Half Marathon Training and Lifting

Options
knk1553
knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
Ok, so Ive decided to take the plunge to cross something off my fitness bucket list in November, and thats a half marathon (other items are full marathon, triathlon and competing in either a bikini or figure comp). However, something I'm struggling with is finding a balance of weight lifting and running. Before starting the training lifting was my primary focus with light cardio during the week, however now I know running is going to become my main focus with lifting added in. I know I can keep my upper body lifts mainly the same, however previously my leg days kept me pretty sore, and I want to ensure that I'm not too sore for my long runs on saturdays or for my runs during the week....

Ultimately, anyone have any suggestions on a good balance between the two? Or anyone who has done both?

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When I am not training for a race, I lift 3 days a week and run only twice a week. I also do one high intensity cardio workout a week (HIIT, Sprints, etc.).

However, when I am training, I lift only 2 times a week and run 3 to 4 times a week with 1 long run. Also, I do a lower body lift every other week. Trust me; you will be working your legs enough with the amount of miles you will (should) be recording every week.

I would suggest you take a look at Hal Higdon's training schedules. http://www.halhigdon.com/

Some of his schedules factor in strength training. Take a look at a few of them and try to integrate it into your own routine.

Here's an example of mine:

Mon: Upper Body lift

Tues: Short run (3-5 miles at an easy pace)

Wed: Speed Run (3-4 miles at a race pace. I also do track interval workouts some week such as 400 m and 800 m "sprints")

Thurs: Upper body / lower body alternate lift (switch every week)

Fri: Off / Stretch

Sat: Long Run (Try to increase by a mile every week. Follow Higdon's progressions)

Sun: Cross Train (This can be another run if you want, but can also be biking, swimming, or whatever you like. It should be a long, yet low intensity workout)
  • knk1553
    Options
    I'm already using one of Hal Higdon's programs, The Beginner 2, I didn't like how the beginner 1 program was set up even though it does factor in strength training 1-2 days a week. The program is pretty much short runs tues-thurs, rest mon & fri, long run sat and crosstrain sun. I'm considering Yoga on friday's just because I tend to get pretty tight when I run a lot and I sit for 8 hours a day at work, and using monday as a true rest day. However, I would love to incorporate in weight lifting on tues-thurs as well, I just hate to keep it entirely upper body, even though I'm well aware my legs are getting a workout on my runs. I think I'm having a hard time parting from the weights...and legs way always my favorite day.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I've done both and doing a third in October. 8 weeks out I will probably go back to a push/pull split. No matter what I will not cut my leg routines out as I did for my first and I feel it factored into my IT injury. Running is not a substitute leg workout for lifting. It's a struggle balancing the two but it can be done. For your first 1/2, focus on completing not time goals etc. Lots of stretching, foam rolling is high priority too.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm already using one of Hal Higdon's programs, The Beginner 2, I didn't like how the beginner 1 program was set up even though it does factor in strength training 1-2 days a week. The program is pretty much short runs tues-thurs, rest mon & fri, long run sat and crosstrain sun. I'm considering Yoga on friday's just because I tend to get pretty tight when I run a lot and I sit for 8 hours a day at work, and using monday as a true rest day. However, I would love to incorporate in weight lifting on tues-thurs as well, I just hate to keep it entirely upper body, even though I'm well aware my legs are getting a workout on my runs. I think I'm having a hard time parting from the weights...and legs way always my favorite day.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean about trying to fit lifting in. However, I think it's important to realize that you are training for a specific event. Don't get me wrong, lifting will help your running performance quite a bit, but 90% of your performance is going to be developed during your running training. I suggest starting out with just 2 days of lifting a week. One day of upper and one day of lower. Do a lighter workout (i.e. cross training) or yoga the day after your lower workout. It sounds like you are a hard worker, but remember that over-training can set you back, so definitely find a balance.

Maybe do a schedule like this:
    Mon: Rest
    Tues: Upper + 3-4 m Run
    Wed: Race Pace Run
    Thurs: Lower
    Friday: Yoga
    Sat: Long Run
    Sun: Cross
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Can't say I've done it well, but I've done it. My training schedule last fall/winter...

Mon - spin
    Tue - legs, hill intervals on the treadmill or 3-6 mile run depending on weather and daylight
    Wed - rest (sometimes Tue and Wed are switched due to weather, scheduling, etc)
    Thur - back/chest, soccer
    Fri - speedwork and plyometrics
    Sat - short easy run, arms/shoulders/abs
    Sun - long run

Probably entirely unorthodox and would be picked apart by both the serious lifters and serious runners. But I'm just not willing to give up anything and ultimately it makes me happy so I stick with it.
  • knk1553
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedback!

My focus for my first one is to just run the entire thing under the 3 hour limit, which I think is do-able, I would love to do sub 2:30, but I'm not going to be upset if its not. I'm thinking of the following program (the runs are what the hal higdon program suggests

Monday: Rest
    Tues: 3 mi + Back/Shoulders
    Wed: 4-5 mi + Legs
    Thurs: 3 mi + Chest/Arms
    Fri: Yoga/Rest
    Sat: Long Run
    Sun: Crosstrain

I foam rolled yesterday and I definitely think Im going to invest in one for the house, I don't like having to drive to the gym just to foam roll. I'm glad to hear that people still lift while they run, most of my runner friends just run or crosstrain and don't do much weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Aside from the 1/2 marathon, what are your immediate goals - as in lose BF or maintain? Are you at a deficit or maintenance? Also, what are your goals re lifting?
  • knk1553
    Options
    Aside from the 1/2 marathon, what are your immediate goals - as in lose BF or maintain? Are you at a deficit or maintenance? Also, what are your goals re lifting?

Honestly before I decided to do the half I was at a really big crossroads/struggle point with my diet/exercise plan. I was getting bored of my program and couldn't seem to find one I liked or enjoyed and my new gym (I moved so I have a different location than the one I was at before) just doesn't seem to have a lot of weight equipment and a bunch of cardio machines, however I'm stuck with it for another 10 months so I'm trying to make due. I would like to lose some bodyfat, and ideally sit around 18%. I'm currently at a deficit, however depending on the day and my hunger level I'll eat my maintenance and not have a freak out about it.

As far as goals for lifting, I would like to get stronger in my lifts and gain some more definition throughout my body, however like I said before I've been struggling to find a program that I like. I would like to increase all my lifts, especially my upper body as thats my weakest point.

Ultimately though I don't want to just stop lifting because I recognize the importance of it for shaping my body and I don't want to lose my upperbody definition that I've worked so hard to gain by JUST running. I'm also at a point where I'm feeling burnt out/discouraged by my progress showing and the gym I'm at now.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is MinimalistShoeAddict in this group? This is exactly what he is doing right now and might be a good resource for you.
  • knk1553
    Options
    Is MinimalistShoeAddict in this group? This is exactly what he is doing right now and might be a good resource for you.

I'm not sure, but I'll PM her! Thanks for the contact!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    When my long runs started getting longer and I was having recovery trouble from squats 3 days a week I switched to 5/3/1 so that I would only be squatting once a week. My long runs were on Sundays. Squat day was Tuesday and deadlift day was Thursday. I ran shorter runs on Wednesdays and Fridays and sometimes another run somewhere durin the week. Bench was Monday and OHP was Saturday. I left the basic structure of 5/3/1 for my main lifts made adjustments to the accessory work.

I did basically the same thing before both of the halfs I've run so far.

It doesn't have to be 5/3/1 but what worked for me was lifting four days a week with one main lift each of those days. I went to deload weights about two weeks before the races.

The main thing to do is to pay close attention to how you're feeling and how you're performing. I would mess with accessory work before I started scaling back on the main lifts but altering your intensity on them may be necessary at some point depending on how your performance is being affected.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When my long runs started getting longer and I was having recovery trouble from squats 3 days a week I switched to 5/3/1 so that I would only be squatting once a week. My long runs were on Sundays. Squat day was Tuesday and deadlift day was Thursday. I ran shorter runs on Wednesdays and Fridays and sometimes another run somewhere durin the week. Bench was Monday and OHP was Saturday. I left the basic structure of 5/3/1 for my main lifts made adjustments to the accessory work.

It doesn't have to be 5/3/1 but what worked for me was lifting four days a week with one main lift each of those days. I went to deload weights about two weeks before the races.

The main thing to do is to pay close attention to how you're feeling and how you're performing. I would mess with accessory work before I started scaling back on the main lifts but altering your intensity on them may be necessary at some point depending on how your performance is being affected.

Do you find that lifting (lower body) impacts the shorter runs negatively or is it mainly the longer runs?
  • sjohnny
    Options

Do you find that lifting (lower body) impacts the shorter runs negatively or is it mainly the longer runs?

It definitely impacts the longer runs. On the shorter runs it depends on what kind of run it is. If I'm just going for 3 to 5 miles to put in mileage at a relatively easy pace then it doesn't bother me too much if I've squatted within a day. If I'm trying to go faster - either doing hill repeats or 400m intervals or if I'm trying to do 5K as fast as I can then having squatted heavy within a day of that will affect my performance. It goes the other way as well. If I go out and PR a 5K or run 12 400m intervals and try to squat the next day it's going to be pretty weak.

For me the importance of timing between lower body lifting and running is totally dependent on the intensity. This is why the closer I get to a race the more I scale back lower body accessory stuff and stick to the main lifts.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow. I just started my half training this week. I ran a 10 mile race last year and generally did three runs a week and three full body strength workouts, but I spent most of that time ravenously hungry and grumpy from overtraining and undereating (I was still losing weight and lamely insisting on a deficit).

I think this year my plan will be
    M & W: Full body
    T & Th: Short runs
    F: Yoga
    And my long run on Saturday or Sunday

I am actually dreading training for the half because I really don't want to lose the strength gains I've made in the last few months since really dedicating myself to lifting. Whine.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Tagging to follow. I just started my half training this week. I ran a 10 mile race last year and generally did three runs a week and three full body strength workouts, but I spent most of that time ravenously hungry and grumpy from overtraining and undereating (I was still losing weight and lamely insisting on a deficit).

I think this year my plan will be
    M & W: Full body
    T & Th: Short runs
    F: Yoga
    And my long run on Saturday or Sunday

I am actually dreading training for the half because I really don't want to lose the strength gains I've made in the last few months since really dedicating myself to lifting. Whine.

My strength continued to increase (not really fast but it still increased a little bit) while I was training for my halves. I don't think there's any reason to lose strength. If you were training to run a longer distance and actually race the race rather than run it then there might be a point where you would want to drop some muscle and strength but depending on what your goals are for the half and what your current level of fitness is I don't think you'll need to lose any strength. Even if you're planning on training to win it, it's just 13.1 miles so you should be able to balance no loss in strength with kicking *kitten* in the race. If you were planning on training to race (not just run a good time but actually race) a full or ultra marathon then there would likely be a necessity to train in a way where you would lose some strength. I just don't see that type of intensity as necessary for a half. Especially if you're not trying to win it.

Again, I have no idea what your goals or fitness levels are. If you are intending to race your half to win then you're at a point where my piddly advice is meaningless and go ahead and disregard.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    My strength continued to increase (not really fast but it still increased a little bit) while I was training for my halves. I don't think there's any reason to lose strength. If you were training to run a longer distance and actually race the race rather than run it then there might be a point where you would want to drop some muscle and strength but depending on what your goals are for the half and what your current level of fitness is I don't think you'll need to lose any strength. Even if you're planning on training to win it, it's just 13.1 miles so you should be able to balance no loss in strength with kicking *kitten* in the race. If you were planning on training to race (not just run a good time but actually race) a full or ultra marathon then there would likely be a necessity to train in a way where you would lose some strength. I just don't see that type of intensity as necessary for a half. Especially if you're not trying to win it.

Again, I have no idea what your goals or fitness levels are. If you are intending to race your half to win then you're at a point where my piddly advice is meaningless and go ahead and disregard.

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. No, I'm definitely not training to win. My goals are, in this order: to not die; to cross the finish line; to cross the finish line in less than 2:15 (which is far from fast, a sub 10:20 goal pace).
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. No, I'm definitely not training to win. My goals are, in this order: to not die; to cross the finish line; to cross the finish line in less than 2:15 (which is far from fast, a sub 10:20 goal pace).

Right on. I'm not an expert by any stretch. And for my first I had set an intial goal of finishing and then as my training progressed I set a goal of 2:00:00. I had an IT band injury that drastically impacted my training so I changed my goal to "finish the whole thing without walking". It was a massively hilly course and I finished in 2:21 without walking. While training for my second one my training was interrupted by plantar fasciitis and then I sprained my ankle really badly three days before the race. I finished that one in 2:07. If I hadn't been injured I would easily have broken 2:00.

So, I'm neither fast nor strong but I'm not running to win, just beat my last one. And I'm not lifting to compete, just to get stronger than I was last time. It's all about finding that balance. I really love both lifting and running and I believe that I will always be able to find a balance between the two regardless of what goals I set for either.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    So, I'm neither fast nor strong but I'm not running to win, just beat my last one. And I'm not lifting to compete, just to get stronger than I was last time. It's all about finding that balance. I really love both lifting and running and I believe that I will always be able to find a balance between the two regardless of what goals I set for either.

This is exactly it. For weight training, I want to progress - it brings me oodles of joy. For running, it's mostly about committing to the plan, following through, and finishing my race standing. Glad to know you've been able to find balance because some people basically tell me to stop lifting, that it's incompatible with running. and I'm just not willing to do that.