Unspoken Rules Of Running

ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk. What would you add to the list?
http://www.hmcpresscenter.com/featured/the-unspoken-rules-of-running/

Replies

• degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    that is the biggest one... many trails have lines now, and people with their dogs or strollers will take up both sides.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk.

I found that some of the older walkers don't hear so well and you have announce yourself very loudly. I scared some old lady the other day when I came up behind her and said "On your left". I thought she was going to have a heart attack. :frown:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk.

I found that some of the older walkers don't hear so well and you have announce yourself very loudly. I scared some old lady the other day when I came up behind her and said "On your left". I thought she was going to have a heart attack. :frown:

Not just the older ones........ I came up behind a younger walker the other day who was so engrossed in her smartphone (texting or whatever) I thought she was going to crap herself when I said "on your left"! :laugh: :laugh:
  • ZenInTexas
    I almost got run over the other day by a girl on a bicycle, on the sidewalk, listening to headphones and texting!! No joke, I had to yell at her to get her attention.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115 Member
    I wish our trails had that sign up! Luckily I run on some pretty quiet roads/trails as of late and don't have to deal with much of it. I stopped running with headphones because I just find it safer to do so, that should maybe be a rule on certain trails as well depending on the terrain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Be careful where you spit/blow snot rockets - at least do a courteous 6-o-clock check. Same with farting.

The fast looking people are probably slow, and the slow looking people are probably fast

Don't be running with jingly crap in your pockets - it's annoying

Don't lie about PRs (looking at you, Paul Ryan)

Leave the perfume/cologne at home
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96 Member
    2 of my pet peeves are runners with headphones blasting loud and oblivious to their surroundings. The other is the groups or even just 2 people hogging the whole trail.

To the guy with music blairing in his ears so loud he cant hear anything else and runs in the middle of a 5 foot wide trail, i say this is not your private trail where your pace is the perfect pace for everyone. Stay right at least!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Be careful where you spit/blow snot rockets - at least do a courteous 6-o-clock check. Same with farting.

Ha!! QFT!
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    I run early ams before the sun comes up but it's along a trail that backs up to a main road so there's usually some kind of ambient light from streetlights or businesses or sum such. It NEVER fails that a bicyclist heading towards me will have those flashing headlights and/or a headlamp with what feels like 150 lumen right in my retinas.

Walkers not moving over when someone is coming either up or back.
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    To the guy with music blairing in his ears so loud he cant hear anything else and runs in the middle of a 5 foot wide trail, i say this is not your private trail where your pace is the perfect pace for everyone. Stay right at least!
    [/quote]

This past weekend, as I'm doing hills some guy on a bicycle passes me on the uphill so he can get to the top to find a signal for his phone. That wasn't the bad part - he stopped at the top of the hill right in my path so I literally had to run around him while he's trying to find a signal. I had to do that not once but twice :mad:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I always like when I yell "On your left" and they then move to their left and then get defensive when I correct them.
  • ZenInTexas

This gave me some serious lol's.
  • TheBrolympus
    Leave the perfume/cologne at home

There is a house near the trail I run that has to use a entire box of fabric softeners in the drier when they do laundry. On more than on occasion, I have run by and the smell downy is SO strong it gags me. It is unbelievable!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member

Ditto!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member

That reminds me of a trail race I ran last weekend. There was a guy not far in front of me and he came up behind a woman running on the left wearing headphones. (There was plenty of room to pass on the right if we wanted) He politely said "On your left!" but nothing happened. Then a little louder "On Your Left!" Nothing. Almost screaming now "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!" Nothing. Finally "OOOOON YOOOOUUUR LEEEEEFT!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs and just a couple of inches behind her head. She jumped a little and moved to the right. I laughed about that the rest of the race.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    How about if you're driving don't honk at a runner. Not only is it gross and sketchy, but it scares the crap out of me and I end up sprawled out on the road. Ugh.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member

Bwhahahaha! These two slayed me. Seriously.

I wish people would be a little more friendly when running - sometimes I'll pass someone who makes a point of not acknowledging me at all... like a foot or less away! I try to wave, say hi, good morning, good afternoon, give a little wave if I'm just DYING... but I guess that's pretty minor in comparison to some of the other more serious infractions listed here.
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    How about if you're driving don't honk at a runner. Not only is it gross and sketchy, but it scares the crap out of me and I end up sprawled out on the road. Ugh.

Definitely this!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    For me, its those walkers chatting and blocking the path. So annoying its hard enough already to run without having to negotiate that too.
  • ZenInTexas

Good list. I agree with all of them except the running without a shirt. It's about eleventy billion degrees where I live and so if people want to run in next to nothing I think that's fine. It's more comfortable than a soaked shirt.

• Good list. I agree with all of them except the running without a shirt. It's about eleventy billion degrees where I live and so if people want to run in next to nothing I think that's fine. It's more comfortable than a soaked shirt.

Ha yes, this article is of UK origin so we don't have the heat problem here :-)
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member

Good list. I agree with all of them except the running without a shirt. It's about eleventy billion degrees where I live and so if people want to run in next to nothing I think that's fine. It's more comfortable than a soaked shirt.

Ha yes, this article is of UK origin so we don't have the heat problem here :-)

You must live in the north of Scotland then, been really hot recently "darn sarf"!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member

I wish people would be a little more friendly when running - sometimes I'll pass someone who makes a point of not acknowledging me at all... like a foot or less away! I try to wave, say hi, good morning, good afternoon, give a little wave if I'm just DYING... but I guess that's pretty minor in comparison to some of the other more serious infractions listed here.
    Funny story - but if the snot rockets give you willies you might want to move on...

I was in Chicago on business and got up early and went running on the lake front trail two mornings. On the first run, people nodded or waved, made eye contact and seemed generally friendly. On the second run, it was quite the opposite; people seemed to be purposefully avoiding eye contact and gave me a wide berth. I thought it was very odd until I got back to the hotel. One of my snot rockets had not cleared the launch area very well and a particularly large and bloody load was mixed with sweat on the front of my shirt. It looked like I had butchered a small animal. I probably looked like a psycho...
  • ZenInTexas

Funny story - but if the snot rockets give you willies you might want to move on...

I was in Chicago on business and got up early and went running on the lake front trail two mornings. On the first run, people nodded or waved, made eye contact and seemed generally friendly. On the second run, it was quite the opposite; people seemed to be purposefully avoiding eye contact and gave me a wide berth. I thought it was very odd until I got back to the hotel. One of my snot rockets had not cleared the launch area very well and a particularly large and bloody load was mixed with sweat on the front of my shirt. It looked like I had butchered a small animal. I probably looked like a psycho...

That story totally cracked me up!
  • TheBrolympus
    you've got a fly stuck in your backhair.

This is the reason I don't run without a shirt. Stupid flies ruin everything! :laugh:
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96 Member
    I dont run without a shirt because I don't even want to see that so I am sure nobody else does either.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I never have understood the line of reasoning for running without a shirt because of heat. Even in high humidity, my sweat soaked light colored T shirt feels cooler to me than having the sun beat down on my shoulders.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If the weather is permitting, you won't catch me running with a shirt on. It's just one more annoyance and one more thing to need to wash.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    If the weather is permitting, you won't catch me running with a shirt on. It's just one more annoyance and one more thing to need to wash.

Amen brother.