Can men and women be just friends? (Super long)

Options
I have a friend that I met a little over a year ago. In fact shortly after I decided to get a divorce and moved to another city with my kids. I went camping with some family members and some friends and that is how I met him. He was a coworker of my brothers. Very nice guy, but I had no attraction to him what so ever. But all in all he was a very fun and nice guy to be around. A week or so later I got a text from him (my brother gave him my phone number). He was just seeing how I was doing and how my job search was going. It was very nice and we chatted some. He eventually asked if I would like to go to the movies with him. I told him that was very nice but I didn’t have the money to go. Of course he offered to pay. I made it clear that it would be just as friends and he said “of course”. I was hesitant to go because I didn’t want to give him the wrong impression. My mother told me to go that it would be fun and I needed to get out. So I did. We had a nice time. Soon after that my step mother told me that he said we were “dating.” I freaked out and texted him and said that I didn’t appreciate what he did and that we could be acquaintances and that was about it. He was adamant that is not what he said, but I didn’t feel comfortable so I asked him to not text me anymore. He obliged. So we were out of contact for a few months, but became friends again later. I don’t remember why or how we reconnected, but he explained to me that he never said that to my step mother, just that we had gone to a movie and she took it out of context. I explained to him that we would only ever be friends, my brother explained it to him that we would only ever be friends and I explained it to him again that we would only ever be friends.

Fast forward to this summer…..He asked me to be on his horseshoe league (I am terrible, but it seemed fun) so I did and we always had a great time, throwing, then drinks, and usually dancing and karaoke. He has invited me out a few times just to have a couple drinks and hang out. I usually do if I don’t have my kiddos and it is always fun. I always feel safe with him and don’t have to worry about anything bad happening. One night however, I was talking to a guy at a bar and I wasn’t ready to go yet. He was and ended up leaving me there. My fault I should have left with my ride. But I get a text later from him saying that it doesn’t bother him anymore and he now knew what my brother was warning him about and that I am gonna do what I am gonna do and blah blah blah. Anyway we made up and said sorry because we are good friends. I invited him to an event this coming weekend. I purchased a VIP table at a local fighting event and needed to fill the seats, and invited him and several other people. Last night I get a text at 1:00 am that said “I might be bagging, will let you know for sure” Of course this is two days before the event and I was freaking out. Turns out he is still going, but just told me he was having a moment last night was all. Now what does that mean? He was having a moment? I guess I am under the impression that he still has hopes that we could be just more than friends? Even though it has been explained, over and over again. I guess my question is can men and women really just be friends? I don’t want to lose our friendship, but I can’t handle this feeling of guilt or his apparent jealousy. Now of course I have no idea why he thought he couldn’t attend the event, maybe I am reading too much into it, and he reasoning had absolutely nothing to do with me, but it is just the vibe I am getting.

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I will preface my statement by saying I have alot of male friends so yes I believe men and women can just be friends....

Now with that being said THIS guy and you will never be just friends. He LIKES you and is crushing on you. It sounds like he is playing the white knight or "nice guy". He is hanging with you in the hopes that one day you will open you eyes and arms and fall into him.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I have a lot of guy friends so yes it can happen. This guy however sounds like Jacob from Twilight, the way he was with Bella. Bad reference I know but reminded me completely. I think you need to tell him again that you guys are only ever going to be friends and you can't handle the jealousy and the attitude he gives you, so if he wants to continue the friendship as you do, he needs to get that in check or you're out.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I will preface my statement by saying I have alot of male friends so yes I believe men and women can just be friends....

Now with that being said THIS guy and you will never be just friends. He LIKES you and is crushing on you. It sounds like he is playing the white knight or "nice guy". He is hanging with you in the hopes that one day you will open you eyes and arms and fall into him.

I agree.

I think it's very hard for men and women to be friends one on one as I've usually seen one usually starts liking the other...which is perfectly normal as we typically grow to like people. When you first met your friends now its typically not "we just met and we are going to be best friends!" You start seeing that person and realize you like them a lot. Same with crushes. It's not surprising that crushes between friends happens. The problem is when: the guy decides to step up his game (NiceGuyTM) and pull out all the stops to hope you crush back and jump on his d!ck...or when the girl decides "hey we can be FWB and suddenly he'll realize that I'm the one for him."

If you develop a crush on a friend or vice versa the person should tell the other so there's none of that NiceGuy/FWB mess going on.

A group dynamic is much different. In college my girlfriends and I were friends with a group of guys which was awesome for a couple of years ( until one of the guys started to crush on me).
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Yes they can.

but this guy is not your friend and never has been. Friends don't want to bend you over a table and *kitten* your brains out. This guy is a manipulative creep, and honestly you knew all along what was going on. You need to stop spending time with him because at this point you're just using each other.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a unique perspective on this. I had a guy friend that from Day 1, told me he was going to marry me. I would always say things like "Thank you but I don't love you like that". We were friends for over 10 years while this was going on. I was always totally honest with him. I never allowed any cuddling or hand holding or anything he could misunderstand as affection. Then he got married and thanked me for always saying no. Ultimately, there are situations where one person may want more but it takes 2 so if you're honest in not only what you day but also what you do then I don't see a problem. I managed it for a long time and I'm still great friends with him today (22 years after we met).
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I am an aquarius and i befriend everyone. I have no problems just being friends with someone, it's pretty much a prerequisite for me. If we aren't friends i'm going to have a hard time dating you. if i say " we are just friends" that's never going to change. we will always be " just friends." i can also date someone and then no longer date them and have no problem staying friends.

so, in my opinion, yes.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes they can.

but this guy is not your friend and never has been. Friends don't want to bend you over a table and *kitten* your brains out. This guy is a manipulative creep, and honestly you knew all along what was going on. You need to stop spending time with him because at this point you're just using each other.

I fail to see how we are using each other and have made my intentions very clear from the start, but thank you for your input.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Options

So are you saying that it will always be a continuation of jealousy on his part no matter how many times I reiterate my standings on our relationship?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

So are you saying that it will always be a continuation of jealousy on his part no matter how many times I reiterate my standings on our relationship?

yes
  • christine24t
    Options

You can tell someone a million times "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" and they still will like you. Your feelings will not always change theirs, ya dig?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Yes they can.

I fail to see how we are using each other and have made my intentions very clear from the start, but thank you for your input.

he is using you by sticking around in the hopes you'll eventually "see the light" and end up with him. He doesn't care about your friendship, he doesn't care that you aren't interested - which means he doesn't really respect you as a person. He likes you for the fantasy he has in his mind.

you are using him because you clearly see what his feelings are and you don't care enough about his feelings to stop stringing him along. You hide behind the "but I told him we're just friends" despite him CLEARLY disregarding and holding out hope. He has made his feelings clear multiple times and yet you continue to give him hope by reaching out.

hence, you are using each other.

this doesn't mean either of you is a bad person. I'm sure you're both very good, normal, people that are just going about your lives and justifying your actions to yourselves and others. I'm also willing to bet you aren't going to take any of this seriously and just give me another dismissal because deep down, you know its true. I didn't even need to clarify, which is probably why you wrote me off before instead of asking for clarification.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You can tell someone a million times "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" and they still will like you. Your feelings will not always change theirs, ya dig?

pretty much this . .I, as "a Guy", can agree to this . .if I do find you attractive, it's in the back of my mind that if we are friends then there is a chance (even if a small one) that we could hook up. . .some relationship start off as friends and grow into more. . .how many is probably more important. . .probably a better chance if he played the lottery tho. . .but men and women can be platonic friends if you they don't find each other attractive
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, men and women can be friends. My best friend of 25 years is male.

However, there is a fine line between friendship and relationship and that's only sex. This guy is hoping you cross over at some point.

That in itself wouldnt bother me, but he's being dramatic and playing games. Therefore, I dont think it's possible between you two as he has an ulterior motive.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Options
    Yes they can.

he is using you by sticking around in the hopes you'll eventually "see the light" and end up with him. He doesn't care about your friendship, he doesn't care that you aren't interested - which means he doesn't really respect you as a person. He likes you for the fantasy he has in his mind.

you are using him because you clearly see what his feelings are and you don't care enough about his feelings to stop stringing him along. You hide behind the "but I told him we're just friends" despite him CLEARLY disregarding and holding out hope. He has made his feelings clear multiple times and yet you continue to give him hope by reaching out.

hence, you are using each other.

this doesn't mean either of you is a bad person. I'm sure you're both very good, normal, people that are just going about your lives and justifying your actions to yourselves and others. I'm also willing to bet you aren't going to take any of this seriously and just give me another dismissal because deep down, you know its true. I didn't even need to clarify, which is probably why you wrote me off before instead of asking for clarification.

No you have some very good advice here, I guess I just see things differently than you do is all. I have never strung him along, like I said he is a great guy and we have fun together. We also have several mutual friends and are always in each others company one way or another, so its not like I can just say "Hey, we can't be friends anymore because you have feelings for me and I can't return them." I have told him we can't be more than friends, and have said if you can't just been my friend then we can't be anything. He told me he would rather be friends then nothing at all. We have never been romantic or acted romantic in any sense of the term. I have never lead him to believe we could be more. I guess it just makes me sad to think about losing him as a friend. I guess I don't know what else to say to him.
  • christine24t
    Options
    its not like I can just say "Hey, we can't be friends anymore because you have feelings for me and I can't return them." I have told him we can't be more than friends, and have said if you can't just been my friend then we can't be anything. He told me he would rather be friends then nothing at all. We have never been romantic or acted romantic in any sense of the term.

You may have to though, for him to move on.

It's kind of fun to have a guy like you even if you don't like him back. I'm probably guilty of the same thing - it's fun to have someone dote on you, and know that they think about you even if you don't like them back. The attention is a little fun. Like me, you're probably not doing it consciously (at first I wasn't, then someone told me and it was like holy crap they're right!).

But after a while, it just gets cruel. You have to think about it from his perspective.When you tell him no but still continue to want to do things with him, it gives a mixed message. "She says she doesn't like me but she still seems like she does." And then it leads to more awkwardness and more revealing of feelings. He would rather stay friends because he doesn't want to lose you, his crush. For his sake, I would cut back the friendship...this means more group activities, less one on one time, etc. You don't have to be mean and just never talk to him again but distance yourself from him.
  • azhcanedition
    azhcanedition Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, friends.

Now, when there's an attraction on one side...

It depends on how well a person can handle attraction.

If they can't handle it, then either they need to realize it and walk away or be told to walk away.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yes they can be just friends. In the OP's case, it doesn't sound like it though. Sounds like he is still clinging on to hope that you will change your mind.

Christine hit it on the head too:
    It's kind of fun to have a guy like you even if you don't like him back. I'm probably guilty of the same thing - it's fun to have someone dote on you, and know that they think about you even if you don't like them back. The attention is a little fun. Like me, you're probably not doing it consciously (at first I wasn't, then someone told me and it was like holy crap they're right!).

But after a while, it just gets cruel. You have to think about it from his perspective.When you tell him no but still continue to want to do things with him, it gives a mixed message. "She says she doesn't like me but she still seems like she does." And then it leads to more awkwardness and more revealing of feelings. He would rather stay friends because he doesn't want to lose you, his crush. For his sake, I would cut back the friendship...this means more group activities, less one on one time, etc. You don't have to be mean and just never talk to him again but distance yourself from him.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes, friends.

Now, when there's an attraction on one side...

It depends on how well a person can handle attraction.

If they can't handle it, then either they need to realize it and walk away or be told to walk away.

^^^THIS.

I have personally experienced this and it can be painful for the person that has the attraction. I also agree with Christine when she said it ends up being cruel to let them keep hoping. Sometimes no matter how good of friends you are (or were or want to be) you just have to walk away because it's best. In my experience sometimes amends can be made later after that person has had time to get over the feelings and has moved on with someone else.

I also have been able to continue to be friends with guys I have dated but that was a mutual agreement that although we both really cared for each other it was best that we were just friends and nothing more.
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    a man should be clear with his intentions, if he intend to date you, he should be honest about it and not presume you will fall into a dating routine if he agrees that you only want to be friends and go out as just friends.

As a man, I can say I have done it myself when I was abit younger, he would have hoped you would see his qualities on the times you hung out enough to consider him as a romantic interest.

Men and women can be friends I have many female friends who I have no romantic interest in at all and vice versa
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have several male friends. We are not a good romantic fit, and they are the guys I turn to when I have "guy questions." They might be attractive, powerful, and everything that makes me swoon but if I can't see us as a team, then I don't struggle with wishing we were more.

That said, I do not remain friends with guys who are crushing on me and don't "get over it" quickly because you can tell them all day long that you are not interested in "that way" but as long as you are around they feel like they still have a chance. "After all," their subconscious reasons, "if she didn't truly want me deep down inside she wouldn't still hang out with me. We're so perfect and one day she's gonna wake up and realize it."

This is also why I stay away from "guy friends" who aren't interested in me...I stay away until i can be around them and not have feelings. I have lost some friendships that way (for guys it took a long time to get over) but I would never have gotten over them with that scent in my nostrils if ya know what I mean.