Welcome - introduce yourself

Options
eso2012
eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
I started this group last night and am so glad to see quite a few members already. I will do my best to find more resources to share (e.g. good YouTube videos), in addition to my own experience.

I started Pilates 2.5 years ago at a professional studio. Like a dance school, there is no cheating....from intro and, with approval, to more advanced classes, from mat to chair to reformer, plus many props including balls, magic circle, theraband, and more.

Pilates is part of my workout that also includes HIIT, circuit training, TRX, etc.

If there is one advice I give to beginners = start slow, get yourself a real instructor, learn the right technique. And remember that you may or may not "click" with Pilates.

For more advanced folks, I would love to exchange info re: choreography, equipments, techniques, etc. I want to go deeper, do it more often (time is a challenge), learn and probably get certified as I am very interested in the anatomy and physiology of Pilates. I now do mostly at home, will get a scott reformer once I cleared out some old equipments from my home gym, and go back to the studio for some private lessons. Who knows what will be next - always SO MUCH to learn..

Oh, I like Pilatesanytime.com!

Replies

• fierydeluge
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. As a beginner, this group has been very helpful.

I'm Ex. I embarked on losing weight 6 months ago and it has been a roller coaster ride. I've managed to lose 50 lbs because most of my routine involves cardio, I feel I'm sagging in certain areas. So here I am now. Looking forward to sharing experiences with members here.
  • eso2012
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. As a beginner, this group has been very helpful.

I'm Ex. I embarked on losing weight 6 months ago and it has been a roller coaster ride. I've managed to lose 50 lbs because most of my routine involves cardio, I feel I'm sagging in certain areas. So here I am now. Looking forward to sharing experiences with members here.

50lbs!!! That is amazing!! Sorry to hear about the roller coaster experience but the great thing is that you are aware of it and there are so many ways to improve. It happens to all of us. So glad to have you here.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Chelle, lost 3 stone tailend of last year, but put 2 back on this year :-( need to lose around 80lbs in all now.

I've only done 3 pilates classes at my gym, but enjoy it, so much harder than it looks!

I have no core strength and no flexibility, and my trainer suggested i try it :-)

I run, do weights, swim, really i do anything that takes my fancy at the time so its varied, starting spin again soon and lover aqua aerobics :-)
  • eso2012
    Options
    Hi I'm Chelle, lost 3 stone tailend of last year, but put 2 back on this year :-( need to lose around 80lbs in all now.

I've only done 3 pilates classes at my gym, but enjoy it, so much harder than it looks!

I have no core strength and no flexibility, and my trainer suggested i try it :-)

I run, do weights, swim, really i do anything that takes my fancy at the time so its varied, starting spin again soon and lover aqua aerobics :-)

Chelle, totally agree with your "anything that takes my fancy" approach!! My list of workouts grows literally everyday! HIIT, circuit, TRX, pilates, walk/run (that is new....had to do the summer parenting thing and decided to pace walked around the track while kids are at swimming classes...and I got hooked)....oh my, love it all. I used to be a gym rat, knew every machine/free weight routine by heart, but the results were ok but nothing compared to the tones and strenghts I get by the "newer" schools of training like bodyweight and core training.

I have lost 23+ pounds in 2.5 years. Did not really have a goal, just sick of going from S to M..and creeping up to L! Guess developing my love for exercising, watching out for portions (I eat like a man but only 5.3")...helps a lot. Microgoals, no pressure, so it is easy to maintain too.

Pilates is great for strength and core. Keep it up! Once you have your core/back strength, you will even walk taller :)
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm Dana and am getting myself re-acquainted with my former health.

Previously I had lost about 40lbs (didn`t make my goal weight) and proceeded to gain about 55 lbs back. UG.

No matter though; I`m at it, I know what I did wrong, I know what I was doing right so it`s just a matter of working with what I have now.

When I previously lost I was incorporating Pilates in with my normal cardio and weights so I`d like to do it again but instead switch up the quantity of each type. I was doing too much cardio, my weights were wussy and my Pilates seemed more like an afterthought.

This go around I`m all about the weights (I really love lifting now, it totally invigorates me and I beam with pride when I see I`ve lifted something heavier than I previously could), cardio is there in intervals but aren`t marathon sessions. The Pilates is just as important as the weights. Stretching, toning and challenging your muscles feels wonderful and I find I enjoy it so much now.

Looking forward to working and losing with everyone :)

(Feel free to add me as a MFP friend)
  • eso2012
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm Dana and am getting myself re-acquainted with my former health.

Previously I had lost about 40lbs (didn`t make my goal weight) and proceeded to gain about 55 lbs back. UG.

No matter though; I`m at it, I know what I did wrong, I know what I was doing right so it`s just a matter of working with what I have now.

When I previously lost I was incorporating Pilates in with my normal cardio and weights so I`d like to do it again but instead switch up the quantity of each type. I was doing too much cardio, my weights were wussy and my Pilates seemed more like an afterthought.

This go around I`m all about the weights (I really love lifting now, it totally invigorates me and I beam with pride when I see I`ve lifted something heavier than I previously could), cardio is there in intervals but aren`t marathon sessions. The Pilates is just as important as the weights. Stretching, toning and challenging your muscles feels wonderful and I find I enjoy it so much now.

Looking forward to working and losing with everyone :)

(Feel free to add me as a MFP friend)

Dana - I too am experimenting with new "ratios". Previously I switched completely from weight lifting (which is really invigorating I agree!) to Pilates fors strength. The toned legs, core, back and arms from Pilates (I do advanced mat...and intermediate Reformer) was absolutely amazing. And all without the huffing and puffing of weight lifting. Some muscles were probably never ever used in my life. Part of me was like a dancer's body....I was so impressed. In our Pilate STudio, we also added TRX which uses similar core strength but up the challenge.

But I think I need a bit more than bodyweight training now to scuplt and increase bone mass. I love the results from Jillian Michaels and adore multiple moves (saves time). so I am upping weight and going back to more Pilates (rested for a bit, but mat at home). Cardio was my weak point but no more, as I have discovered. I don't go for marathon anyway...maybe for me it is to move/walk more.

So excited to see that you have a positive atittude and are going through some exercise re-design like me. Do share your progress often!
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options

Chelle, totally agree with your "anything that takes my fancy" approach!! My list of workouts grows literally everyday! HIIT, circuit, TRX, pilates, walk/run (that is new....had to do the summer parenting thing and decided to pace walked around the track while kids are at swimming classes...and I got hooked)....oh my, love it all. I used to be a gym rat, knew every machine/free weight routine by heart, but the results were ok but nothing compared to the tones and strenghts I get by the "newer" schools of training like bodyweight and core training.

I have lost 23+ pounds in 2.5 years. Did not really have a goal, just sick of going from S to M..and creeping up to L! Guess developing my love for exercising, watching out for portions (I eat like a man but only 5.3")...helps a lot. Microgoals, no pressure, so it is easy to maintain too.

Pilates is great for strength and core. Keep it up! Once you have your core/back strength, you will even walk taller :)

Wow you've done fantastic :-) i cant wait to fit more pilates in :-)