Training for my first HALF!!

Options
Hi everyone! I am training for my first half marathon but it's not until October. I have been running with a neighbor and we had our longest run ever on Sunday... 10.2 miles! I felt GREAT afterwards but tired. Like I really accomplished something.

I have done 2 5ks, just registered for my first 10K in September (and thinking about registering for one the end of this month) and of course my half. I am so excited and ready to do this.

Anyone else in the middle or towards the end of training for their first half? My goal is just to finish then I will worry about time for the next one! :) What is the furthest distance that you are going to be doing or, if you have done a half, what is the furthest that you trained for? Thanks!

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You have already run 10 miles, and that is the longest a lot of people run before their first half, but I think it is a lot better to run at least 13 or more miles (slow!). Don't run them like you are racing them. My really long runs are anywhere from 10:30 to 11:30 or slower pace, but I can race it in 9:something (we'll see on my next half!). McMillan.com has a great pace calculator based on a recent race result, and will also give you training pace ranges which are helpful. My third half is at the end of September, and I plan on getting in some runs in the 14-15 or over range.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Not in the middle. I have done maybe 20 something halves and half dozen marathons. I think for my first 1/2 I went as high as 16 in training, but you really do not need to do that. Now I generally will have or two 14 milers for my top run for a half. And like has already been said, this should be quite a bit slower than normal.

Happy to try and answer any questions. Have fun!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have number 4 coming up. I met plenty of people at the start (and finish) line who trained up to 10 miles and made the distance on the day.

Personally for my first I trained up to 13miles (saving the final 0.1 for on the day :-) ) because I wanted the confidence going into the race that I could do it. That helped me a lot. On race day I was totally confident I could reach the end without stopping and so concentrated on my target pace and enjoying myself.

To be clear, I certainly didn't do 13miles every long run, I would vary between 10 and 13.

I hope you have fantastic time, it's a wonderful experience and a great achievement!!!

Happy to share any other experiences that you wish.

Best of luck.
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am training for my fourth in September but just want to give you a high five and best of luck with your first one - you can't really top that sense of achievement when you finish your first!
  • HeatherG21
    HeatherG21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So exciting! I am training for my 4 half, which is in november. I am planning on a few long runs at 13+. But for my first half I ran a few 10 milers and 1 13 mile training run, that was my longest. Like sjb74uk said, I just wanted the confidence to know I could do it. (And just running the entire time and finish was my goal too!)

Good luck with your training, you'll do great!
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My first half is in November - the longest training distance I'm planning is 19kms (11.8miles). I only started training a few weeks ago, the longest distance I've run so far is 10kms (6.2miles) so hopefully I can get there. I've never done any sort of running so this is definitely a challenge!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My first 1/2 was supposed to be last June...yes WAS, because I got derailed by an injury 2 weeks before the race and had to pull out:( It was tough because I felt so ready! So I'm looking to do a fall 1/2, maybe in Oct like you or Nov and will have to get back into training mode soon. My longest runs during training was 20K; so almost the actual distance and I did that a couple of times. Personally I felt like I needed to do it, to mentally prepare myself and to gain the confidence. I really wanted to be able to finish strong and not be crawling across the finish line lol. But that's just me. I still hope to! Best of luck on your training & happy running! :)
  • cmorrill476
    Options
    I'm training for my first as well! Tomorrow is my first 10k, I am nervous but super excited! I plan on running 13 miles on a long run day just so I can go into half confident! Good luck to you!
  • erinalysa14
    Options
    I am in my 2nd week of training for my first half also! It is on Dec 14th. I am using Jeff Galloway's training schedule, so far so good! However, on his plan, there is a 14 miler on week 15 (this is a 17 week training schedule) and not going to lie, that terrifies me lol. Good luck to everyone :)
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am doing a modified JG program too. I have been hitting 10-11 miles for the past 3-4 weeks. When I first looked at the program, I NEVER thought I would get there. Well, I AM THERE!!! Just stick to it and it really does work. When my running partner and I go out.. it used to be a short run was 3 miles... now its about 6-7!!! :) We laugh about that all of the time! Good luck!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half marathon on Saturday! I had trained up to 13 miles once, but usually stayed between the 8-12 mile range. Personally I think there's a big difference between 10 and 13 miles though many training programs insinuate that training to 10 miles is adequate...
  • Amy_Andrews
    Options
    I'm in the middle of training for my first half too (Nov 16). So far my longest run has been 10 miles, but I think I'll get a 13 miler in before the race. My training plan has me training in time rather than distance, so it's kinda weird. I'm def setting a "just finish" goal, but am aiming for 2:30. Fingers crossed :)

Good luck to you with the rest of your training!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have a half on Oct 20th and another Nov 9th.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have my first half on Nov. 3rd! We're following Hal Higdon's Beginner 2 training program with some modifications since we started training early. Last sunday I did 10 miles, and we're doing 10 again this week, 1 week at 11, 2 weeks of runs between 8-11 miles (my roommate and I are both out of town, so whatever we're able to fit in) and peaking at 12 miles the week before our half. I'm so excited and can't wait! I also need more runner friends...
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of interesting stories in this thread. It's a month later - would love some updates on how everyone is doing!
  • erinalysa14
    Options
    When I first posted, my long run was 4 miles. This past Sat, I ran 9.5. I could never, ever imagine running for almost 2 hours straight in the beginning of this training. The best part is, I didnt feel overly exhausted or like I was going to die lol. I really look forward to long runs now because each week I can say "wow this is the farthest I've ever run!" This weekend, I am tackling 11 miles! 13.1 is still a wee bit scary but not as daunting :)
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations!! I can't wait to reach that point! Any particular strategies that worked well for you?
  • erinalysa14
    Options
    For me, it's all about a scenic route. When I am on a pretty trail with lots of other runners it always gets me in the zone :)
    Good luck with your training!!