Trying to gain muscle, NOT FAT. Help!

Options
sum1s
sum1s Posts: 23 Member
So I'm slightly underweight (5'3", almost 5"4" and weigh as of now 94 lbs) and have been trying to gain weight for the past month or so. When I started, I weighed 88.5 lbs and was eating somewhere between 400-700 calories per day. I was under eating by a lot and didn't realize how much until I started on here. The doctor put me on some medical food and told me to up my calories to at least 1200.

Anyway fast forward to now, and I've gained roughly six pounds but all seems to be fat, since things are more jiggly than they used to be and I still have a hard time doing any normal physical work. My waist has gotten thicker, and other unflattering places have gotten larger. I don't know how much I should be eating to gain muscle and yet lose the fat without putting my metabolism into survival mode again. I just found out my estimated BMR is 1156, and I just started lifting weights 3x a week recently. So I guess I need advice on whether to eat more to gain muscle, or eat less to lose the fat? I don't know! Help? Is there anyone else out there trying to do the same thing? My doctor hasn't been much help, since every time I've gone in he's asked me about things that we haven't even discussed! He has way too many patients... I'm getting a new doctor, just in case you were wondering.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me!

Replies

• kerve13
    kerve13 Posts: 13
    Options
    You're in a transitional/recovery type of state, don't get discouraged. Keep working out, and keep getting your calories up. It'll take a little time to adjust so keep at it! With the increased calories you may gain some fat, but that is likely a good thing at this point if you're underweight (I know it seems weird/different, but your body needs it).

Just stick with it for now, don't look for immediate results if you're on a road for long-term successes. I know what it's like (kind of), as someone very close to me was in a similar situation of being underweight and underfed. A few months of increased calories (she had to increase to 1400 a day, which still seems low to me) and some weight training have really started to make noticeable differences, but she was discouraged at the start and it took time before everything started coming together.

You can do it!
  • sum1s
    sum1s Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :)

It's easy to get discouraged and impatient while "in recovery." I just have to remind myself that I won't be here forever.
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I think you need to focus on getting your weight up right now since you're still pretty underweight. Once you get to a healthier BMI, then perhaps focus on getting more muscle. I'm in a similar situation--5'4", low wt. of 95lbs and now at around 98lbs. I'm eating around 1800 cals/day tho my goal is 2500. I too would like to build some muscle but honestly, i'm still feeling a bit weak and know I need to gain some more wt.(my goal wt. is around 118lbs), before I'll tackle the strength training.