HELLO FROM A NEW MEMBER

Options
Hello,
my name is Annamaria just joined today.....i am on peri menopausal, not had a period since last November.....4 days ago i started HRT I am on Premique 5mg daily......I am a bit worried about the side effects and also was reading somewhere that HRT surpresses the menopause and that when you finish the symptoms all come back?. I am REALLY struggling with severe BRAIN FOG the hot flushes while not bad at moment are starting to get worse and my mood swings are just god awful i hung on for months before finally going to the doctor and getting HRT prescribed.....have I done the right thing?

Annamaria

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    welcome!,anyone can add me!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome!:smile: I didn't have the mood swings, but I have hot flashes. I decided against HRT, because the periods and cramping came back. It's an individual decision really. Good luck!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Yes. You did the right thing. I don't understand why anyone would choose to suffer when HRT is safe and effective. It isn't forever and while it is true it just suppresses your symptoms - your symptoms are not forever. They change over time.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Only you can decide if traditional HRT is right for you. But as others have said, it's not a forever decision. You can always modify if this isn't what works for you.
  • lindaj5252
    Options
    :smile: I use black Cohash, it is an herb that you can find at Whole Foods. It really helps with the hot flashes. Hope this helps.
  • issypops
    issypops Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome

I'm not on HRT, I've been advised against it as I have bad menstrual migraines. I'm hoping that a clean diet and plenty of exercise might help, but it's very hit and miss and to date has only had limited impact on my symptoms. I know a lot of people have had some really positive results with HRT, so I hope it does the trick for you. As others have said it's not permanent so if it doesn't suit you can try another type or stop taking it.
    Angela
  • cthompson555
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 52 yrs. old and had a hysterectomy when I was 39, leaving my ovaries intact. I have tried a plant based prescription hormone, at a low dose, in the early years of peri-menopause, when I was having a lot of vaginal dryness. It was fairly successful for a time and I eventually stopped taking it. Around 2-3 years ago I started having severe hot flashes, headaches, brain fog, and irritability. The hot flashes were the worst. I tried the estrogen ring but could not use it as it was uncomfortable. My MD started me on an implant, which initially my insurance said it would cover. This was wonderful but the insurance decided they would not cover it and it was several hundred dollars. I tried injections next and had a great decrease in h/a's and irritability, some decrease in the brain fog and hot flashes. I did this for around a year and have stopped after worrying over the benefits vs. risks. I have since been using estrogen cream, which isn't absorbed systemically. The vaginal thinness has improved and I have not had any UTI's since using this with an antibiotic I also take after I have intercourse. I would welcome any advice anyone has also, as to natural products/homeopathic products to try for other symptoms (hot flashes, brain fog).
    Thanks,
    Cathy
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    Welcome!!! I am trying to post more in here! From what I am learning, everyone has a different way of HRT. I just seen a Doctor after all my natural stuff(it was not working) so I started Progesterone Pills, DHEA and Estrogen Creme!!!! I am sooooooo tired!!! Hugs !