Diabetic and Terrified

Options
I had an eye-opening and frankly terrifying discussion with my doctor today. Walking in for a physical I never expected to be told that I was diabetic. I was just concerned about the fact that I was insanely thirsty, kept bruising everywhere and was tired ALL THE TIME. I thought I was anemic. That's what I get for thinking.

On the upside, I have already started going to the gym 3X per week. Haven't lost any weight yet but going to see the nutritionist and endo on Friday to see what's what. Until then my doctor suggested tracking everything I eat and my calorie intake. I hope that I can get better and better care for myself.

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hi! I think a lot of us start out in denial....I know I did. I had the insane thirst, too, but I was also getting chronic yeast infections and that was miserable.

Good that you have an endo and access to a nutritionist...I dont have insurance so I am pretty much on my own except for my primary. I go every 3 months for follow ups.

DON'T be terrified. We CAN control this disease and, when we do, we have a pretty good chance of having a normal, healthy life. Your meter is your friend....take lots of readings...in the morning, evening and after meals to see how different foods affect your sugar levels. And just because you have diabetes doesn't mean you can never have the "bad" foods ever again....you just have to use good common sense and limit how often you have them and the portion sizes.

Great to hear you are exercising! That's a great help. MFP will definitely help you track your macros...calories, carbs, sugar, etc. Its been a godsend to me, that's for sure. I couldn't have lost the weight I have without it.

Check out bloodsugar101.com...great resource, lots of info. Good luck....you can do it!!
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be terrified about-- you can educate yourself and take control of this disease. You can fight it by monitoring your diet and getting exercise and keeping track of your blood sugar numbers.

Good luck to you!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've already begun to work on your health and with a endo and nutritionist in your corner, they'll be able to help you through this. Wishing you the best. And there are a lot of wonderful people here working toward the same goals...so, welcome!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi hc, nice to meet you!

You're off to a good start by making the decision to take control of your diabetes, incorporating an exercise routine and seeking out the help of an endo along with an nutritionist to ensure your success moving forward, developing a long term healthy lifestyle plan that's going to work for you.

In addition to your glucose meter, The MyFitnessPal program is a wonderful tool to help track your food choices. It's been invaluable to me not only with my weight loss journey by logging everything I eat and sticking to it like glue, but it's also afforded me tighter control over my blood sugars.

Wishing you the same success I've enjoyed.

Welcome :smile:
  • mariannab8606
    mariannab8606 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello and you are not alone - having been recently diagnosed, after several years of lung issues and sinus surgeries - many rounds of prednisone - I too am T2 diabetic. I have had a bod pod assessment done, hired a trainer - exercise 5 days a week and hopefully will see results. I am determined to take charge of my health. The hardest part for me is eating and trying to count carbs. My problem is I don't eat enough. After today's visit with the nutritionist - I was a bit overwhelmed with the info - so I can only take one day at a time and improve with each day! Good luck to you on your journey to better health!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi HC and Marianna, and welcome to this support group. Being diagnosed with Diabetes comes as a shock to most people, except those with a family history. The feeling you both experienced is something which most of us in this group can identify. The good news is that for the vast majority of people, Diabetes can be controlled. It requires discipline,dedication, determination and persistence. The MFP programme is a fantastic tool for helping us gain, and keep control. The caveat is that it must be applied properly. It is NOT a quick fix solution but is designed to help each of us to eat healthily and in a way which enables our bodies to process the food we ingest in a way we can cope with. In short MFP is about a change in lifestyle and is NOT A DIET.
    The first thing to learn is that Diabetes is a very individual disease which affects each of us in different ways. This means that not everyone will have the same adverse reaction to the same food. What causes me to spike may not cause you to spike. This in turn means that each of us has to identify those foods which for us are best avoided and this means lots of trial and error. Beware of prescriptive advice, however well intended. The second important lesson to learn is that information is power. Each of us has to read and absorb as much as we can about Diabetes. MFP has lots and lots of great information sources. I suggest that you both take the time to read over the various threads in this group and note the reference ssources you think may be most appropriate for you. When you're ready to ask questions you will find lots of really genuine and supportive people in this group who will be willing to share their experience and to give you the support and encouragement you need. It is easy to feel overwhelmed especially at the begining. Take things one step at a time and only move on when you are satisfied that that particular issue has been resolved. One of the best determinants for success is the process of pre-planning. Being aware of the nutritional value of each meal before it is eaten enables us to make wise choices. It goes without saying that once eaten the damage ,if any is done.
    I wish you both every success in your journeys to a healthy and active lifestyl;e and will certainly do anything I can to help and encourage you.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I found out a week less than 3-months ago. You're not alone. Much to my surprise, I've actually enjoyed monitoring the foods I eat and how they effect my body. I'm finally getting dialed in to the right dosages of meds for me. Come to find out, it's fasting and certain fruits that screw me up the worst, That has been the hardest part. Add me as a friend if you like. Hang tough as your journey down this stupid road begins.

Celeste
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have a meter yet, but your meter will be your best friend. It's the way you can tell what foods affect you in what way.

You've taken the right steps. Don't be scared. There's alot of information to digest (no pun intended) but you can manage it with diet and exercise.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • mariannab8606
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging words Robert. My mom was diabetic and I thought I had escaped the diagnosis until I became ill and on steroids. At the time my physician informed me it could induce the diabetes as I was predisposed to it genetically. My mom was diligent in taking her blood sugars 4 times daily and sometimes more for over 50 years and lived until almost 90. I have learned through her journey that mine will be different as we all do react to foods differently and I also have many food allergies. I will take one day at a time and this site has allowed me to document and try to keep in check calories and carbs in particular. I have had to learn to eat - I could go a day or two without and only coffee - so eating 3 regular meals a day is a dramatic change for me. This support group is awesome and I am reading a variety of threads and have linked myself up with some different diabetic associations in Canada, US and UK where I research a variety of topics. Again - THANKS bunches for your kind words. I will remember them when I fall.....and have to pick myself up again.
  • LadyLaw2Phd
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the encouragement. Its hard not to be scared at a new thing but the more research I do, the more I realize that I can do this and MFP is a great tool to have.

I haven't gotten a meter yet, waiting for the insurance to send it out. I'm very lucky that I have good health coverage through my graduate school program. And a supportive husband.
  • mariannab8606
    Options
    Celeste - managing our food intake is indeed an eye opener - after seeing the dietitian - she informed me I had to eat a minimum of 4 carbs at every meal - that's more than I've eaten in days - as I am a nighthawk and get carried away with projects - then forget to eat or stop for a break. Today was my first day at counting carbs and following her advice - highest Blood Sugar I had was 8.6 fasting - so I still have plenty of work to do. It can be overwhelming but this site is great for monitoring. I am sure I will have many bad days - but am convinced I'll come off the meds or at least keep myself from having serious health issues in the future.
  • LadyLaw2Phd
    Options
    Celeste- I was shocked at how much carbs and sugar are in fruit! The food tracker is already really helpful to me and I love the barcode scanner on the App. Makes things so much easier. I was so shocked to find out the amount of sodium that is in things that are "supposedly" healthy (like 1300mg of salt in 2 steak tacos).
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, diabetes probably saved my life. I fell into a 13 year emotional tailspin and went from being super-fit to morbidly obese over that amount of time. I didn't snap out of it until the day I was diagnosed with diabetes. It didn't seem real... Almost like I just woke up from a very deep sleep and found myself in a different place from where I went to sleep.

It's nothing to be afraid of, but you have to take care of yourself and make some changes in your life. They'll all be for the better though.
  • Aussielooser
    Aussielooser Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My diagnoses was a shock but I didn't let any grass grow under my feet and treated it as a gift to having a second chance on life some don't get that same opportunity. I started on 1 metformin SLR then a week later went up to 2 within 6 months I was back down to 1 tablet and 3 months after that I was taken off them. My type 2 is now controlled by exercise and diet alone and for now I have not looked back.. Good luck on your journey it is pretty scary at first but then it just becomes part of your everyday life. My motto at first was med's, diet and exercise I know you can do it you have come to the right place you're not alone. Everyone is so lovely and if you would like to add me as a friend you're more than welcome I usual zip in and out at the moment as life is busy but I am always just a message away ..:flowerforyou:
  • tamsin66
    tamsin66 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there, I am 5 months in from my diagnosis of T2. I got the news on April Fools' Day :(.

I hired a trainer and work with her weight training 2x weekly. I go on my own to the gym 3 or 4 additional days a week and do cardio on the treadmill and/or eliptical for around 45 minutes each time. Prior to this, I was struggling at the gym. I was working on the machines, but wasn't doing things properly. I also was a Weight Watchers' flunky. I'd save up my points to eat a big meal at dinnertime. I wasn't working out properly or eating properly. I had to learn to space out my meals throughout the day (with the help of a nutritionist) and keep my sugar level too.

This app MFP is great for tracking calories and carbs. It has been a great tool to help me manage the diabetes. I also use a free app to record my sugar with. In a quick second, I have access to my averages, highs , lows and handy charts over the past few months. So, I recommend downloading a diabetes app for that too.

One of the best foods I've found since my diagnosis is Silk Pure Almond unsweetened almond milk. It is 30 calories per 1 cup serving with a whopping 45% of a day's serving of calcium and has only 1 gram of carbohydrate.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing!