TDEE Activity?

Options
kellrell
kellrell Posts: 31 Member
Im trying to get my TDEE worked out but honestly not sure what I should put as my activity level.
I lift heavy at least 3 times a week usually about an hour. I try and go for walks through the week that are usually 30 mins and can be anywhere from once a week to 4 times a week.
I also work as a nurse. I work in psych so it isnt quite as active as a medical nurse but still on my feet quite a bit, and I work nights (and work a full time and parttime job).
Just looking for any ideas. I had originally put moderatly active but wondering if thats too high.

Thanks for any help. I wanna get as close as I can as the difference is about 400 calories.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you want to stick with the rough ball-park 5 levels, then use this to help with the time aspect, because increased daily life does count.

But as you seem to also notice, walking doesn't equal lifting doesn't equal running for calorie burn.

Or for best estimate, use the spreadsheet linked in there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Moderate is definitely not too high. You have a regular workout schedule and probably a lot of NEAT on top of that. Don't underestimate your activity level and short-change yourself...
  • kellrell
    Options
    NEAT?
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    NEAT = Non exercise activity thermogenesis, calorie burned from non exercise activity.

You probably burn a lot of calories at work I bet!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    NEAT?

Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis = NEAT (calories burned through your normal day to day activities)

A lot of your daily calorie burn (TDEE) comes from your day to day activities (work, chasing after children, walking around campus, doing laundry, vacuuming... etc.)

Although your most intense burns will probably come from your formal workouts, don't underestimate your non-exercise burns (NEAT). If you have a fairly active job (as you do) and get some walking in (as you do) in addition to your workouts, you are certainly at least in the Moderate exercise category...
  • kellrell
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great info.
    I have tried the spreadsheet. But they're giving me different numbers than what I was using before (scooby calculator) and now I'm a little more confused.
    Now I have two different bmrs. About 300 apart. But tdee's that are only 100 apart.
    One bmr is approximately 1450. The other 1750. Both tdee. Are 2500-2600.
    So I guess since my cut % comes from tdee that bmr doesn't matter as much. So to do a reset maybe I will start at 2400 and add 100 each week and see how it goes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Great info.
    I have tried the spreadsheet. But they're giving me different numbers than what I was using before (scooby calculator) and now I'm a little more confused.
    Now I have two different bmrs. About 300 apart. But tdee's that are only 100 apart.
    One bmr is approximately 1450. The other 1750. Both tdee. Are 2500-2600.
    So I guess since my cut % comes from tdee that bmr doesn't matter as much. So to do a reset maybe I will start at 2400 and add 100 each week and see how it goes.

So if you entered in the bodyfat % in the spreadsheet, it is using the more accurate Katch BMR as the start to the math.

So scooby is using Mifflin or Harris, which in your case is 300 inflated over best estimate. Care to eat 300 more than needed?
    Those BMR's are based on studies of people already at healthy weight, so when overweight, the BMR is inflated.

But it sounds like that is offset by the activity calculator having a better TDEE estimate, then you picking from 5 levels, and you didn't pick high enough.

If you go back to scooby to confirm yourself, find the link for most accurate, find the Katch method mentioned, enter your BF%, and pick the higher activity level.

BMR will turn out the same, TDEE will probably be close.

Spreadsheet is just bringing the best of everything together in one place.
  • kellrell
    Options
    Perfect. I think I will play with it a bit more.
    All your info has been a huge help. A lot of information is all.

Thanks guys!!