What did you start w, timed or distance?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
I think that I'm going to start w the timed 90 walk/60 run plan, but what did you start with?

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Timed, two reasons; I'm out in the nature on a winding path so it is near impossible to estimate accurately the distance and I'm using the Robert Ullrey free time-based podcast on my iPod nano.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Timed, based on the 5K Runner app
    I'm not even at 5K yet and I've finished it, so distance running would have been disappointing
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Timed for me as I use the NHS podcasts (tbh until I came on here I didn't even realise there was a distance version!) and also time is limited in the mornings so on weekdays I'll stick to running for 30mins but hopefully squeeze more distance into that time frame rather than the other way around.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Oddly, Both for me. It depends if I am running on the treadmill or outside. I can easily run a mile on the treadmill, I how ever can't run a mile outside. So if I am on the treadmill I go for time. If I am outside it's for distance.

Edit (to early for me, to many typos)
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Timed. Makes more sense to me at the beginner stage. In the first week my intervals were a minute jogging and that minute goes by no matter what your pace is. No matter how much you have to slow yourself down, that minute is going to end. With distance it isn't going to end until you get there. I think that does make it harder. Especially since in the beginning, distance doesn't matter. Your goal is to build up stamina and increase your running time.
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Timed. I finished W8 D3 last night of the clear sky 5k app and my distance was 3.2 miles. So I am right at a 5k with the 5 min warm up and cool down walk and 35 minutes of slow jogging. This week I'll start the 5k forever app to start working on my speed. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Timed. I've also heard the very good reasoning that timed allows your body to work at it's own ability level. If you are stronger a particular day, you will run longer. If you go for distance, you're going to be pushing yourself on days you are a little fatigued and that's not fun for anybody.
  • Jhs1987
    Jhs1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started with timed using C25K and it worked really well. Once I could consistently run several times a week I started going by distance.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Time
    I still train by time not distance
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I use the RunDouble C25k app. The first 3 weeks are timed then you can either do timed or distance. I chose to do distance, so when I finished the program, I was running 3 miles straight.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I too started with a timed interval training.

I am now on w1d3 of the actual c25k program but w3d3 of interval running
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Timed. I figured it would all even out eventually, and it pretty much did.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Timed because it's easier to keep track of.
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Timed, just to get me used to running. Once I finish the program, I'll restart and focus on distance.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I did timed. This seemed more attainable to me. I didn't feel like I had to push myself to an uncomfortable pace. I finished C25K last week and decided to run for distance today. I ran 3 miles in 33 minutes. Since the last C25K workout is a 30 minute run, this seemed like a reasonable goal for me today.
  • SB926
    SB926 Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried timed several times, and failed each time. I wasn't using a phone app, just a wristwatch. After failing to get through week 3 almost a dozen times, I finally decided watching the clock was defeating me mentally. So I tried something different. I started by walking a set 3 mile route, 1.5 mile out then turn around. After a few days of that, I ran to first mailbox on my route, then walked the rest of the day. Every second or third time, I made myself go one more mailbox. After 6 weeks, I was running the entire 3 miles.

May not be the 'right' way, but it worked for me.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I use the RunDouble C25k app. The first 3 weeks are timed then you can either do timed or distance. I chose to do distance, so when I finished the program, I was running 3 miles straight.

Me too. I did the RunDouble distance version. Worked for me. I felt challenged at times and had to did deep, but it never wowed for the impossible.