Snack/Small Meal Ideas

Options
19jam85
19jam85 Posts: 17 Member
Hi everyone

Keen to know what people eat for snacks etc during the day?
Particularly those that have to prepare their meals before going to work?

Good work lunch ideas that keep you full and satisfied.

Thanks J x

Replies

• 19jam85
    Options
    Date Truffle Balls

270gm Pitted Dates
    50gm Desiccated Coconut
    100gm Ground Almond Meal
    2 Tbspn Dry Cocoa Powder

In a separate bowl, cover dates with hot water.
    In the other bowl add almond meal, cocoa powder and 25gm of the coconut (save the remainder for rolling)

Wait until dates have swollen and softened.

Once dates are soft, drain from water (reserving it) blend dates in a blender - removing at piff/hard bits from the date if they still remain.
    Once nicely pureed, add dry ingredients slowly (I usually do this by hand) until well mixed. Use some of the water here if mixture is too dry.

Roll into balls, roll in coconut and refrigerate.

Calories Per Serve 74
    Carbs 7
    Fat 5
    Protein 2
    Sodium 2
    (Based on making 20 balls - add this recipe to your recipes and adjust the per person serve dependent on how big you make the balls etc)

These honestly can pass for real chocolate truffles, without the added butter or sugar.

Ideal for when you need a sweet pick me up.
  • 19jam85
    Options
    Another idea for a sweet treat for dessert. A bit higher in Cals that I would prefer, but possibly recipe could be adjusted (not so much sugar?)

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2010/september/cinnamon-and-banana-pikelets

Cal/s per serve = 232 (for 2 pikelets)

I am thinking of making these tonight.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love healthyfood.co.nz recipes too! Tonight I plan to make the chocolate brownie (low in sugar with an apple base) for our visitors tomorrow.
    To answer your question on snack ideas for work thou... the best thing you can do to stay full is make sure you include a good amount of protein. Im not sure what resources you have available at work ie toaster but one of my fav's is 2 pieces of wholegrain toast with tuna and a few thin slices of cheese. A lower cal option would be tuna on corn thins or cruskits. Nuts are a good option for protein on the go too, they can be high in calories thou so watch portion size. Eggs are another good high protein food, maybe boil some the night before and put them on toast the following day, presuming you have a fridge. Always tried to add some veges in there too if you can.
    A nice sweet dessert - freeze a banana, cut it into pieces then blend it will make a banana sorbet. Add a little cinnamon if needed.
  • 19jam85
    Options
    Yes protein is the key, I try and consume protein at lunch and always dinner.
    Usually porridge in the morning for me as it fills me up until morning tea/snack time around 10 - 11am. I dont stop for breaks at work anymore apart from lunch as I have a massive work load, which makes me not think about food.

We have all the mod coms :)

Thanks for the ideas. I am always thinking eggs, but know that its recommended you only eat two yolks a week, something that I was told. I love tuna, so on cruskits or corn thins is a good idea.

I try and add veges in somehow, but its hard for snacks haha.