Strength training recs?

Options
aspalmer3
aspalmer3 Posts: 28 Member
Hey Everyone! I'm (yes, again :tongue: ) looking for some recommendations. I''m currently following the intake numbers that SS and Sara have set up for me and seem to be meeting those fine. Hopefully this will help me start seeing that dreaded scale move again (in the RIGHT direction!).

I've lost 61 pounds in the last year and a half with a start weight of 265 and a current weight of 204. The pic below is start and now.

photo61_zps6dff2475.jpg

Getting to the point of the post...I lost all 61 pounds by running and spinning, so total cardio and no strength/weights. I have lots of loose skin (and whether you think its bad or not I'm not against surgery to have it removed, I just want to do all I can to work hard and do it myself BEFORE that option :smile: ), my legs are pretty solid from all the spinning (though I would like to see some definition) and I am only a little less than halfway to my goal (though that number is totally subjective in my mind, if that makes sense).

I can see that cardio is obviously not going to give me the look I want, and I'm ready to step out there and find a weight program that works for me. I am at a point where I will do whatever is suggested and run with it, pretty much no questions asked (I wouldn't be me if I didn't ask a few, LOL). My question is: where do I start? Are there any good programs out there?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am in for the responses from Sara and SS. I am looking for a few good programs as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ramble a bit because I'm having a hard time articulating my thoughts on this.

First off, there are a few programs that have all of the basic ingredients of a solid strength training program that I'd recommend for beginners:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts

The above are both full body programs typically done 3/week and you'll note that Stronglifts is basically a rip off of starting strength and it's done 5x5 instead of 3x5. Stronglifts may potentially be slightly better for hypertrophy than Starting Strength due to the added volume but both program will get you strong, fast. Starting Strength (the book) has a lot of valuable info that will extend into other programs (technique) and while I don't personally agree with Rippetoe (SS author) on everything, he absolutely has a lot to offer and I'd recommend checking out his book as well as his form videos on Youtube.

For a beginner program that is set up in a bit more of a hypertrophy rep range, I'd recommend All-Pros:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

This program will also get you strong but you'll be training in a rep range designed for muscular size a bit more-so than strength.

Now having mentioned these I do want to point out a few things.

You'll notice that the above programs are all full-body programs. They are all using a progression model that has you adding either weight, or repetitions, each week or each workout. They all use primarily compound movements such as the deadlift, the squat, the press, etc. And this is why these are good programs, generally speaking.

But finally, I do want to point out a few things that are worth mentioning even though the barbell crew might come after me with pitchforks:

While I do think these are fine programs, what ultimately matters is that:

a) You find a method of resistance training that provides adequate stimulus for you to progress in whatever metric you're looking to progress in (strength/hypertrophy/endurance/etc)
    b) You should ideally train your whole body.
    c) You should have a method to increase intensity over time so that you can continue to make progress. With barbells this basically means adding more weight to the bar (or reps, followed by weight).
    d) I firmly believe you should choose a mode of training that you either enjoy, or worst case scenario, the least objectionable activity. So for example if you try barbell training and you give it a legitimate shot, and you just hate it, then don't do it. There are other methods.

I'm only mentioning the above so that you don't think that you are limited to 3 programs. There are plenty of options -- the three I mentioned are good barbell programs and I'd recommend them if you decide to invest the time learning how to perform those movements properly. This IS a time investment, and there's also nothing wrong with doing some sort of DB or machine based program or a combination of the two using the above criteria.
  • aspalmer3
    Options
    I had looked at Stronglifts because I had seen it in the forums a couple of times but hadn't looked at SS. Is it crazy to want the knowledge from SS but use the Stronglifts program? I guess I'm asking if I could get totally confused looking at both?

I've worked very hard to get where I am and big weight and the barbell-type workout don't "scare" me, so I will be implementing this asap. One question I have: The Stronglifts website is geared towards men, meaning there arent any (that I could find, anyway) womens stories, etc. Do I keep everything the same as the mens rec and maybe just start with the barbell?

And dont worry about rambling...you read my original post right?? :happy:

Thanks again!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel gave you great advice. One more full body, three times a week workout is The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. I researched all four and decided on Starting Strength. Whatever you do, at the very least get ahold of a copy of the New Rules Book and Starting Strength and read them cover to cover. You'll get a much better knowledge base that way and learn not only how to do those compound lifts, but WHY you want to do them.

I'm probably going to switch to the AllPros system in a few more weeks because I think the rep range (8-12) might be slightly better for my long term goals than the 5 reps of the SS program. Good luck to you.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In for the thread and great advice, as my question was very similar to this a few days ago and I am still trying to decide what to do.

OP, your weight loss looks amazing! And your weight loss has made you look younger! Great job! I am sure you will do fabulously with whatever you go with.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nice to see other women wanting to weight train. Too many women tracking house cleaning as exercise calories.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nice to see other women wanting to weight train. Too many women tracking house cleaning as exercise calories.

Lol. I worked my *kitten* off one weekend cleaning the house from top to bottom, and would do jumping jacks and running in place now and then to keep my heart rate up. I wore my hrm, thinking I'd get this awesome burn. I had a very clean house by the end of th day, but not a very efficient burn for my "workout". That ended counting housework as exercise. Lol. I am pretty excited to get started lifting weights... just trying to figure out what I need and if I can do this at home, with perhaps my DH spotting me when needed, or if I need to find a trainer and a gym with better weight equipment. I would prefer to do it at home...
  • aspalmer3
    Options
    In for the thread and great advice, as my question was very similar to this a few days ago and I am still trying to decide what to do.

OP, your weight loss looks amazing! And your weight loss has made you look younger! Great job! I am sure you will do fabulously with whatever you go with.

Thanks so much!! I feel great but I am definitely ready to get the rest off! Let me know what you decide to do :smile:
  • aspalmer3
    Options

Lol. I worked my *kitten* off one weekend cleaning the house from top to bottom, and would do jumping jacks and running in place now and then to keep my heart rate up. I wore my hrm, thinking I'd get this awesome burn. I had a very clean house by the end of th day, but not a very efficient burn for my "workout". That ended counting housework as exercise. Lol. I am pretty excited to get started lifting weights... just trying to figure out what I need and if I can do this at home, with perhaps my DH spotting me when needed, or if I need to find a trainer and a gym with better weight equipment. I would prefer to do it at home...

I never even thought about counting cleaning as exercise...if that worked id be a toothpick right now lol.

My problem is that I WANT to do it at the gym but all the women at my gym treat the weights section like the firey furnance. Guess those guys better get used to me because I'm movin on in!!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the pretty pink weights. lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I had looked at Stronglifts because I had seen it in the forums a couple of times but hadn't looked at SS. Is it crazy to want the knowledge from SS but use the Stronglifts program? I guess I'm asking if I could get totally confused looking at both?

I've worked very hard to get where I am and big weight and the barbell-type workout don't "scare" me, so I will be implementing this asap. One question I have: The Stronglifts website is geared towards men, meaning there arent any (that I could find, anyway) womens stories, etc. Do I keep everything the same as the mens rec and maybe just start with the barbell?

And dont worry about rambling...you read my original post right?? :happy:

Thanks again!

Not at all crazy. In fact I think it a very good idea. SS has an excellent write up on the why's and how's but the higher volume for SL makes it a better option in many cases. I do not think you will get confused. You can ignore the power clean in SS as it is not used in SL.

Re SL and women - I would join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    aww Sara great recommendation!

yes, come over and join us! we don't bite :)
  • aspalmer3
    Options
    aww Sara great recommendation!

yes, come over and join us! we don't bite :)

Just joined! So far no bite marks, LOL!!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    OP,great pics. You look awesome!
  • aspalmer3
    Options
    OP,great pics. You look awesome!

Thank you!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Sidesteel gave you great advice. One more full body, three times a week workout is The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler. I researched all four and decided on Starting Strength. Whatever you do, at the very least get ahold of a copy of the New Rules Book and Starting Strength and read them cover to cover. You'll get a much better knowledge base that way and learn not only how to do those compound lifts, but WHY you want to do them.

I'm probably going to switch to the AllPros system in a few more weeks because I think the rep range (8-12) might be slightly better for my long term goals than the 5 reps of the SS program. Good luck to you.

Starting Strength added about 50lbs to my max deadlift in one reading. Lesson: Form matters. A LOT.

Good luck with your program!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads better. If you have further questions, please PM me, and include a link to this thread and I will unlock so you can pose them
This discussion has been closed.