10K Goal opinions please

Options
Ke22yB
Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
Hi
I am a 65 year old runner who ran his first 10K in May at 80mins 40 seconds and first 5K 6/2 in 39/59 averaging just under 13min mile for both. For the 10K this was almost 6 minutes faster than I had ever run it in training. I am looking to another 10K the end of October and would like to finish in about 75 minutes.
Last week during my 3.2 mile club run I was on average 12:37 min/mile every mile within 10 seconds of each other.
This morning I was on a walk jog run with another member and ran the last mile in 11:57 the fastest mile I think I ever ran.
My question at my age with some leg problems how much improvement is reasonable.
I run 3 or 4x a week generally 4 to 5 miles with one 6 to 7 mile run longer and slower. My weekly runs my pacing now is pretty even mile to mile in the low 13s.
I do a mens fitness class 3x a week at the senior center with 10lb hand weights and resistance bands for some upper body and core strength . I have recently upped my weight loss goals to a pound a week so should be down in the high 170's for the 10K about 15 to 20 pounds lighter than first 10K
Any opinions and advice much appreciated

Replies

• KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think the standard answer will be to lengthen the long run and shorten one or two of the other runs. Also, I don't know if the leg problems preclude this, but one of the shorter runs should include picking of the pace for short periods. Most plans include a long run, some speed work and some tempo work. But, I think you take it slow, slow and slower when it comes to the speed and tempo stuff. A little can go a long way and the goal for any race is to arrive at the start line healthy and rested, not injured from running too hard.

Hopefully, people with way more knowledge and experience will chime in!

Good luck and have fun! :smile:
  • Ke22yB
    Options
    Having fun is a given I am certainly having fun. For someone who was in the 360s to even be running is great fun and I love it.
    I have moderate to severe arthritis in the left hip and am undergoing some PT to improve the muscles firing in the left glute and strengthen the left leg.
    I think just the age factor my sprint speed and my run speed is not much different right now my long kick is an intersection to make the light :ohwell:
    today the 11:57 mile was my speed work, almost as fast as I could go my nike+ app has shown me into the 10s or high 9s but that is very short distance
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You could do a time trial to see what your best pace is. 1 mile warm-up, 3 x 1 mile as fast as you can keeping as even a pace as you can over all 3 miles, 1 minute rest between each mile, 1 mile cool down. Average your mile time +15" to get your 5K race pace.

For your leg issues, I would train the same as if you didn't have them as whatever pace you can, but take more time for recovery to prevent further injury.

Go ahead and do speed work at whatever speed is fast for you at the time, it's all relative.

Good luck with your training.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Might sound simplistic but have you thought of joining a running club? running with others is a sure fire way of getting better,
  • Ke22yB
    Options
    I joined a running club in the next town. The 10K I am shooting for is their premier event. The fastest miles I have logged was trying to keep up or catch up on group runs. I am 65 and most everyone else is 30 to 40. My grandkids are older than a few of their kids.
    At times when they say they are going to keep at a moderate pace it is still almost 2 min/miles faster than my race pace.
    The club has helped me push harder.
    I am just curious in everyones opinion how fast can I reasonably hope to get
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't have any idea about how much faster you can get given your age, experience, and so on... but here is my experience!
    I joined a running club in March. That was the best decision I have ever made! It is now August and I feel that, through hard work and passion, I've been improving a lot! But there are a few things I'd like to share with you:

Improvements come little by little an you probably won't see an improvement during every race you'll run. I had bad races-races where I tought I'd be PRing given the results of my training runs and where, instead, I did quite bad. Then, during my last race, I achieved a result that I wouldn't even dream about! I did it without thinking, without pushing extra hard, and without expecting any result in particular. So that's why I don't know how much faster you can get but I can assure you that if you keep working hard without stressing too much about the final outcome, you'll get there!

When I first joined my running team I was among the slowest runners. I'd kill myself in order to keep up with part of the Group and, as a result, I'd be in constant pain and I'd ruin every single workout because after a few miles I wouldn't have the strenght to keep running, not even at a slower pace. I had to stop this pattern and told myself: "if you have to run by yourself, so be it." I did it for a while and I improved little by little. I'm now finally able to keep up with a big bunch of runners in the teamand I even became faster than some of them ;) So remember that running requires a huge amount of patience and I strongly reccomend not Killing yourself just to follow somebody faster than you-you'll end up ruining your runs and, worst but very common case, getting injured!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I joined a running club in the next town. The 10K I am shooting for is their premier event. The fastest miles I have logged was trying to keep up or catch up on group runs. I am 65 and most everyone else is 30 to 40. My grandkids are older than a few of their kids.
    At times when they say they are going to keep at a moderate pace it is still almost 2 min/miles faster than my race pace.
    The club has helped me push harder.
    I am just curious in everyones opinion how fast can I reasonably hope to get

How fast can you get? I did a 5 k the other day and some guys older than you did 21 minutes, in the club i belong to we have guys around your age who can do 40 minute 10k's. My personal view is if you are at 50% for age grading at the distance then you are doing ok. that equates to a 1hr 7min 10k time for you
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I am 52, have arthritis plus 2 scopes on my left knee and an old acl surgery on my right knee about 25 years ago. When i started running again 5 years ago, i just trained for base mileage. I didnt care how fast i was for about a year and a half. After that i started doing speed work with my club. I use the McMillian pace calculator to see what pace i should run my intervals at. I started out with 200m intervals with 200m recoverys, walkin most of the recoverys. It has taken me a couple of years to improve but i am making progress. You just have to be patient. Time and experience will show improvement. My first marathon i ran in 4:50. This year i made 4:17. Not bad for my age group. But it took 5 years to get that far. Rest when your body tells you to rest. I have stopped training for 2 to 3 days before because i could tell i needed more recovery time and it has always paid off for me. Be careful and have fun!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Age aside, you're at a point where you'll be able to see big improvements in your race times and running in general. As someone stated, you can't PR every race, but you can certainly consistently improve.

Best advice I ever took was just to slow down and run more. Keep the fast running for the days they matter - speedwork or your races. Stay healthy, and listen to your body when you need to rest.

Best wishes.
  • Ke22yB
    Options
    I understand the older guys being faster, it seems if you are still running at my age you are either very fit very committed. In the Santa Monica 10K there was nobody older than me behind me they were all faster including the 78 year old so I know I have a long future and I am patient but through the weight loss process became goal oriented and use goals to guide my progress. The 1 hour 7 minutes is so far out of reach right now I can't equate my progress to that. If I can approach 1 hour 14 or 15 minutes in 2013 and maybe 1 hour 10 minutes in 2014 I would be really pleased.
    MartinaNYC I run alone a lot so during group runs once I fall behind I am not stressing about keeping up and I do enjoy my runs.