calorie intake too low

Options
lesumm3r
lesumm3r Posts: 18 Member
Hi, I'm having a bit of trouble meeting my daily calorie goals and today due to pms problems (sorry if any guys are reading this) I finally gave in to my mum and ate the gluten and dairy free chocolate cake she'd made me...

Basically I am looking for healthy ways to increase my intake without adding carbs because what my mum doesn't know is that I have just broken a restrict/binge cycle and the binges were triggered by carbs and sugars and I just cannot bear to eat really carby foods because they make me feel pretty grim, apart from the odd sweet potato made in to soup.

Does anyone have any advice? The only fat burning can really eat os plive oil because I'm lactose intolerant and allergic to coconut and nuts so it's difficult for me to make fat bombs and stuff and I'm pretty good at meeting my protein requirements...

Thank you in advance,

Laura

Replies

• asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Allergic to nuts and coconuts?
    Can you have seeds? Sunflower butter would be good to help you get some calories/fat if you can have seeds. I like to eat it straight out of the jar. :)
    Also - I know others would probably recommend avocado - though I personally don't care for avocado much.
    Additionally, I know it sounds gross, but recently I'm partial to 'sneaking' raw egg yolks into things - they add tons of nutrients and a good hit of protein/fat. I add them to smoothies and have even been blending a yolk into my morning coffee. You really can't taste them at all, and they make everything thick and smooth!
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    Yep that and allergy to soya and coeliac and pretty bad lactose intolerance and pretty much the reasons I decided to go paleo...

I developed the nut allergy pretty recently so I'm very wary of seeds now and not really willing to risk anything else until I get some test results back next week.

Is it ok to eat so many yolks then? Cause I eat two basically every morning.

Is there a way to eat avocado in a way that you can't really taste that it's avocado? Cause I find guacamole and straight avocado pretty gross, something about the texture doesn't seem to agree with me. Thank you for the suggestions though, it certainly gives me something to think about.
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    wow... you have a lot on your shoulders!!!

girlfriend, rock out on those egg yolks. yum!!! try chocolate avocado pudding! there are millions of recipes on pinterest. and put it in smoothies! also, try making avocado brownies. another way to get more fat is to make sure you use tons of oil when you cook. save your bacon grease, order some tallow or suet from your butcher, and try ghee!

as far as the recent food allergies, something worth looking into might be an elimination diet like the gaps diet, or Cheeseslave's healing from food allergies information? http://foodallergies.realfoodmedia.com/

just my two cents worth about the binging... it's NEVER really just about the food. there is so, so much more behind it. i don't eat a lot of starch so i hear you on the feeling gross thing, but please take it from years and years of learning the hard way... it's what's in your heart that counts most as far as what leads to disordered behavior. just my thoughts! good luck on the food allergy stuff!!!! keep us posted on the results.

btw - are you allergic to peanuts? since they're a tree nut/legume, it might be an option? i know they arent "paleo" but who cares?
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yep that and allergy to soya and coeliac and pretty bad lactose intolerance and pretty much the reasons I decided to go paleo...

I developed the nut allergy pretty recently so I'm very wary of seeds now and not really willing to risk anything else until I get some test results back next week.

Is it ok to eat so many yolks then? Cause I eat two basically every morning.

Is there a way to eat avocado in a way that you can't really taste that it's avocado? Cause I find guacamole and straight avocado pretty gross, something about the texture doesn't seem to agree with me. Thank you for the suggestions though, it certainly gives me something to think about.

I have seen recipes for fudge and other chocolate things made with avocado, and they say you can't taste the avocado, it just makes it really rich. Google "Paleo Fudge" or "Paleo Brownies" for starters.
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    also (sorry to blow up your thread!!!), i just looked at your log. if you are low on calories, PLEASE don't eat low fat yogurt and egg whites! that is not paleo! eat whole fat things, and you will feel so much better!
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    The low fat yoghurt was a pms related desperate fridge raid.. my mum eats a lot of the stuff..

So that's a definite yes on the yolks? Sorry it's hard to shake the cholesterol fears I've had drilled in to me at school. .

Peanuts, like the seeds, I'm not comfortable with trying right now but thanks for the suggestion.

I will definitely try the avocado things as I have spied some in the fruit bowl and that is at least something I know my mum will be supportive of.

I have secretly struggled with ED problems for two years now so yeah my relationship with food is pretty weird but I'm desperate and determined to be healthy now and I finally have my head in the right place so thank you for all this helpful advice, I really dp appreciate it and I look forward to next week being even healthier and fuelling myself with even better nutrition. And also hopefully my test results will help :)
  • emilyrtanner
    emilyrtanner Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should increase your fat intake! Fat adds calories and is the primary source of energy for us primal types trying to avoid carbs.

Use avocados, eggs, and healthy oils to add fat to all of your meals. Try coconut oil, walnut oil, etc. Try infused olive oils - I have some beautiful chipotle infused oil, saffron infused oil - they are delicious and really boost my meals and salad dressings. Avoid non fat and low fat things like the plague and avoid vegetable oils and omega-6 fats (nuts) as well.

Fat does not make you fat. This is the hardest thing to learn when going paleo but it is CRITICAL to success. I don't want to sound preachy so let me know if you would like more info and I am happy to share. :)

edited to add - standard health care mantras about cholesterol are based on misunderstanding. high cholesterol is a symptom of other things wrong, not an end in themselves. do a little research to calm your fears - its hard to let go of what we have been taught, but its necessary! http://paleodietlifestyle.com/cholesterol-is-not-bad/
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on the AIP (autoimmune protocol) and I follow a similar diet. Morning = sweet potato topped with bacon, lunch = turkey burger with 2-4 cups of veggies, dinner = meat + 2-4 cups of veggies. I was having issues with not eating enough carbs so I started the sweet potato in the morning. I will make fresh fruit juice in the afternoon sometimes too. I reach 1355 calories/day usually.

Avocado mashed into canned salmon is a really good lunch, just a squeeze of lemon and nomnomnom!

You should eat fish 2x a week and look into seaweed and other supplements. I take Magnesium and Vitamin D.

Check out The Paleo Mom's guidelines for AIP its essentially what you are following now:
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity/the-autoimmune-protocol
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check the Balanced Bites site for their dairy free chocolate mousse. It is a complete winner and has avocado in it.
  • mybelovedrebel
    mybelovedrebel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh, also, if you have the spare cash, try adding some Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil or Cod Liver Oil/Pastured Butter mix. It is a great way to add healthy fat as well!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What about flaxseed--ground up in smoothies, on top of salads etc. Or the oil. I do not know whether flax is very allergenic--maybe it's included in your allergy test results.