Primal - Cheese Consumption

My question is - what is everyone's opinion on cheese consumption whilst on Primal, either with weight-loss/maintenance etc.
I have read conflicting information regarding consumption along with what is the most acceptable/best types of cheeses. Interested to know what other peoples views are regarding cheese consumption.

Replies

• ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    I'm mostly paleo but every now and again when I need to get some fat (or damnit I just want some cheese!) I usually grab about 1.5 or 2 oz of hard parmesan cheese. It has a nice calorie, fat and protein content without many carbs. I mostly use it as a snack rather than in meals so that I don't over do it.

I don't see any harm either in using higher fat cheeses if you're struggling to get up your fat content. Just keep an eye on the carbs if you're keeping it low for weight loss. A little research goes a long way :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I eat cheese--but only raw milk cheese. Gives me some nice extra protein and fat.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    I eat cheese--but only raw milk cheese. Gives me some nice extra protein and fat.

This!!!! But I don't eat it everyday!!!!!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    I think since starting paleo/primal, I've had haloumi once and feta twice. I have no idea if these cheeses are any good for you -- in my head, they must be better (as in less processed and artificial) than the generic 'tasty' cheese that you usually get here in Australia.

tbh I don't miss cheese at all. the thought of something like a grilled cheese sandwich makes me feel a little queasy these days.
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    I have noticed myself eating wayyy too much cheese lately, and mostly not a "healthy" non-processed type(s). My goal is to not have cheese in or on anything this week, and see how it goes. I love cheesy-gooey-ness so this is going to be a challenge, but one that needs doing.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Raw milk cheese here too, but rarely (<1/week). I do eat quark a lot though right now, make it myself from organic milk (not raw, unfortunately). I am hoping that casein will help with muscular growth. Eventually.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    I consider myself 'Primal.'

I try and stick to either raw milk cheeses from my local farmer's market- ( LOVE summer, right?!) I get mine from a farm that is certified organic, and has grass-fed cows, and even some goats.

Just got some raw gouda last week that is heavenly. When I eat it, I try to keep it to every other day or so, and no more than an ounce at a time.

I also sneak some organic mild cheddar in too, on like a weekly basis- again, no more than an ounce a week.
  • I eat cheese and heavy cream. Both are good sources of fat and cheese also has good protein for you. I don't eat any sort of processed anything cheese. I get quality stuff that was made the old fashioned way, or none at all. I am not "paleo" and just mostly primal. I'd note that Gary Taubes is just fine with you having some cheese in low to moderate quantities, like 1-2 oz/daily.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Raw milk cheese here too, but rarely (<1/week). I do eat quark a lot though right now, make it myself from organic milk (not raw, unfortunately). I am hoping that casein will help with muscular growth. Eventually.

How do you make your own quark? It's been so long since I made it, I've forgotten. We have access to raw milk at the moment, does that make a difference?
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    I think since starting paleo/primal, I've had haloumi once and feta twice. I have no idea if these cheeses are any good for you -- in my head, they must be better (as in less processed and artificial) than the generic 'tasty' cheese that you usually get here in Australia.

tbh I don't miss cheese at all. the thought of something like a grilled cheese sandwich makes me feel a little queasy these days.

I have a private theory that the smellier the cheese, the healthier it is. Of course, it's only one of those theories (like calories eaten while standing don't count, hah)... I haven't put it to the test. However, we have a German grocery store across town that sells the really stinky cheese we love -- we only get it a couple of times a year because it's not really in the budget. Guess at Christmas time (one of the times we go there) I'll find out how I feel the day after eating some.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    I just started back doing Paleo this week, but I do use a little cheese. I find it livens up the endless eggs and some of the other dishes like marinara sauce and spaghetti squash. I am going to try to keep it very minimal though.
  • dawndm88
    dawndm88 Posts: 23 Member
    I don't eat much cheese since doing the Whole30. I find when I do it causes me to be gassy and bloated. It also makes my eczema worse. I tend to avoid all dairy but would think it doesn't have to be. If you want some cheese, choose organic and minimally processed is best.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    I'm avoiding all things "dairy". Cheese is one of the foods that makes me overindulge, therefore I'm considering myself to be 'allergic'. I won't consume any dairy product until a time far into the future.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I'll eat cheese (2oz or less) two to three times a week. I usually stick to cheddar, Gouda, blue cheese or feta. It is a nice little snack (approximately 250 calories).

In addition to cheese, I also take whey protein (one serving per day) and cottage cheese or Greek yogurt (one serving per week). I feel that we have adapted to certain foods over the last 10,000 years to include dairy and beans. I don't need it for proper nutrition, but my body can handle it if that's what I want (or have to) eat.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    For some reason, dairy makes my blood sugar completely nutso. If not for that, I would eat it!