When were you diagnosed?

Options
lovelyx091
lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
I was diagnosed in 2010 at 19 years old. I cried and was very, very depressed for weeks... I wasn't in shock, because I expected it. My mom has it, my grandparents had it, etc. I was just so disappointed in myself for letting it get to that point. Now I am 22 years old and doing something about it! I've started back on mfp and I've been eating better, and as my ticker will tell you- I'm already down 4lbs! I'm going to my doctor soon for blood work and such, so I'm really hoping everything is better than before.

How old were you when you were diagnosed, and what year? How did you feel, how did you react?

(I'm sorry if there's already a thread for this.)

Replies

• kathyvalliere
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few weeks ago... and I'm in my mid 50's. My father had diabetes and had quite a hard time with the disease. He went blind, lost his right foot and was insulin dependent for as long as I can remember. He eventually died from complications due to his illness. I figured I'd better get my blood sugar under control and try to prevent myself from ending up like my dad.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 29 when I was pregnant with my son. Failed the GTT miserably and they knew it wasn't just pregnancy diabetes. Not a shocker- had suspected it before but the doctor only did a finger prick test and said I was fine.... my dad, brother, grandfather, uncles are all diabetic so it really runs in the family. Fast forward 12 years and I am finally kicking my *kitten* in gear to get this under control (did fine for a long time but then got lazy with it). I go to my endocrinologist next week and cannot wait to see if my A1C has dropped.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    May 2012 @ age 52

Was annoyed but not shocked, I was warned, had a few years of higher glucose readings and then the A1C's that were not diagnostic....till a year ago. A1C came back at 6.9 (it's 5.7 right now).

I do have type 2 in the family so again, no surprise but like you, the OP, annoyed at myself for not pulling the reigns back earlier to prevent what I'm dealing with now. On Metformin 500 twice a day. Test once after dinner due to crappy insurance.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 1983 as "Border line" meaning my BS went from low to high to normal to where ever it wanted to go. Not much you can do when that happens. I stayed border lined till 2007 or 2008 (not sure which year). The A1C showed high and then the doctor did another one 3 months later and it too was high. That is when I started on medicine and testing. My BS was running almost 150 every day. Yes I was in deniel off and on. Would do good and get sugar down, then go back to old habits of eating, then it would be higher than last time. This last time it was averaging around 265 with spikes into the 300's off and on. I knew I needed to take control and do really good now a days. My BS runs between 70 and 84 most days with no meds. I must be doing something right. I do test off and on through out the day too. I never miss checking BS when I get home from work, or when I get up (FBS). Then depending on what I am eating (feeling like) I test off and on through the day too.

I knew I was a good canidate for diabetes. My mom had it, her brother (my uncle). and then my grandmother on my dad's side. So with it running on both sides... I was destine to get it too. My brother is in denial and thinks diabetes wasn't that much in the family. He needs to get his sugar tested, but like most of us. He says he feels fine and doesn't need too. It isn't strong in our family. (He is the type not to go to the doctor at all)
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    May 25th was the official day. I was warned about it 3 months prior so I went on a diet and dropped some weight. Diet was all wrong though, and it didn't help. My A1C was 12.98. Went to a DM educator and a Dietician after that. Still had some pretty inconsistent numbers. In the spirit of Bruce Lee I took what worked for me and discarded the rest. My A1C is in the mid 5's now.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed way back in 1989 at the age of 34. By today's standards I would have been diagnosed a few years earlier as back then the threshold for diabetes was a fasting level of 140 and mine had been over 125 for at least 3 years. The concept of prediabetes didn't exist yet. Despite the fact that I was only a little overweight and very physically active (a competitve club level tennis player) it came as no surprise. My Grandmother was diabetic and died of gangrene poisoning because she resisted a leg amputation and my mother was diagnosed at age 49 and had her first heart attack at 53 in 1967 when bypass surgery or cholesterol medication wasn't developed yet. She led a greatly diminished existence until she died at 66 of congestive heart failure. Her 5 diabetic siblings all died in their 50s and 60s as well. Given the family history and having seen first hand how devastating the disease could be I was determined to control my diabetes and live a long and healthy life. At the time of my diagnosis the only oral medications available were sulfonyl ureas that lost effectiveness within a few years reducing my insulin production to type 1 levels. I've been on insulin for 20 years now and also take metformin

The good news is that after 24 years with diabetes I am 100 percent complication free and probably in the best physical shape of my life at age 58. With good diet and exercise habits and proper medication I have kept my AIC between 5.6-5.9
    and am optimistic I'll live to a healthy old age.
  • mariannab8606
    mariannab8606 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 30 May one week before our daughters wedding and the day before we had to put our beloved dog down. I can understand how stress affects diabetes. Trying to manage - this site is great! I'm interested in finding out what works for different people to get their BS down to an acceptable level.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    December 22, 2012.

My first thought was "Oh hell no, I refuse to be diabetic"

3 months earlier I had gone to see the DR and my usual Dr was busy and I saw his wife, she warned me that if my A1C came back high a second time, I would be diagnosed as Diabetic. I was at 6.5

I had been fighting with a kidney stone, or two, and drinking gallons of cranberry and other juices, and just thought it was all the sugar in those.

The second high A1C (6.9) was December 22, 2012. I found MFP right after Christmas (Managed to lose 5 pounds over Christmas by myself)

My Mum and one brother are diabetic so apparently it runs in the family..

I have to say, changing Dr's was the difference between night and day, she is awesome! I have my own private cheering section, who gives me high fives on losses, hugs for no reason at all, and tells me she wishes she could get more patients to do what I have done.

My answer - "If I can help, let me know, but you have to want it bad enough, for you, to succeed"
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    October 2001, I was 31, and we tried to control it with diet, then meds, now up to 6 shots a day. I'm on the shots, because the oral meds made me sick at my stomach, still I was on them for ten years, I feel so much better on the insulin shots.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May of 2011... I was 56. At first I was in denial because I felt better after starting on meds. Finally got serious in May of 2012. I don't like being diabetic, but I could have something much worse. If you control it, odds are you will lead a good, long life... and I intend to do just that.