Paleo/Primal - Bacon & Eggs -Yes/No

Options
My Questions are: From a Paleo perspective is Bacon a yes or a no. - I've found conflicting information on this topic. From a Primal perspective I gather it is okay. But Paleo appears conflicted. ( I am aware of Nitrates, Hormone-free, Grass/pasture Fed "organic" etc factors .

As for eggs some websites say to limit consumption ( or only eat whites ) whereas others say don't worry about it eat as many as you like (within reason). Could anyone give Clarification?

At current my view is from a weight-loss perspective I assume you would limit consumption of both these items and possibly use caution and monitor consumption closely if you suffer high cholesterol/BP. ( I don't know what the consensus is in regards to this view though I'm just going from a common sense perspective (eg. input vs output.)

(Referring to Australian Bacon... which is supposedly different from American/Canadian/British etc.)

Replies

• mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think you can find conflicting arguments regarding what is and isn't paleo for pretty much any food.

I eat lots of both. Especially if I'm eating out for breakfast, its the easiest option - bacon & poached eggs with spinach & tomato, no toast.

SO.... go with your gut. Things you read on the internet should always be taken with a grain of salt, imo. There are some pretty extreme opinions out there
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I eat an unreasonable amount of both. Actually, when I was losing the most weight, I was eating between two and four pounds of bacon a week. I eat nearly that much now, but I'm much closer to goal and so I'm not losing a whole lot in general, even when I cut out such things entirely.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon and/or eggs pretty much daily. I didn't think there was a lot of conflicting info out there in the primal/paleo community abotu this. And with your view re: cholecterol, etc., you really need to do more research because dietary cholesterol and saturated fat have nothing to do with having high cholesterol. I don't think you understand the premise of this lifestyle. A great resource for you would be www.marksdailyapple.com to get you started.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon and/or eggs pretty much daily. I didn't think there was a lot of conflicting info out there in the primal/paleo community abotu this. And with your view re: cholecterol, etc., you really need to do more research because dietary cholesterol and saturated fat have nothing to do with having high cholesterol. I don't think you understand the premise of this lifestyle. A great resource for you would be www.marksdailyapple.com to get you started.

This is correct, she's right on the money.

I eat bacon and eggs regularly. It has improved my blood work numbers tremendously. In fact, my numbers are great. High fat diet is amazing.

So, YES. To both.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon. I buy the nitrate free with no sugar. The ingredients are: pork and sea salt. Sounds pretty paleo to me!!!

Oh and (pasture raised) eggs???? The more, the merrier!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Love me some bacon and eggs!!!!!!!

I eat a lot of eggs whether by themselves or in my baking. My eggs are pasture raised and are never fed soy or corn or grains. And the bacon I eat has no nitrates.

EAT the yolks......they're good for you!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to bacon, when I can't find nitrate free, I get pork side cuts from a butcher at the local farmer's market. It's essentially just uncured bacon--just season it and crisp it up in the oven and it's heavenly!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Pastured eggs... Yes, please.
    Pastured bacon... Yes, please.

I worry less about nitrates and sugar and more about the source of the bacon. I think having "clean" fat on the bacon is most important, since I use the bacon grease to cook and season my pans long after the bacon is gone.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    here is an interesting article on nitrates from a reliable source
    I love bacon but have no access to good bacon and I find when I eat the bacon I get here,it causes digestive distress
    http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've never heard that bacon and eggs aren't paleo/primal. They're both a staple.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    here is an interesting article on nitrates from a reliable source
    I love bacon but have no access to good bacon and I find when I eat the bacon I get here,it causes digestive distress
    http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

I didn't click the link but I think that article and one by Michael Ruhlman convinced me that paying more for nitrate-free was a marketing ploy, and I'd rather pay more to get pastured bacon. I have 2 lbs of bacon curing right now from my CSA, cured by a local chef for an extra $10. I didn't even ask about what he uses to cure, and I'm sure sugar and nitrates are involved. I just know my bacon was a pig eating lovely organic food scraps and hanging out in the woods as of last Thursday. That's good bacon.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The only reason I have heard to limit egg intake was because eggs were a seasonal item in paleo times. This argument was also used for limiting fruit (berries) consumption. I think this information came from Cordain's book.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The only reason I have heard to limit egg intake was because eggs were a seasonal item in paleo times. This argument was also used for limiting fruit (berries) consumption. I think this information came from Cordain's book.
    I follow the fruit rule and only eat fruit in season and local.
    It's wild berry season here and we are picking like mad to stock up for the winter.
    I haven't heard the info about the eggs though.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I really get furious at the anti egg bs. Eat eggs with the yolks! I know there is some reasoning behind them being seasonal, but compared to other modern foods that people consume every day, I say the eggs are the least of our worries. Of course, some people following an Autoimmune Protocol may be avoiding them. Tailor your diet to suit your needs, but I NEVER advise eating only egg whites. Never.

As for bacon: get the best stuff you can. Grass fed and uncured would be preferred. Get to know some local farmers. I live in the Arctic so I have no local farmers (trying to find sources online) so I do the best with what i have. I eat regular bacon (low sugar, low sodium) but in limited amounts.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    So, I took my cholesterol from 292 to under 200, my BP from 150/100 to 110/70 and my weight down 30 pounds eating two eggs for breakfast every morning. I cooked the eggs in butter, too. And I ate some sort of meat with them, bacon or sausage or left over steak or whatever. I did that over a 6 month period of time.

Eggs are one of nature's perfect foods. Especially if you get them the way nature intended, by gathering from chickens that eat and live free range. My family keeps a small set of hens (4) and no rooster in our backyard. The girls get to get out of their run and roam about the yard several hours a day, eating grass and bugs. They are fed an organic feed high in Omega-3's. Their eggs, if they were tested, would be balanced in O-3:0-6 fatty acids, have a great balance of protein and fat and taste fantastic.

If you can't keep your backyard chickens, you can do just as good at your local farmer's market. There are plenty of sub-urban and rural chicken farmers looking to sell their organic, free range eggs to you. And not much more than you will pay for industrially produced eggs at the grocery store. If that solution isn't available, then your grocery store has good options, too. Look for organic eggs, preferably, or eggs labeled free range. Avoid the industrial produced "Grade AA Large" eggs, which are nothing but Omega-6 fatty acids.

The cholesterol in eggs, by the way, has no impact on cholesterol in your body. That cholesterol in your body is caused by having too high tri-glycerides, insulin resistance, and significant inflammation and oxidization issues. All of that comes from eating too many carbs and too much sugar. :-D
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon. I buy the nitrate free with no sugar. The ingredients are: pork and sea salt. Sounds pretty paleo to me!!!

Oh and (pasture raised) eggs???? The more, the merrier!

Not trying to be a nag but nitrate free bacon has just as much nitrates in it as traditional. Celery has tons of it in it naturally and if you look they swap the sodium for celery powder. There is usually an asterisk next to "nitrate/nitrite free". The disclaimer says something about excluding naturally occurring.

Your saliva also has a ton of nitrates or nitrites in it as well and the research that started the big scare has since been torn apart in peer review.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I also eat a TON of both. Daily if I can. I try for lower nitrate - but won't let a few stop me.
    Regarding cholesterol limiting - do some more homework.
    Eggs and bacon do NOT hurt your cholesterol.
    I have insanely good bloodwork - that only got a whole bunch better after eating a whole lot home bacon and eggs.
    Best food ever.