a good alt
  • silvia32444
    Options
    First....sorry about the "jerk "instead Keto, the cell trick me sometimes. I just saw. Every suggest is a big help, thank you all. Good idea the almond milk.
  • healthypenguin
    Options
    Take a muffin tin and spray it with oil. Line the insides with bacon so it makes a little cup, and crack an egg into each one. Bake them and you'll have cute adorable snacks that make breakfast easy. They reheat and the recipe is very versatile

http://twolovesstudio.com/2013/04/09/bacon-egg-cups-by-the-dozen/
  • thugstrife
    thugstrife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bacon, cream cheese pancakes (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html), low carb cereals or granolas, yogurt, cottage cheese, zucchini hash browns, breakfast meatballs, sausages. Within the egg category there are oodles of options: frittatas, crustless quiches, quick premade hardboiled eggs, omlettes with meat and vegetables, poached, Benedict, cheesy scrambled with chives.
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like just having Bulletproof Coffee -- coffee + grass-fed butter + MCT oil + stevia. There are lots of options so I recommend reading through the above-mentioned FAQ first. Eggs with butter and half an avocado is also good/easy.
  • hollycreel
    hollycreel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Is heavy whipping cream allowed on Keto? Sometimes I use that and mix it with eggs and nutmeg to make a keto eggnog for breakfast...
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    My understanding is you can do anything with keto so long as you remember the goal is to keep carbs around 20-30 g for the day. You can get those carbs from foods throughout the day or you can have them from just one source. Some things have insane amounts of carbs in them. The other day I was reading the label on a coffee sweetener; one pump had 40 g carbs, so that one pump of syrup in my coffee would have been more carbs than I eat in an entire day. But to each his/her own! Make keto work for you and choose to get your carbs from the sources *you* want. Personally, I think the healthiest source of carbs is green, non-starchy vegetables but I also need me some sweetness in my life, so I opt to get my carbs from kale/spinach/broccoli/etc. AND leaving some wiggle room for some carbs from chocolate. :)

(Someone else chime in if I'm wrong here about any of the above. I don't claim to be a keto expert. I've just been doing my own version of keto this year, and for me that is 20-30 g carbs // 100+ g fat // 50-80 g protein.)

Heavy cream is great because it's usually 0 g carbs and high fat around 12 g per TBSP. When you're doing low-low carb, you need to do high fat (healthy fats). Some folks don't do well with dairy, but most who have dairy issues do fine with butter and heavy whipping cream as these are processed differently so don't have lactose and whatnot that is found in milk. For example, I break out if I drink milk -- but I can tolerate butter, heavy cream, and a modest amount of cheese (as in one serving a day or every few days -- if I eat too much cheese, I stop losing weight, though).

Hope this helps!
  • Jasmine_James
    Options
    I guess I should rephrase to say there is some threshold for getting your body into ketosis and that amount of carbs is different for everyone. For me, I weigh 150-155 pounds right now and eat around 1300-1400 calories a day (I am not exercising, which is why this is low -- I also have a Jawbone, so I know that I'm actually not burning much more than around 1500 calories a day right now).

Rather than focus on the grams of carbs, you should look at the percentage and for keto it seems like the ideal is 10% carbs // 70-80% fat // 10-20% protein.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've posted this somewhere else but I use Pinterest as a cookbook for all of my Keto recipes -- you can check out mine but there are many others on top of what I have now.

One of the most difficult things for me on Keto is organising my recipes, I'm being INCREDIBLY inefficient right now by posting all newly found recipes to Pinterest, Evernote (so I can search my tags), and YumPrint.com (so I can easily view ingredients, instructions, and shopping lists).

Anyways, here's what I've got so far for:

Pinterest:
    http://goo.gl/QByOq6
    [Note: I only add recipes that I'm not only wiling to make, but actually look good. Many other users just add anything that falls into the Keto category]

Evernote:
    http://goo.gl/XgRJof
    [Note: Still working on this and figuring out the most appropriate tags]

YumPrint:
    http://goo.gl/c39VlR
  • silvia32444
    Options
    With Keto I can have what I love most in the morning : coffee with heavy cream, something in the past I never allowed myself !