NEW TO PALEO HELP!!!

Options
hyZteria
hyZteria Posts: 2 Member
Hello everyone,

My trainer suggested that I begin this diet. I said that I would research it and get back to him. My problem is I have food allergies (onions and oranges) and I am beyond a VERY PICKY EATER!!!! I dont eat many vegetables (I eat spinach, different greens, and broccoli, thats it), I do not eat salads or salad dressings, and overall I just think this would be very difficult for me because I have not been exposed to all of different foods or I do not enjoy them. Its been five days since our conversation and Im on strike from dieting and exercising. Im extremely frustrated with the eating aspect of health and I truly want to quit all together. I have researched recipes but eating the same thing everyday or every other day makes me begin to look at fast food again. I dont know what to do. With me being a picky eater does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, anything. Because im starting to except that I will be plumped and curvy for the rest of my life.

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My trainer suggested that I begin this diet. I said that I would research it and get back to him. My problem is I have food allergies (onions and oranges) and I am beyond a VERY PICKY EATER!!!! I dont eat many vegetables (I eat spinach, different greens, and broccoli, thats it), I do not eat salads or salad dressings, and overall I just think this would be very difficult for me because I have not been exposed to all of different foods or I do not enjoy them. Its been five days since our conversation and Im on strike from dieting and exercising. Im extremely frustrated with the eating aspect of health and I truly want to quit all together. I have researched recipes but eating the same thing everyday or every other day makes me begin to look at fast food again. I dont know what to do. With me being a picky eater does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, anything. Because im starting to except that I will be plumped and curvy for the rest of my life.

I hate green beans. Always have. After a week of paleo, my tastebuds changed and they were suddenly delicious. We eat so much highly flavoured rubbish that fruit & veg seems bland.

Its not. You just have to... detox your tastebuds? But you don't even sound like you want to try this out. It is worthwhile if you give it a chance.

Make it easy for yourself. Cook up meat with sweet potato and some form of green for dinners. Bacon & eggs with spinach for breakfast. Make some vege soup for lunch. see how you go.

Do you drink a lot of coffee? Substitute sugar with stevia. Substitute milk with almond milk.
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I hate green beans. Always have. After a week of paleo, my tastebuds changed and they were suddenly delicious. We eat so much highly flavoured rubbish that fruit & veg seems bland.

Its not. You just have to... detox your tastebuds? But you don't even sound like you want to try this out. It is worthwhile if you give it a chance.

Make it easy for yourself. Cook up meat with sweet potato and some form of green for dinners. Bacon & eggs with spinach for breakfast. Make some vege soup for lunch. see how you go.

Do you drink a lot of coffee? Substitute sugar with stevia. Substitute milk with almond milk.

THIS! great advice. especially about detoxing your taste buds. there are so so so many recipes you will never have to eat the same thing twice. but truthfully, if you don't want to change your habits, then don't. no one is making you! if it's worth it for you to pursue greater health, then consider this an option. it's not a diet, it's a way of eating healthfully. and it's fun! but as an adult, the excuse "i'm picky" doesn't really fly anymore.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Veggies cooked in fat taste a LOT different than plain veggies.

But this DOES require committment, which it doesn't sound like you have. Just because you don't want to eat paleo, don't give up on being healthy!
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Veggies cooked in fat taste a LOT different than plain veggies.

/\/\/\/\/\ THIS!

I hated vegetables most of my life.... after switching to this way of life it's because I discovered they weren't being prepared and cooked the best possible way!! My grandmother was of the "extremely low fat diet" crowd, so we always had vegetables boiled w/ out any fats added. Yuck!
    The great thing about Paleo is you can prepare all your vegetables that will maximize the flavor and 'mouth feel'. For example, I would not like plain steamed kale.... however, if you sautee some kale with bacon in the bacon grease- OMG it's delicious!
    I would just say that "vegetables" while you are Paleo are probably not the same vegetables you tried and hated as a child! :)
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the comments on this thread. It's all about HOW you cook the veggies, as opposed to experimenting with new kinds. I do highly, highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone, but I understand that can be difficult. As adults it's hard to try new things and break habits we've been developing for years (decades even), but it's what keeps life interesting. This diet WILL change your life if you let it. It takes a while to get used to; you'll feel like poo the first week or two, and will question why you started. But if you can get through that part you'll start to see/understand what everyone's talking about. I think it's worth a shot, and if you really don't like it you can find something else that works for you. Maybe get a sample meal plan from your trainer with the specific types of healthy foods you like? Ultimately though, this is going to take commitment from you to make it work. Don't hide behind being a "picky eater" to keep you from getting where you want to be in life.
  • hyZteria
    hyZteria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess it is more on the lines of how do I? and before I even try is it really possible. I dont eat sweet potatoes. The more I research, the more I am starting to convince myself that even if i eat the same thing I am going to give it a real shot. Thank you for your help :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think anyone can say anything to help you. You have to make the decision to open your mind and think differently about food. I like many more foods than I used to. Coconut oil is the main example. I used to hate coconut anything, now I love coconut everything.

How about changing your self talk and keep trying new things? Saying "I'm a picky eater" doesn't really make your mind very open, does it?

I don't eat sweet potatoes either because for me, they are too starchy. So eat them or don't. Same with other things. Find things you love, try new things, put lots of healthy fat on everything and maybe it will be easier than you think.

Try making your own salad dressings; store bought ones suck and always have canola and/or soy oil.

This lifestyle is not a quick fix and it takes commitment. However, the rewards are well worth the effort imo.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Being "on strike" won't solve anything either. You need to be open to trying to eat more vegetables or cooking things differently, otherwise there's not much point in doing this half-a**ed, you will get frustrated and quit. When I was growing up, I hated vegetables (other than green beans and corn) and it wasn't until I was older that I realized I didn't hate them, I just didn't like how my mother cooked them. I eat all kinds of veggies now that I used to dread seeing on my plate during my youth (broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc...). Following Paleo doesn't mean you have to eat salads (and most salad dressings won't make the cut anyway) or eat the same thing every day. There are sites that have recipes that can help you get started and see that following this lifestyle isn't all that difficult and is actually quite tasty. Besides, isn't your health & well-being worth trying it??!
  • ronniiieee
    ronniiieee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    im fairly new to the lifestyle so feel free to add me. Trust me when I say I don't eat everything either. I eat the things I love. I'm not huge on coconut but I do the almond part of Paleo. I do agree with others try things you haven't tried in a while you'll be surprised how much your taste buds will change when switching over to this lifestyle.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the group.
    I too, am not a big fan of vegetables, and never have been.
    I have found that to get in some vegetables I do a smoothie blend of 3 veg to one fruit.
    Here are some web sites for ideas on foods
    http://nomnompaleo.com/
    http://yourlighterside.com/
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/about/
    Also what I have found is to go slow. Maybe just substituting one type of paleo/primal food at a time?
    Here are some info on the Paleo/Primal lifestyle that might be helpful in your decision.
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolfe
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com
    It is a lifestyle change diffidently and only you can make that decision if it is right for you.
    You can add me as a friend if you like
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Personally, I don't think anyone can say anything to help you. You have to make the decision to open your mind and think differently about food. I like many more foods than I used to. Coconut oil is the main example. I used to hate coconut anything, now I love coconut everything.

How about changing your self talk and keep trying new things? Saying "I'm a picky eater" doesn't really make your mind very open, does it?

I don't eat sweet potatoes either because for me, they are too starchy. So eat them or don't. Same with other things. Find things you love, try new things, put lots of healthy fat on everything and maybe it will be easier than you think.

Try making your own salad dressings; store bought ones suck and always have canola and/or soy oil.

This lifestyle is not a quick fix and it takes commitment. However, the rewards are well worth the effort imo.

I second this. If you want to change yourself and change your life, you've got to open your mind and be willing to do things you haven't done before. Doing the same old thing is going to get you the same old results.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Things do not change; we change.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, plus...don't think about what foods are "forbidden" now, look at all the foods you GET to eat now!! I was craving steak last night, so I grilled up a steak and some veggies for dinner. And no one says you HAVE to eat sweet potatoes or salads - but others are right, after you eat this way for a while, your tastebuds change. Sweet potatoes are so sweet to me now that they are dessert without adding sugar. Start with what you like to eat, and introduce a new food once a week, for example.

I also don't see it any different from eating the same grains every day - honestly, I spend less time planning and packing my lunch and any snacks than when I ate the whole grains and lower fat, and don't get bored at all. This may be in part that I can taste things better now, and don't have constant heartburn. I eat meat and veggies and nuts and a few fruits. I'm a bit different - steam me up some veggies, toss some salt on them, and I'm good (though anything cooked in bacon grease is delicious!).

When I decided to give this a try 2 years ago, I told myself, what did I have to lose - my weight was already stuck. It seemed daunting to me, too - but turned out to be easier than I thought. Just planning ahead. What I've gained in my overall health has been well worth it.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    (I'm by no means a strict Paleo person but I just try to eat the best stuff I can with a few treats now and then.)

Don't give up! We all have set backs.
    Just start with baby steps. Replace a meal here and there if the whole concept is overwhelming.
    I also hate salad dressings. If I'm out of straight up balsamic, I'll use it but vinegar is king in my house.
    Also experiment with different cooking methods. Like roasting or grilling veggies instead of boiling. Cook with bacon or a good oil.

One of my favorite things now is roasted brussel sprouts, nearly burned to a crisp. More addicting than potato chips!
    You said you like spinach (right?) how about cooking some spinach with some eggs for breakfast. So maybe you can get creative with the things you do like.

As my husband says as a former picky eater---Picky eaters choose to be picky. You've just not been hungry enough yet. :happy:
  • Pjo1974
    Pjo1974 Posts: 8
    Options
    I too WAS a picky eater. Never at veggies.

I have only been doing Paleo for less than one week and I already notice that I am truly enjoying vegetables (cooking them in fat DOES make a difference). I absolute detest celery, beets and fennel....I have eaten all three this week and actually enjoyed them...I was sad when all of my roasted beets were gone :(

I would suggest, if you are going to do this, buying a book that has everything laid out for you...including meal plans. Work smarter not harder right? Follow that for a few months then you should hopefully have a good handle on it after that.

Good luck!
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Do you like Chinese food? Look up paleo versions of them.

Basically, start watching cooking shows, particularly ethnic ones. Got to admit, I HATE how my grandmother made veggies. Always boiled to baby food consistency, margarine and salt and pepper. BORING!

What I do is find some ethnic food that looks good, then try it paleo/primal style. (Primal can have milk/cheese.) Sag Paneer...mmm. Basically spinach with green curry (as near as I can figure) and cheese. We eat all sorts of curries and stirfries. Much better than boring boiled veggies. Make Chinese...but don't make the rice. When my kids eat spaghetti, I slice some zucchini, put shredded cheese on top and bake. Then I put sauce over top. Cabbage rolls? Sure, just omit the rice or grain in the meatball. Tonight was chicken thighs baked on top of a bed of fresh kale...I could eat it about every night. I make Lion Head Meatballs and put it in a crock pot (or oven dish) with cabbage or collards, carrots and broccoli. Curries - find an Asian store and gets some of the different color curry pastes. I love the green. Look into Mexican food too. Make "nachos" without the chips, but with lots of cabbage, avocado, tomatoes and onions, with some hot sauce and cheese. (Real Mexican food tends to use cabbage instead of lettuce.) Learn how to use coconut milk to make curries or creamed substitutes. Certainly, use fats like coconut oil, bacon fat, and butter. Be aware that butter needs low heat - use other oils for high heat and finish with the butter.

You don't have to eat the same thing the same way every day unless you really want to.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess it is more on the lines of how do I? and before I even try is it really possible. I dont eat sweet potatoes. The more I research, the more I am starting to convince myself that even if i eat the same thing I am going to give it a real shot. Thank you for your help :)

I don't eat sweet taters either (yuk). After doing research and making the decision to go Paleo or Primal, you'll realize that it's so much easier than being on a "diet" and there are so many creative things that you can do with food. I keep it simple and eat the foods that I love, and just about every day. If you've been brainwashed on the standard american diet (SAD), some things may be difficult to wrap your head around, such as FAT does your body good, healthy fat, that is. Best of luck to you!